Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jul 19, 2001

The first Final Fantasy game for the PlayStation 2 brought cinematic quality to the series with voice acting and fully 3D environments. The story follows Tidus, a young man transported one thousand years into the future to find a world quite unlike his own.

This HD rerelease might be more than a simple port

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

A lot of confusion surrounded the announcement of the "HD remake" of Final Fantasy X back at TGS, mainly because of Kitase using the word "remake". I dismissed this as a simple semantic error on his part, as I did not believe that Square Enix would actually remake the game, for a multitude of reasons. However, he's at it again in an interview with a german magazine in which he says that he "would like the remake to have the same quality as the original". Source

I still don't think that we will get a true remake à la REmake or Twin Snakes, but I wouldn't be surprised if the HD rerelease bears similarities to the treatment Ocarina of Time got for its 3DS incarnation. Not a full-blown remake, but definitely more than a simple HD port. Retouching the textures a little bit, character models and lighting, etc. Thoughts?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

Last I heard was that they were actually remaking the game in the FF13 engine. That was probably just a rumor though.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I honestly don't know what to think. I feel like your standard affair HD remake of FFX would sell fine and they don't need to do considering the resources it would take anyway. However, it's fucking Square Enix. Nothing they do at this point would surprise me. I could see them remaking this game before Versus 13 ever sees the light of day.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NTM

If they had remade this game with the FFXIII engine, that'd be amazing.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AuthenticM

@CL60 said:

Last I heard was that they were actually remaking the game in the FF13 engine. That was probably just a rumor though.

Yeah, I got this rumor also. But I am taking it with a grain of salt, as SE has said very little of the project. It's not the XIII engine though, but the new luminous engine which Versus XIII uses exclusively for its lighting. They have yet to announce a game running solely on it. The rumor also put forward the idea of online connectivity in some capacity and tweaks to the Blitzball sport. Source.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By OllyOxenFree

MY BODY IS READY!

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Simplexity

Are they redoing the Voice acting? Yuna's voice actor is the worst piece of voice acting I can recall ever subjecting myself to.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By soldierg654342

As much as I hate to say it, I would probably give a FFX remake a shot if they added enough to it. It's still the best turn-based combat system ever.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Vexxan

I never played FFX but if they remade it using FFXIII's engine I'm sure I'd buy it. 

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Hizang
    @CL60

That right there sounds like the best Final Fantasy game.
    ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ze_ro

@OllyOxenFree said:

MY BODY IS READY!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

I want a freaking date, ;(. I'm replaying the damn game this very moment and I still really, really want to play it again with updated graphics. They don't even have to change anything else! Shit, I think I would find it really awkward if they fixed the crappy voices.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mutha3

@Prodstep said:

Are they redoing the Voice acting? Yuna's voice actor is the worst piece of voice acting I can recall ever subjecting myself to.

I guess. One might argue that the terrible VA is one of the game's charms. Remember when Silent Hill 2 was getting competent VA for its remake? The internet exploded.

@SoldierG654342 said:

As much as I hate to say it, I would probably give a FFX remake a shot if they added enough to it. It's still the best turn-based combat system ever.

Y...Y-you think? Without even leaving the FF franchise: I'd say FFX-2 offers much more satisfying turn-based combat.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Aus_azn

Wait, what?

When was this announced? How did I miss it?!

I'm pumped for this now!

EDIT: Wait, please tell me this is for the PS3 and not the Vita....

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By N7
    @Aus_azn: I think both.

At least I hope so. But I do know it was announced for the Vita.

In fact, I'm positive it's also coming to the PS3.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Animasta

FFX is so terrible god

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dixavd

I hope that they do a fantastic remake but I also fear they may completely ruin the experience, and if they screw this up I will never forgive them. This is my most aniticipated release, but it could also be the biggest dissappointment. Honestly I think the best thing they could do between both completely redoing and just upresing; is making the in-game cutscenes match the FMV ones. Everything else I am torn with, as I am unsure if I want them to redo the voiceacting (I guess I would be ok if they kept the same actors, but some of the scenes are so iconic to me changing the voice acting would ruin it - Tidus at the start for instance) and I want to see them remake the music orchestrated but some of them are perfect without them (for me Besaid Island is my favourite song and would hate for them to change it). I liked the Ocarina of Time remake to go back to what the original creators wanted but I feel Ico and Shadow of the Colossus: the Collection adding what was needed to make the game work better gameplay wise and adding things for fans to the package was a more agreeable way of doing it. I am unsure?...

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EchoEcho

@NTM said:

If they had remade this game with the FFXIII engine, that'd be amazing.

If they remade this game with the FFXIII engine, it'd also be the biggest troll of all time, considering how long and how loudly their fans have been clamoring for an FFVII remake. But as someone who didn't like FFVII all that much, it's fine by me.

But what I wouldn't give to have an FFIX remake in the FFXIII engine...

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By beforet

When we say the FFXIII engine, we just mean the graphics engine, right? Not the battle system. I like the way XIII does ATB, but X is still one of my favorite systems and I would be super bummed if they replaced it.

That aside, I would be impressed if they went beyond the call of cash and actually put some effort into their HD rerelease. (I'm not bad mouthing the other HD collections. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus look beautiful. I'm just saying that it's easy to just force the game to output at 720p, something any PC kid with an emulator can do, and call it a day.)

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By ch3burashka

Too expensive; it's just an upscale port, like every other goddamn game. Thanks for the games, developers, but it sure is disappointing, after expecting an entirely new game made for this era (although that was too optimistic).

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kashif1

@Prodstep said:

For what its worth Yuna's VA has gotten much better since then

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

Maybe make the game script not suck, and get voice actors that can act. You wouldn't have to touch anything else and I'd be satisfied with that. Hell, I'd even buy it!

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By time allen

as long as they don't fuck around with the game itself then i'm cool with. i don't trust square enix enough to remake a squaresoft game.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By soldierg654342

@mutha3 said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

Y...Y-you think? Without even leaving the FF franchise: I'd say FFX-2 offers much more satisfying turn-based combat.

I'm not really talking in terms of tactical depth or complexity. FFX's combat felt the best of any turn based game I've played. The action was fast and snappy. Spell effects were suitably flash but came and went quickly. It had great forward momentum that kept me playing and made the longer fights more bearable and being able to tag in your other party members on the fly was a real nice touch.

Maybe "best" isn't the right term, but it is personally the most enjoyable turn-based combat system I've played.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NegativeCero

@OllyOxenFree said:

MY BODY IS READY!

This was one of the worst parts of the game.

I loved X, but I don't feel like I ever need to replay it.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By RVonE

Man, I don't know if I can put all that time in that game again. I kinda want to, though.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Tofin

Even though I hate the design of everything, the plot, and the characters, I might still give this a shot because the turn based combat was really fun and engaging and better graphics would be pretty nice.

also fix that laughing scene goddamn

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By djstyles92

Best FF game BY FAR. I am so going to get this when it comes out again.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dixavd

@Beforet said:

That aside, I would be impressed if they went beyond the call of cash and actually put some effort into their HD rerelease. (I'm not bad mouthing the other HD collections. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus look beautiful. I'm just saying that it's easy to just force the game to output at 720p, something any PC kid with an emulator can do, and call it a day.)

The people behind Ico and Shadow of the Colossus: the Collection made an interesting interview with Edge which gives a good insite into HD remakes, and how underappreciated they are. Here it is. It is definitely worth reading.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By killacam

if no one else will say it then i will: why X and why not VII?!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mutha3

@SoldierG654342: Gotcha. I'd agree that FFX has a nice, snappy feel to it. Its up there with Persona 4 as one of the fastest-moving RPG battle system. I do really like how all of your party members remain valuable throughout the entire game.

I abhor all of the customization in that game, though. Especially the sphere grid.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Simplexity

@kashif1: Well she couldn't really get any worse, it was like they just picked some random drama school reject and had her read the script in one take with no practice or anything and called it a day, shocking stuff really.

Though I guess at the time it wasn't a big deal as voice acting was a relatively new thing for video games, but even still I could as a 12 year old with English as my second language tell that she was dreadful.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By korolev

They're not going to do a full remake. How many games are SE already juggling? They're not in a good shape financially, and they are already making those other "NOVO CRYSTALIS" whatchamacalit games. that were announced years ago and still haven't been released.

Also, do you know how expensive a FFX full conversion would be? If they were going to announce that, they'd announce it publically since their investors would NOT like them to start a project of such monumental expense without consultation. They'd have to remake everything! New textures, new models, new animations, new everything. There isn't a program where they plonk down the old FFX creature models and they press a button and viola! Shiny new model!

Adding a few additional features? That's entirely possible. Full on remake? Way, way, way too expensive. Especially in the FFXIII engine. If they ever did announce such a thing, they would have officially lost their mind.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By soldierg654342

@mutha3 said:

I abhor all of the customization in that game, though. Especially the sphere grid.

I must be the only person that actually liked the sphere grid, and I really liked the "crafting" system for equipment. The Aeons could go fuck right off though.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Clinkz

@Animasta said:

FFX is so terrible god

If by terrible, you mean it has the best story, music, combat system, and characters (apart from Tidus) of any final fantasy game, you are correct.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By dtat

Nostalgia will force me to play this. I hope it's good for my sake!

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MOAB

@Clinkz said:

@Animasta said:

FFX is so terrible god

If by terrible, you mean it has the best story, music, combat system, and characters (apart from Tidus) of any final fantasy game, you are correct.

lol?

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By Levio

I wonder if they're going to bring back that "murder this family of innocent cactuar" quest.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By devilzrule27

As long as they don't mess with Blitzball! I played blitzball for hours, loved that shit.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dixavd

@SoldierG654342 said:

@mutha3 said:

I must be the only person that actually liked the sphere grid, and I really liked the "crafting" system for equipment. The Aeons could go fuck right off though.

I think the customisation is the best part of the game and I loved the sphere grid (I personally think it is the best levelling system ever created and I can name many reasons why). Also I liked the Aeons especially since as a game mechanic the idea that they continue to level with Yuna rewarded the player for experimenting with the characters and trying them in different roles. Plus the Aeons allowed for a quick way of fighting some of the extremely high level enemies without having to complete the sphere grid first. That said I am in europe so I had the PAL version with the better choice for the Sphere for early customization* and the really amazing Dark Aeons that made mastering it rewarding.

*(even though the original map for it was better for actually giving personalities to each characters growth and adding an amazing touch of mixing the story with the gameplay)

Also the fact that each different customization was completely optional (As following the straight sphere grid path, only using equipment drops or buying new ones, and completely ignoring Aeon progression didn't leave you at any true disadvantage) allowing each different playthrough to be necassarily different as well as returning to an old save and having something new to do.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dixavd

@devilzrule27 said:

As long as they don't mess with Blitzball! I played blitzball for hours, loved that shit.

Did ever get really good with it or go and get a great team. I kind of always wanted to and each time I went back thinking "this time I'll do it" but never had the patience - even though I loved playing it and would spend entire weeks only playing blitzball - and just went back to a save with early levels to play those again.

Though I liked looking up the metagame - I still find it hilariously amazing that Keepa becomes one of the best strikers when he reaches level 90 or so.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By devilzrule27

@Dixavd said:

@devilzrule27 said:

Did ever get really good with it or go and get a great team. I kind of always wanted to and each time I went back thinking "this time I'll do it" but never had the patience - even though I loved playing it and would spend entire weeks only playing blitzball - and just went back to a save with early levels to play those again.

Though I liked looking up the metagame - I still find it hilariously amazing that Keepa becomes one of the best strikers when he reaches level 90 or so.

I went through and recruited the best players and leveled everyone up. I only started playing it because I wanted Wakka's overdrive, then I got hooked and went deeper into blitzball then I ever thought I would.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Karl_Boss

Please come to 360.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vidiot

Everyone take a few seconds and back away. 
    It's Kitase, more importantly, it's Square talking without showing anything. If the last five years has taught us anything, make sure we wait until we see something official or palpable. Interviews, specifically one that has now been translated from Japanese, to German, to English, might be not 100% stable.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Hailinel

@vidiot said:

Everyone take a few seconds and back away.
    It's Kitase, more importantly, it's Square talking without showing anything. If the last five years has taught us anything, make sure we wait until we see something official or palpable. Interviews, specifically one that has now been translated from Japanese, to German, to English, might be not 100% stable.

I personally only trust interviews that have been translated across no less than four different languages.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.