A Comparison of FF7 Remake and FF7 Advent Children

#1 Edited by liquiddragon (3463 posts) -

I wanted to see how the visuals of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake stood up against the CG movie, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Advent Children was a direct-to-video feature length film released on DVD and UMD in 2005. In 2009, an extended cut called Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children Complete was released on Blu-ray. Unfortunately, the high definition version was an upscale of the original, with only the additional new scenes rendered in native 1080p.

Still, I thought it would be fun to see how the bar set by Visual Works at the time have aged and how it compares to the current, most modern iterations of some of the beloved characters from this series. The comparison was somewhat tricky because most of the characters only make a very brief cameo in the movie and for the Remake, we only have couple trailers representative of the game that's supposed to come out next year, not to mention lighting conditions are quite different in most instances.

Below is a comparison of a Blu-ray rip of the movie FF7: ACC and the highest quality E3 and State of Play trailers I could find of FF7R.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#2 Edited by Casepb (725 posts) -

I didn't realize just how much Cloud looked like Lightning in Advent Children. Seems like in the remake they tried to make his face a bit more manly, but not much. Also Tifa has some weird red eyes going on in the remake. She also looks older in the remake, but she should look younger.

#3 Posted by Damodar (2184 posts) -

@casepb: That's actually the colour they should be. I think that's one of the reasons why Advent Children Tifa never really felt like Tifa to me, as much as I thought she looked cool.

Thanks for the comparison, @liquiddragon, it's interesting to see them side by side like that. Not only do I prefer the features and proportions of the remake designs etc, it also shows how much stronger the art direction is. Some really great lighting in those shots, good contrast and stuff. Advent Children looks really flat and washed out in comparison.

#4 Edited by MrGreenMan (223 posts) -

I could go on a rant on what a mess Advent children is and how much I despise that nonsensical mess of a CGI fuck fest, and it makes me upset how similar they look. I really do hope they only took visual inspiration from Advent Children, because any inspiration from the "story" of Advent Children would be a massive mistake.

#5 Posted by FacelessVixen (2639 posts) -

I guess Unreal 4 allows for sharper textures and more lighting? I mean, other than the subtle differences between the character models, I guess Unreal 4 is an upgrade?

...Now I want Advent Children on Blu-ray. Just because.

@mrgreenman said:

I could go on a rant on what a mess Advent children is...

Actually, do tell, in great detail. I have no strong attachment to FFVII or JRPGs that aren't Persona 4 so this might be amusing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.