Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 10, 2020

Teased since the PlayStation 3's debut, Square Enix finally delivers a complete remake of the fan favorite Final Fantasy from 1997.

I'm the jerk who wants this

• 79 results
    indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By indieslaw

I've been hearing a lot of people wondering about who this game is for, and I can answer that.

Me. It's for me.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

why

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

well this is pointless

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

me too, i also like anime so yeah....

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

The only jerks are the ones that feel the need to piss all over other people's excitement and to ignore the fact that FF7 is a beloved game by many. Not by me mind you, as I've never been that heavily invested in any FF game. But still, the amount of snark that erupted around this announcement was just embarrassing.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hey man, that's cool.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's for me, you liar. They did it for me. The guy looked me in the eye when he was introducing the trailer, I swear.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me too.

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I found the announcement a lot more exciting than almost anything else this week. Obviously we have no idea what the actual product will be like--and I'll be the first to admit that FFVII probably hasn't aged well--but I'm really curious to see more of it.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty pumped to to buy this, play 2 hours of it, and never touch it again. Like with FFX remaster.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#11 fisk0  Moderator

Out of all the remakes we've gotten recently, this one seems to be one of the most deserving of it - especially since, as others have pointed out, the original doesn't hold up all that well anymore. Isn't that why remakes should be done in the first place?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Are you ready for HD snowboarding?

Snipen8r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup can't wait!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I feel like we've been in the "backlash against Final Fantasy VII" period far longer than the period where that game was basically The One True JRPG. I don't even have much affinity for it and I've long since tired of the dumping parade that happens every time it's mentioned.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

The only jerks are the ones that feel the need to piss all over other people's excitement and to ignore the fact that FF7 is a beloved game by many. Not by me mind you, as I've never been that heavily invested in any FF game. But still, the amount of snark that erupted around this announcement was just embarrassing.

PREACH!!! I can understand people being disappointed and/or simply disinterested, but a lot of folks seem almost genuinely annoyed with the whole thing which I just don't get.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it, it's not for you it's for me.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am with Brad in that it's just a bummer that resources are going into this instead of something new. Same goes for all the HD remakes.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like you could have shared that in a very appropriate thread here but what the hell? Me too.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

You should have just replied to those threads instead of making a thread just to say this.

Usually you make a thread to start a conversation.

This is more like spam.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

I am with Brad in that it's just a bummer that resources are going into this instead of something new. Same goes for all the HD remakes.

FF11, FF13, FF13-2, FF13-3 and Verses 13 SE new stuff has been steller. Haven't had a proper console AAA turn based JRPG since Lost Odyssey, how are they wasting resources? FF7 remake will outsell every game SE put out last gen.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People wanted it and people are getting I don't see the problem. Happy for you TC I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Everyone just think about it like this FFVII remake/Shemue 3 existing means and new Chrono game is far more likely now. Though I'd really appreciate an english Seiken Densetsu 3 with drop in crossplay so my buddies could just hop in and control Kevin/Riesz while Hawkeye and I Split Image everything. >.>;

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

FF11, FF13, FF13-2, FF13-3 and Verses 13 SE new stuff has been steller. Haven't had a proper console AAA turn based JRPG since Lost Odyssey, how are they wasting resources? FF7 remake will outsell every game SE put out last gen.

Did you mean hasn't been stellar? I haven't seen someone use the word stellar with FF13 in a few years.

Also I never said they are wasting resources, I said it's a bummer that this is where they are putting their resources. This is good business decision for them because it will make them money, and it will make the fans happy. I said it's a bummer because we are in a time now where nostalgia has more power then originality.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Hunter5024

Obnoxious hate of Final Fantasy 7 has always been more insufferable than obnoxious love of Final Fantasy 7, and for years it seems like there's been way more of the former than the latter.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully: Yeah stellar sarcasm SE output last gen was crap, sorry you implied they were wasting resources. Nostalgia with a purpose after FF10 remaster and with Bravery Default success it'll show SE theirs still a market for AAA turn based JRPG, and I'll get a remake of one my favourite games.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It isn't for me, but I'm not going to pretend people don't want it or that they shouldn't.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Why do we have to be jerks to want this? I never played FFVII when it released. I've refused to go back due to how poorly it's aged. I look forward to finally giving this 'gem' a shot.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#28 alistercat  Online

You're not a jerk. Neither are all the people I know who don't play videogames and are super excited to buy a PS4 just for this. I might be a jerk and I will buy it, but those two aren't related.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cmblasko

Brad should clarify what he means when he says "waste of resources" because barring some sort of development disaster the game is almost certainly going to make back its investment and then some.

Also, this game is actually made for me. Cloud told me so last night, while I was driving home from work, right after he gave me instructions on how to destroy the nuclear reactor in my city. Those things are ruining our planet, you know... ever heard of a little something called "climate change?" Don't even get me started on preventing Meteor from being summoned...

edgeCrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By edgeCrusher

Honest question: To the people that are hyped for this, did you guys get to play the original PSX version? At or around launch I mean.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that people get excited, since skepticism often stops me.

Final Fantasy VII is one of my all-time favorite games, bar none. However, that was 18 years ago. The world was such an innocent place, and so were we. People have expanded (or narrowed) their expectations for entertainment, what with the rise of western development in the past two decades; a highly melodramatic Japanese anime maybe doesn't fit the bill for adults anymore.

Let's hope they do an traditionally rooted overhaul, instead of going for Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: The Game.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@cmblasko:He was pretty clear when he said it that he meant that he would rather see Square making something new with all the money this will take. If he actually wanted to play the game he probably wouldn't say that, but it is consistent with Giantbomb's opposition to HD remakes, even though they're typically talking about remasters and not rebuilding things from the ground up. I do think that it's a difficult position to defend though, to say they should develop something else when they have new games coming in so many of their franchises (including FF).

@edgecrusher: I'm excited and played the game on the PC (In '98 or '99). I'm told its translation was much cleaner than the PS1's, so I've never really felt it was fair when people trash my nostalgia for the game by invoking its poor writing.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgecrusher: I was 13 i believe when this came out. I saved 2 weeks worth of lunch money to buy this game. This was the game that made me a gamer. I did not want to tarnish the memory of this game with a remake but the entire army of hell itself will have to stop me from playing it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'm not that big on FF7, nor am I super thrilled that a remake got announced, but hey guess what? It's okay to be happy about this. Anyone who expresses disdain for the people excited for this are the real jerks.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I thought it was weird Brad was so concerned with Square's precious resources when he doesn't give a crap about 99% of the new stuff they put out anyway. Let the FF7 fans have this one, I say.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've never played a FF game so maybe I will play this one....maybe.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be an even bigger jerk and say this:

Since the trailer said something to the effect of "First on PlayStation 4," I'll take that as a hint that it'll be ported to other systems, and I'll hold out after that PS4 exclusivity and wait for the PC version.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ripelivejam

eww wanting things gross

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honest question: To the people that are hyped for this, did you guys get to play the original PSX version? At or around launch I mean.

Yes.

@cmblasko:He was pretty clear when he said it that he meant that he would rather see Square making something new with all the money this will take. If he actually wanted to play the game he probably wouldn't say that, but it is consistent with Giantbomb's opposition to HD remakes, even though they're typically talking about remasters and not rebuilding things from the ground up. I do think that it's a difficult position to defend though, to say they should develop something else when they have new games coming in so many of their franchises (including FF).

Yeah, like they have been making new games and he hasn't really been playing them or paying attention to them so, yeah. I don't see the "waste" in placating the significant number of people who have been clamoring for this to be remade for at least, what, 5 years?

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#40  Edited By donutfever

I've never played it, it's still talked about today. If I end up liking FFXV, I'll probably try this.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I played FF7 roughly when it came out, and I was roughly 5 years old. It took me a few years to beat and I needed a guide. FF7 was THE GAME that made me care about video games. Music in video games (thankyou Uematsu!), characters in video games, story, graphics, diverse and memorable locations/environments. Before that yeah my older brothers had a snes and nes, but those games I didn't really care about. Super Mario, Metroid. But FF7! Holy cow, partly members, limit breaks, magic, items, 3d environments, CG cinematics! It was literally unlike anything my 5-yearold-self had ever seen before! I didn't start playing right away, I watched my older brother play. But soon enough I started playing. =P

As I said it took a few years to beat, I needed a guide, a few restarts from the beginning, but I did it! And ahhh the credits... the music! The ending cinematic!

Anyways yeah, since playing FF7, for the whole PS1 era (which was basically my early childhood), I LOVED the FF series! 7, 8, 9 and Tactics. After X-2 I stopped really caring about the series though. =( I bought the X/X-2 HD Remaster, and had a good time replaying X/X-2 with the updated graphics, and analyzing the story/themes a little more deeply this time around. Partly also because a part of me wants to support Square, and hope that they can get back on their feet with some amazing RPGs.

I was NOT one of those people 'begging' for a remake. I still have the ps1 game discs, and I can play them whenever I want, with all the awesome hilarious polygonal animations. But man... if they're gonna do a huge modern-gen remake, sure I'll take it! And damn that makes me hype. I'm pretty sure I'm just as nervous/excited about the remake as every other fan (like how are they going to do THAT part, i wonder how this part will look, how the music will sound etc.), but i'm sure that's the same as waiting for any other thing to be released, right?

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By recroulette

That game is going to be a clusterfuck and piss people off no matter what they do, I'm excited to see how they actually do it. I was originally hoping they would keep it as close to the main story as possible with nothing taken out (Cid's domestic violence, Hojo trying to make Red XIII and Aeris mate, Cloud going into Tifa's underwear drawer, Honey Bee Inn) but if Nomura wants to mess with it? Go right ahead. Put Genesis in there. Have the game really end after the original game ended so you can have Advent Children stuff.

The smallest seemingly minor detail can make or break that game for people, and that's fascinating. What if they remove the materia system? What if they try to modernize the combat and change it from turn based to kingdom hearts style action. What if Aerith can come back?

It's very interesting. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I bet it pisses me off and makes a mockery of the original, but I'll be glad it exists.

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played FFVII at launch, way back when. I've since forgotten large chunks of the game and I'm looking forward to remembering it as I go along in the remake.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

I would agree if not for the fact that after 9, all of them have been shit (personal opinion). So I'm totally okay with them investing into a FF7 remake.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@cmblasko: Well, the FF7 tech demo for PS3 was in 2006.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to know your opinion on the hard swing from the "fuck you" FF7 of last year to the "give us your firstborn" FF7 of this year. I have dog in the game; I think it's funny that they suckered everyone and made a quick buck off that shitty port. Hell, it's probably funding the real FF7.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about this guys! With all the resources going into this that means SE won't be able to follow through with plans for FFXV-2 Boyband Clothes Edition.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Itwastuesday

i'm also a jerk, also want this game. there's a lot of hyperbole about FF7 around on the internet because of its place in history, but it's just a good JRPG with some memorable moments. that's all it was! that's all it was trying to be! it isn't the best game ever made, it isn't the worst game ever made, it didn't save or kill video games or ruin my childhood

i'm most interested in seeing which aspects they modernize or change.

@edgecrusher said:

my dad brought it home the day it came out!

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully: Except there hasn't been a proper "remake" of a game that I can think of since the original REmake on Gamecube. Higher resolution ports aren't really remakes and aren't usually changing things. There's a big difference between REmake/this FF7 remake and your various HD remaster collections.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.