Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 11, 2017

The Zodiac Age is a remake of 2006's Final Fantasy XII that includes a job system that was previously only available in the Japan-only "International" edition. The remake also includes various other additions and enhancements.

Thread for people who are excited about FFXII in HD.

• 57 results
    DLeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Decided to go with the following:

Van- Bushi/Knight

Balthier- Shikari/Foebreaker

Fran- Archer/Red Battlemage

Penelo- Monk/Black mage

This leaves Ashe and Basch.

Ended up giving Basch Uhlan only to find out that it's a class best paired with Archer. Are there any significant downsides to having him go Uhlan/Archer with Fran already being Archer/Red mage? Also any advice for what to do with Ashe? I'm probably putting too much thought into all of this but I'm seriously considering restarting to get things right.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read this thread just after I finished Raithwall's tomb. Man my jobs are wayyy out there in comparison. Oh well, should be interesting at least!

Also, 16 year old me really liked the game when it came out but I honestly did not expect to be having so much fun with it. I'm very happy I bought this. Penelo is still annoying but not as much as I made her out to be in my head.

Hopefully I'm still as infatuated with it at the end of the game.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By GundamGuru

Since we're using this thread to post party combos, I bought the guidebook (love having those treasure maps), and this is what they recommend:

CharacterJob 1Job 2
    VaanUhlanBlack Mage
    PeneloMonkFoebreaker
    BaschBushiTime Battlemage
    BalthierWhite MageArcher
    FranRed BattlemageShikari
    AsheKnightMachinist

I went with it because I mistakenly thought the boards overlaid and that there was this whole geometry optimization issue to consider. In reality it's two separate boards, and the detached tiles can really only be connected with Espers, so it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By MezZa

@dleo: No real downsides to doubling up on archer. Just bear in mind that characters of the same class share the same board. So if Basch unlocks a quickening on that board it won't be available to Fran anymore. Make sure you split the espers and quickening between them in an effective way.

You need a white mage still, so Ashe is going to have to be it. Good news is her magic stat is great, so she fits any mage role well. You can either pair her White Mage with Time Mage or Machinist based on what you have. Both are fairly weak individual classes compared to the other classes in the game, so it's not so bad losing one in your overall party. What you choose will depend on what you want. Machinist will make your white mage a stronger combatant and time mage will make it the most effective support combo.

Machinists guns don't scale on stats which sucks for Ashe because she has nice stats, but since white mage doesn't get battle lore it actually works out to make up for the white mages weak combat presence. Machinist White Mage combo also allows for the character to wear dark robes that boost dark damaged by 50% and rock a dark gun for very heavy hits that never miss. However, since it's a white mage it's important to keep in mind they won't be shooting that often anyway.

Time Mage is just a good supporting role with access to a variety of spells other characters don't have. Slapping this on a character who is already spending 90% of their time in q support role works out well. And they can still use crossbows, so they give white mage a decent option between spells.

Honestly if I were you I'd do Uhlan/Time Mage and WhiteMage/Machinist. Don't bother pairing Uhlan with Archer if you're already using archer. RedMage Archer is a stronger combo, so most people I've seen aren't running their archer on Uhlan unless they're doing Blackmage/Redmage anyway. If you want to double up on archer, I'd do WhiteMage/TimeMage on Ashe and Uhlan/Archer on Basch.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Axersia

Interesting how the main topic of discussion for this game has been the class system and how to best optimize it, when the 4x speed option renders it completely moot. It doesn't matter what setup you have -- you will inevitably end up overleveled and will Half-Minute Hero anything that crosses your path.

I don't think the original game was ever balanced for you to clear out every single map because of the absurd amount of time that'd take, but in Zodiac Age, it's a requirement as you'll miss out on tons of techs and spells otherwise.

It's pretty amusing going into a new boss at 4x speed and having to figure out why it's not dying. The last boss I fought absorbed all elements, so I had to unequip my elemental weapons before it died 3 secs later. During the entire fight it was impossible for me to die. Sure, there's always a slight chance a single status effect will screw up everything, but if you make sure to spread Stop, Disable, and Confuse immunities among your characters, the chances of that happening are practically zero.

It's especially satisfying once you have your Gambits set up in such a way you can actually have a character sitting at <10% HP using Souleater, while equipped with the Bubble Belt for double HP, and using Balance to inflict >9000 damage. Not to mention I constantly have Reflectga up as my healer has an Opal Ring and can penetrate Reflect, while Balance and Black Magic can still be reflected off the party onto the enemy. That's potentially 40k damage with Balance when you have a guest in your party.

Seriously, I don't think any other RPG has ever made me feel this powerful before. Good stuff.

But for what it's worth, here's my setup:

Fran
    Uhlan/Time Mage

Ashe
    Bushi/Black Mage

Penelo (wish I'd picked Balthier, but oh well)
    Monk/Red Mage

Basically, I picked the weapons/melee classes I liked the most, and added magic to them. I thought the White Mage would be overkill as a Monk/Red Mage already gets access to nearly all White Magic, while also having access Black, Time, and high-level Arcane Magic.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong as long as you have a good healer in your party, but if you just have Foe 100% HP > Steal set up, you'll be swimming in cash and will have 99x of every single restorative/remedy anyway. Even if you played the game with 3 Shikari and no subclasses, you'd be just fine.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Dixavd

Enjoyed reading your builds. After unlocking the second License Board and thinking hard on it, here's my final team. I even named my builds: Spoiler blocks only for Esper unlocks and one weapon name.

While I took note of the suitability of stats and job-pairing versatility, I stuck strongly to thematic ties in characterisation. While I tried to use as many Jobs as possible, I wanted to make both Basch and Ashe knights so I dropped Machinist to compensate; I don't particularly enjoy guns in this game and it doesn't seem particularly interesting or useful - outside of the Esper-unlock for high-tier Time Magick.

VaanShakiriWhite MageCaring ThiefEasiest to pick. Vaan must use daggers because fighting sewer rats was so iconic. Plus, I wanted him to follow in Reks' footsteps as a Support Healer.
    BalthierFoebreakerUhlanSky PirateBalthier exploits every weakness on and off the battlefield so Foebreaker was obvious (plus it's arguably the best Job). Uhlan was a case of maximising his fighting potential without doubling up. Although I do imagine him jumping from his ship and striking to the ground with his spear. Regardless, what's the point of making the Zodiac Spear easier to get if I don't pick a Job that can use it?
    FranTime BattlemageBushiTime SamuraiA build similar to how I level up Auron from FFX (whom I always taught Tidus' Haste spells early). Fran's stats are slightly sub-par for this, but her spread means she can do well with katanas. I also like the idea that she can sense the Mist, the ether within the world, and literally control time.
    BaschKnightArcherResolute SoldierA strong warrior with a mastery in traditional front-line combat. Basch's skills are a means to end.
    AsheKnightRed BattlemageKnight of JusticeThe most important choice for me since Ashe is my favourite character. With Espers, Red Battlemage can learn end-game Black Magick, and Knight can learn White Magick, so she can be a physical tank and a magical powerhouse. She needed a pairing that put her centre stage while showing off her mystical nobility.
    PaneloBlack MageMonkBundle of EnergyPanelo obviously needed to be the Black Mage, and Monk can give her a little White Magick while also improving her evasion to suit her bouncy personality.
    odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By odinsmana

I spent way too long deciding on the job pairings, but I actually found it to be pretty fun trying to find a way to use all the jobs and also make good pairings. I ended up going the route of making each character more versatile rather than specialized.

CharacterJob 1Job 2Reasoning
    VaanShikariTime BattlemageI didn`t want any pure mage characters, so I had to spread the magic classes around a bit. Vaan was a good candidate since he has both really good str. and mag. stats. I chose Shiakri because I wanted to give him a solid simple meele class and daggers fit the character and TBM because it was a job I didn`t really have any plans for, but seemed like it could work decently together with Shikari.
    AsheBlack mageMonkAshe is a strong magic user, so I was considering her for both Black mage and White mage. She also has decent physical stats though and I felt a meele class is better paired with a Black mage than a White mage, so I ended up making her a Black mage. I felt that as a character an offensive role fits her better than a support one either way. I was considering Knight as her second since that`s what I picture her as, but I decided to go with a more damaged focused class rather than a tanky one and just make her a pure damage dealer, so I went with the monk. The monk job also allows her to have attack options when she is out of/needs to conserve MP.
    PeneloWhite mageMachinistPenelo is another strong magic user and I feel like she fits a support role, so I made her my White Mage. I thought the machinist was a good pairing for the White Mage since it allows my healer to stay out of danger and gives her non magic attack options that are not based on strength fro when she is out fo MP or no one needs healing.
    BaschBushiUhlanI went with a pure meele DPS/Tank for Bashch. I frontline fighter that can both take and dish out damage.
    FranArcherRed BattlemageFran is a charachter I didn`t really know what to do with and I ended up giving her two jobs I didn`t really know what to do with. From some stuff I read it seems like she is a good archer and also fits the character. RBM was also a job I didn`t know what to do with, so I ended up giving it to Fran. She ended up being a kind of versatile support character, but I haven`t used her much and don`t know if I will which is a shame.
    BalthierKnightFoebreakerWith Balthier I went with a meele fighter with some support options in the form of healing with the knight and the debuffs/breaking abilities with the foebreaker.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.