Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 10, 2020

Teased since the PlayStation 3's debut, Square Enix finally delivers a complete remake of the fan favorite Final Fantasy from 1997.

Cards on the Table: Is This Going to be Another Kingdom Hearts?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I have very little nostalgia for FFVII generally, but the positive buzz from friends, and this very site, have me interested. At the very least.

However, the announcement of something like 16 spin-offs without a proper sequel on the horizon has forced me to seriously ask: is this going to be another Kingdom Hearts? Where we get a cliffhanger ending, then a bunch of spin-offs, then a proper sequel a decade later that also ends on a cliffhanger, so there's never any resolution?

Obviously none of us can see into the future, that's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is: does this feel like it's repeating the same cycle? Cause I haven't kept up with what the spin-offs actually are, because I don't want to be spoiled for the main game, which does seem neat. But I don't need another series of disappointing cliffhangers in my life.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Looking from the outside in having not played FFVII Remake it reminds me more of those Evangelion Rebuild movies. Ie. Remakes that diverge further and further into new material. Not sure how well received those have been but I wouldn't be surprised if it caught on.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Impossible to say at this point, because it's Squeenix and this is going to take a long time (if it ever finishes) but so far I am not worried.

The battle royale is just a battle royale game. I doubt it will have any core story stuff in it. The other game looks like it takes place in the original continuity and brings all that stuff together but isn't necessarily tied to the remake timeline. I'm not 100% clear on this, but it covers the whole scope of FF VII so if it did get into the remake stuff it would spoil where they're going, which seems unlikely.

The Yuffie DLC is just DLC, and looks like a side story, so is unconcerning.

So while I'd say that the number of projects is maybe a little concerning, and the fact that it's Squeenix is always concerning, there aren't a lot of clear red flags as of yet.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@bigsocrates: @hayt:

Thanks very much, these are both the sorts of answers I was hoping for!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.