Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VI

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 02, 1994

Formerly known as Final Fantasy III in North America, Final Fantasy VI follows a diverse group of heroes as they fight to defeat Kefka, a megalomaniac intent on using a combination of long-lost magic and technology to take over the world.

How's the PSN Version?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Red

I've been looking at finishing up some of the older Final Fantasies I started, but never actually finished (4-6). While I do own all of the old games on the GBA, I would have to play them on my DS, which, in addition to not having some buttons on that old thing work, would require me to use (and find) cartridges. I would much prefer having a digital version that I could switch between playing on my PSP and my PS3. Pretty much all of the Final Fantasies are available on PSN, but considering their status as PSone "classics", I assume they use the older versions that appeared on the PSone, from before they were retranslated for the GBA. Are these versions and translations decent? While I haven't heard that many bad things about the FF6 translation, I have heard some about the FF5 one (I.E., protagonist's name being Butz). How much of a difference does the new translation make? Is the Engrish used in older versions charming, or annoying? Should I just suck it up and dig out my DS?

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By bongchilla

I know FFVI on PSN is the anthology version (that came with V). If I remember correctly there was some slowdown with that version and the translation won't be as updated as the GBA version.

Game is still great regardless though I'd say get it on PSN it's readily available and you won't have to find a cart.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

It's fine. Might have to deal with load times but there shouldn't be an issue.

monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By monstersnsoup

The translation on 6 is fine. 5 is a bit wonky at points, but still a fine game. I wouldn't worry about load times. The PSone versions had some notorious load times, but mainly because they were reading discs.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

If I'm not mistaken, you can change the name in 5 so the protagonist's name being mistranslated ought not be a big problem.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alkaiser

It's not the preferable way to play it, but its still alright. The loading can be annoying though. And the evade bug is still in it. If you can, play it on the GBA if portable systems aren't a problem for you.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NegativeCero

I have no frame of reference since I'm playing it for the first on the GBA right now, but I've been enjoying it. I haven't noticed any weird translation and they added a few dungeons to it. I'd recommend it if you ever change your mind.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

holy shit. i wasn't even aware that these games were on PSN and i just got a PS3............i will be buying these very soon, rhank you. And sorry i didnt answer your question

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By happenstance

Now that it can be played on my Vita I will probably get a copy of FFVI soon, will give me something else for Extra Life.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ckeats

People elsewhere were posting pics and it looks awesome on Vita. Still has those loading times though, but they're not that bad, more so if you've never played it before like I have.

Knibbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Knibbly

Is it available in the US for Vita yet?

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By sodacat

It's the worst version. The load times are inexcusable since the entire game could have fit into the system's RAM. Get any other version of VI you can find.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Farkas

@sodacat said:

It's the worst version. The load times are inexcusable since the entire game could have fit into the system's RAM. Get any other version of VI you can find.

A bit of an overreaction. The load times are pretty bad but that's the only strike against it.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The PS1 versions are an abomination since they immortalize the downsides of optical disc loading times which didn't even exist in the original release.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

If you can get any other version, except the smartphone version, get that one.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

It's fine. It's a bit sluggish in comparison to the SNES original, but nothing too bad. Just adds like a second of loading times whenever you do anything like opening a menu.

It's a minor inconvenience to play one of the best games ever created.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't deal with it, the snes version being the last one I played before this, those load times made me impatient, which is crazy because they aren't THAT long but when you add that shit up(all dose battles), it's fucking looooooong. I feel like it's close to uninstalled Lost Odyssey(probably not even close because I installed the shit outta LO after a few battles).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.