Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Final Fantasy VII is coming to PSN, says ESRB

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ
    http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp
    To tell the truth, i'm not all that excited. I want to see the overworld, environments, and character models (not the battle mode models, but the overworld models) all redone. But of course i'm in the minority. I'm sure this will be part of Sonys conference on Tuesday
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Until they remake the damn thing I don't care.  I still have that old PS1 copy.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I guess this is great... except for the part where Final Fantasy VII is almost unplayable by today's standards.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By toowalrus
    ArbitraryWater said:
    I guess this is great... except for the part where Final Fantasy VII is almost unplayable by today's standards. [more]
    Absolutely, that game has aged horribly. I really want to see what all the fuss is about. I played the first hour last year, and it was garbage. I'm sure the story must be great later on, because the gameplay and graphics are horrible.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Jayge_

Yeergh. I never played the original, and it's likely that this will cost way too much compared to other PSN classics, but if it's a 7 or 8 dollar pick-up I might throw some money down for the hell of it.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    ArbitraryWater said:
    I guess this is great... except for the part where Final Fantasy VII is almost unplayable by today's standards. [more]
    The gameplay itself pretty much stands up, but the environments are almost unplayable, and its not just about the "quality" or look of them. Running around in that game is incredibly awkward. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Eh, whatever.  Game sucked anyways.  Bring FFIX over!!!  That's where it's at!

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    ArbitraryWater said:
    I totally agree. I bought the game for $35 used a while ago. I could not play it.
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By ZombiePie

Nope, I'll pass. I played the game to completion back in the nineties, shit I'm getting old, and saw everything I could see and experienced everything I could experience in the game and I enjoyed every minute of it, but I've moved on. There's nothing in the game that would wow me the same way the game wowed me when I first played it, and I gain nothing in my view from playing this game one more time.

Though if someone could explain to me what the hell the ending for that game was all about I would really appreciate that...

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

It's probably just the PS1 game.

Bruuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bruuin

I didn't own a PS1 when it was out, so I might check this out to see what all the fuss is about.  As long as it isn't a complete ripoff.  What made this game so great back in the day?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    Bruuin said:
    I didn't own a PS1 when it was out, so I might check this out to see what all the ... [more]
    It was the first RPG for a lot of people, and you know how people feel about their first : )
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruuin said:
    I didn't own a PS1 when it was out, so I might check this out to see what all the ... [more]
    The story will be what keeps you with it if you try it out.  The graphics and epic-ness of everything were amazing back when the game came out.  The gameplay was solid too.  It's dated now but the story is still outstanding.
    sgt_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By sgt_waffles

The only fuss about the game is how great it was around it's release.  And it was a great game.  If you can stand playing PS1 era games (i.e. - if you're someone who isn't a real game-snob), then I'd definitely say it's worth a play.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

My first RPG was... well, Super Mario RPG. Are my loving feelings toward that game pure nostalgia, or is that game still ACTUALLY awesome today?

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By the8bitNacho

Hey look, another "Bash FFVII" thread!!  Aren't there already a few of these?

Bruuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bruuin

Awesome.  I planned on playing it on the PSP which might help to ease the aging of the games visuals.  If the story is worth it and the gameplay holds up moderately well, then I'll play through it for sure.  No "game snob" here.  Thanks for the replies. :)

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Randolph
    Kombat said:
    I hate FF7, Halo, and GTA.  I am edgy and different, and you all want to be my friend now.  CONFORM TO MY NON-CONFORMIST WAYS!!!
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Discorsi

Rofl unplayable.  It is nowhere near unplayable..................................

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
    Kombat said:
    Hey now, I was just reporting on the facts, and then stated that i probably wouldnt get it, and then listed reasons. I'm not out to just bash the game. There just werent that many people that enjoyed it that commented on this topic
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#21  Edited By the8bitNacho
    AgentJ said:
    Kombat said: Hey look, another "Bash FFVII" thread!!  Aren't there already a few of these? Hey now, I was just ... [more]
    I didn't mean that it started as one.  It's just what it rapidly devolved into.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PureRok
    jakob187 said:
    Eh, whatever. Game sucked anyways. Bring FFIX over!!! That's where it's at!

Randolph: You ever thought that maybe, just maybe, that someone may actually think the game sucked because it sucked and not to be "edgy and different"? Sounds to me like you are being hypocritical by mocking them and saying "conform to my non-conformity", which basically is a sarcastic way of condemning them for not following your standards, the same thing you're mocking..
    cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cc23574

Well, the game has aged horribly so  just release the remake. We all know SE will at some point.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kush

This is the biggest surprise ever!!!!...but not really. What surprises me is that they took this long to finally bring it out for PSN.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By webby

People keep complaining saying they want a remake and if they do it's probably gonna be the same people who are saying it sucks. I love FF7 but there have been more than enough spin-offs with Advent Children, Crisis Core, Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus, Last Order, the snowboarding game and 2 novels. 

The PSN release if good news though but I still have the original game for PS1. 
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lashe

Give me the Suikoden 1 & 2 that the Japanese PSN has or I'm not interested.  That announcement would make my E3.

FFVII related, I'd like so see a remake. I play through the original once every couple of years, and I reckon as games go it's still pretty good. Although I play it more as a portable game now on the PSP so perhaps I am blinded by the impression that that system has no other decent games haha.

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Ross

The optimistic part of me was thinking to itself "Sony's going to announce a FF7 remake at their press conference today!"  Then I remembered why I am a pessimist :)  Anyways I bought FF7 to play it for the first time six or seven months ago and I just couldn't get into it.  I'm sure it's a great game I just can't play it.

putz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By putz

This is my favorite game of all time.  But truth be told once they killed aerith I stopped playing and never went back.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By sloppyjoe
    @putz said:
    " This is my favorite game of all time.  But truth be told once they killed aerith I stopped playing and never went back. "
    Same here.  Not my fav. game of all time though.  Maybe top 10 RPG.
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Randolph
    @PureRok said:
    "
    jakob187 said:

Randolph: You ever thought that maybe, just maybe, that someone may actually think the game sucked because it sucked and not to be "edgy and different"? Sounds to me like you are being hypocritical by mocking them and saying "conform to my non-conformity", which basically is a sarcastic way of condemning them for not following your standards, the same thing you're mocking.. "
    Thinking it sucked is fine.  Ramming it down the internets throat on a daily basis to score cool points on a forum for bashing a mainstream game is pushing it.
    shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shrig32

I don't dare play it in sessions longer than an hour- I can't let that much nostalgia flood into me so quickly. It's not healthy.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CL60

All I see in this thread are graphic whores who think the game is unplayable because it doesn't live up to todays standards...it's a PS1 game for god sakes.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shrig32

I play it on a 1080p monitor, and it's still as amazing as it ever was o.O
    Generally, to people that find it hard to get into older games simply because of their graphics, try to at least appreciate them in the same way people did when they were brand new. Good graphics =/= good game; but even having said that Final Fantasy VII has jaw dropping graphics for it's time.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By MadBootsy
    @Randolph said:
    "
    @PureRok said:
    "
    jakob187 said:

Randolph: You ever thought that maybe, just maybe, that someone may actually think the game sucked because it sucked and not to be "edgy and different"? Sounds to me like you are being hypocritical by mocking them and saying "conform to my non-conformity", which basically is a sarcastic way of condemning them for not following your standards, the same thing you're mocking.. "
    "Thinking it sucked is fine.  Ramming it down the internets throat on a daily basis to score cool points on a forum for bashing a mainstream game is pushing it. "
    Well BAM... there it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.