Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XII

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2006

The last Final Fantasy game released on the PS2, Final Fantasy XII is distinguished by its condition-driven "gambit" battle system, its Monster Hunter-like open environments and side quests, and its setting in the existing fictional universe of Ivalice.

Final Fantasy XII Remaster announced with surprise trailer

• 86 results
    newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

This seems like the remaster that everyone wanted that never seemed like was going to happen?

Square just released a trailer announcing the remaster (in Japanese, so maybe we'll see something at E3 this weekend)

It looks really good! This is one of the more revered Final Fantasy's I never played, so I'm glad to see this get a remaster

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I believe I bought it when it came out and barely played it for some reason, maybe it was because it sorta felt like an MMO with the errand quests. I'll give it another shot next year.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Really hope this turns out well. I absolutely adored XII when I first played it a few years ago and have been dying to go back. Getting to see all the IZJS stuff (which I assume will be in here, given the name) will be fantastic. Now I just have to pray it comes to Steam...

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was hoping they'd get around to remastering this one. It has its problems, but I'll always have a soft spot for it since it was the first FF game I played. Plus, Balthier.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the FF re-release I wanted more than any other so I'm glad to see it's finally happening. I liked it a ton when it first came out. Will be interesting to see how it holds up, and if I can get anything different out of the story this time around.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat. Not so neat is the presence of only a PS4 logo at the end. I'll just probably have to wait it out.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colour me interested. 12 is probably my favorite FF game besides 14.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Seikenfreak

I'll definitely pick it up.

Awesome gameplay, world, and music. Lame story. Couple bad ass characters. Couple really bad characters.

This will also be the Zodiac version which we didn't get in the US. Has some form of a job system.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited this is coming out! Not surprised but disappointed its not coming out on the Vita.

richied0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Surprised people are that excited, never got the impression this one went down particularly well. Thought the battle system was novel at the time.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

/GirlyScream It's like surprise Christmas Morning! Ahh I didn't think they'd actually do this let alone do announce it so soon considering all the other stuff they have going on! Oooooh I hope we don't have to wait long! Wowowowowowow

Feel like they could have done a bit better with the trailer though.

mike28212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was just thinking about this game yesterday afternoon. Never finished it and excited for the remake,

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and now this, I'm maybe a little closer to consider getting a PS4 sometime. This was the last great Final Fantasy before Squeenix flushed the series down the crapper with Turdning. At least the game play and huge open world were cool. I honestly don't even remember what the story was about.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By donchipotle

Now if only they could take Vaan out of the game

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

If it's a remaster of the ZJS version I'm definitely interested. I had a lot more fun with the levelling system that way.

Dunno if it's still being worked on but there was a neat fan-made patch for owners of both games which gave you ZJS mechanics with English text.

@sinusoidal - The story was basically Star Wars. ;)

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FF12 is a game I really disliked at the time but really grew to appreciate after revisiting it a while later, so I'm excited to see how this turns out.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not sure I really need to revisit this game (deeply flawed but still an okay game) but I always wanted to try out the Zodiac system.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Fucking fuck everything.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be nice to have this on other platforms but this is the Japanese trailer. Wouldn't be surprised if it launched on everything internationally

Sinreaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sinreaver

I'll call your Vaan and raise you a Penelo

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle said:

Both of them, really.

Sinreaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinreaver said:
    @donchipotle said:

Both of them, really.

Agreed, so how do we get this done?

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Crommi

I can't really figure out why they would do FF12, it wasn't that amazing and always felt like a side-project for SE. Remember, that came out when every publisher was trying to get onto the MMO bandwagon. Maybe it was popular in Japan, dunno. What surprised me was the striking similiarity to FF14 (MMO), even that music they start with is one of the signature tracks in FF14 and artstyle is pretty much identical. You could literally take characters from FF14 and put them into FF12 setting (or vice versa) and no one would notice the difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is based on the much improved re-release version "international zodiac job system" that never got released in the west

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crommi said:

I can't really figure out why they would do FF12, it wasn't that amazing and always felt like a side-project for SE. Remember, that came out when every publisher was trying to get onto the MMO bandwagon. Maybe it was popular in Japan, dunno. What surprised me was the striking similiarity to FF14 (MMO), even that music they start with is one of the signature tracks in FF14 and artstyle is pretty much identical. You could literally take characters from FF14 and put them into FF12 setting (or vice versa) and no one would notice the difference.

The music they start with is Prelude which has been in literally every main Final Fantasy game since the first. And yeah, it's the same artist as FFXIV (and Tactics) because it's "Ivalice" stuff.

I'm way excited to play the International version. I'm a sucker for Job Systems and always liked XII's battle system and it basically being an MMO without having to deal with the grind/other people that usually come along with that. It also did party AI better than any game before or since.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's existence was actually leaked almost a year ago by the conductor of the FF symphony. Figured that it would show up eventually.

zorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: no way, the rest of the cast dunking on the two for being totally extraneous and unnecessary to the plot is hilarious. The fact that they devote scenes in the middle of the exposition to go "Vaan, why are you here again?" "NOTHIN' BETTER TO DO, IM A CRIM NOW" is a great bit of the game dunking on itself when Balthier et. al are the actual protagonists.

I'm really excited for this; I first played this last year and really enjoyed it. Supposedly the International version makes the extra bonus bosses less obnoxious, which is a good thing; it taking three whole hours to beat Yiazmat was uuuugh.

I forget, does the international version this is based on have the new job-system as a mandatory thing or is it an option when you start the game? The International version does seem overall a much better variant, unlike FFX which just inserted super-bosses stronger than the final boss in the way of any attempt to backtrack and pick up items you may have missed.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. The combat system wasn't my favorite thing but I loved the setting and (most of) the characters so it was easy for me to look past that.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#30  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

As much as I liked the combat and leveling in XII, remastering it can't fix the straight up boring story and characters. Still a fundamentally good game, though.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By blackichigo

That sounds cool but FF12 was never my favorite Final Fantasy. The gambit system made it so the you hardly actually "played" the game. You mostly just pushed the left stick in the direction of the enemy and waited until your characters kill it.

Do hope they fix the characters voices so that they don't sound like they're talking through tin cans.

P.S. Vaan and Penelo suck.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Oh man, HD Ivalice you guys! Here's hoping for a Vita release.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epidehl: Oh wow, you're absolutely right. For some reason I just don't associate it with other FF-titles as much, maybe because it's not often the main theme where as in FF14 it plays in many significant story moments. It's not like when I think of FFX (or FFX-2), I instantly get "Real emotion" looping in my head, or "Eyes on me" for FFVIII. FFXIII is just violins...non-stop.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great game, not sure if I can play it for another 170 hours but I'll give it a shot. Also very flexible/interesting game in terms of the ways you can approach it.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've been eagerly waiting for this announcement. Final Fantasy XII is easily one of my favourites next to IX.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When this came out I had just bought a 360, and I only put like 2-3 hours into it. Never went back. Then sold my PS2 stuff. So I'll buy this day one. Its the only non MMO FF game I've never played. Actually thats a lie. I never played the two sequels in the 13 line because I hated 13.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

My memory of this game was a fairly disappointing story coupled with perhaps the most addictive combat of the entire series. And I didn't even use the Gambit system aside from some auto-heal stuff.

When I picture this game oddly I always think of that big oil rig-like structure in the desert.

I loved X and X-2 but I played the hell out of those when they were new unlike XII which I only played the once. Since there's new stuff here I think there's a good chance the nostalgic in me will pounce on this

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played this more than a few hours so this has me very excited!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

omg I'm like so totally excited for this. Like I know it's not as good as X-2 or even X or even VII, but I'm still like totes sooooo happy right now.

Me too, man. Me too.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty stoked for this. I've played it before, but 12 is the one of the few that I don't currently own in any playable capacity.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I remember enjoying the Zodiac Job System version a lot more than the original, so maybe I'll have to check this out.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played this one, really excited for this.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

This game bored the pants off me when I played it back upon its original release. Might have to give it another chance. But felt like a real forgettable FF game.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Surprised not for PC, or any other system, guessing Steam will come out like 6 months after.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

YES! About. Damn. Time. I'm so excited. This is the one that needed it: FFXII actually has some great textures, but the PS2's performance made them look muddy. Yes. Yes. Yes. Guess I'm getting a PS4 in the next year then. My E3 is made before it's even started. This is amazing!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@redyoshi said:

Awesome. The combat system wasn't my favorite thing but I loved the setting and (most of) the characters so it was easy for me to look past that.

As much as I liked the combat and leveling in XII, remastering it can't fix the straight up boring story and characters. Still a fundamentally good game, though.

I love the fact that these two comments are next to each other!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Onemanarmyy

While I loved the more political story and the enemy designs, Vaan and Panelo are the worst. The combat is neat. But the MMO world felt soulless. I might grab it at a sale because I never finished it.

@atwa yeah this will probably follow the same trajectory as FFX did. Ps4 first, steam afterwards.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Finally. FF XII is a really neat game though it takes some getting used to since it is a very unique entry in the series in terms of gameplay and story structure.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XII was one of the few FF games that I wanted to give another shot. I didn't quite get into it at the time but thinking back on it I remember enjoying the gameplay a decent amount.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If they include a feature where I can skip the first few hours wherein only Vaan and Penelo are present then I'll consider playing this.

But seriously I feel like I definitely had some amazing moments with this game but just can't really remember anything in particular and what rises to the surface of my memory is just how horrible Vaan is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.