Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy IX

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 07, 2000

Zidane Tribal and his troupe attempt to abduct Princess Garnet of Alexandria in this throwback to the classics of the series.

Just picked it up on the US PSN...

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By ttocs

Since this is the only Final Fantasy game (US released) that I haven't played yet, I figured I'd give it a shot.  A lot of people claim this is the best in the series going as far as saying it surpassed VII.  If that is the case, I can't wait to experience it.

I only played a little bit last night since most of my time was spent waiting for it to download.  1.5GB takes a while on the PSP.  Anyways, my question to everyone is what should I expect?  How does this game hold up to the test of time?  I'm just looking for some opinions on what you guys think of the game.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By defaulttag
    @ttocs: I love FF9. They went back to their fantasy roots rather than the steampunk stuff or super sci-fi like the last few recent ones.  Classic turn based and each character has only one specific class. The sidequests are plenty and quite fun. The Chocobo treasure hunting system is deep and challenging, but user friendly and rewarding (Ultimate Weapons for example). The story is actually touching, not overly tragic like others. The characters each have a story to tell, not just the main hero. The graphics are of course only PS1. It looked good back then because it was at the end of the PS1's cycle, pushing the system to its limit. The only other game I can think of that looked better for PS1 is Square's own Chrono Cross.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Burns098356GX

Loved FF9, favorite game of the series, possibly of any game I've ever played. Easy to understand battle system, the leveling system is easy, its a throwback to older (like NES, GameBoy era). Plot is pretty strong throughout the entire game, most playable character have a strong relation to the plot.

Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Ashby

Gotta agree and pile on more FFIX love here. It's fantastic, having this whimsical fun humor that helps temper some of the game's darker moments. The protagonist is one of my favorites for a Final Fantasy game, and it's just damn fun to play. Hope you enjoy it! : )

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mmmslash

FF IX is the best 3D Final Fantasy, without a doubt. Whether it's better than IV or VI is questionable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.