Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XII

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2006

The last Final Fantasy game released on the PS2, Final Fantasy XII is distinguished by its condition-driven "gambit" battle system, its Monster Hunter-like open environments and side quests, and its setting in the existing fictional universe of Ivalice.

Final Fantasy XII Remaster announced with surprise trailer

• 86 results
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I was just thinking about this game yesterday afternoon. Never finished it and excited for the remake,

I was holding my copy of FFXII just 24 hours ago...

Fucking fuck everything.

You only have yourself to blame for this.

And some more info on the PS Blog:

• Remastered 7.1 soundtrack, original OST still available.
    • Predictably, this is the International Zodiac Job System version. I sort of wished they kept that ridiculously long subtitle.
    TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@dixavd said:

@redyoshi said:

Awesome. The combat system wasn't my favorite thing but I loved the setting and (most of) the characters so it was easy for me to look past that.

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

As much as I liked the combat and leveling in XII, remastering it can't fix the straight up boring story and characters. Still a fundamentally good game, though.

I love the fact that these two comments are next to each other!

Ha, yeah it's still a divisive game I see.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Dammit, I hope this eventually comes out on PC with a good port. Otherwise I may have to finally get a PS4. Between this and Horizon: Zero Dawn which, if it turns out good, I really want to play. The positive thing is that I can get a PS4 Neo or whatever the new model will be called, and won't feel guilty about it because I never owned an original PS4.

@crommi: Well they were already on the MMO-bandwagon back in 2001 with FFXI. By 2006, when this game came out, FFXI was one of their most profitable games ever; and was at the peak of its' player-base. FFXII takes a lot of gameplay and world inspirations from FFXI, so its basically as single-player MMO.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loved this game. TV died in the middle of playing it back in 06-07, we got a new "720p" tv(snazzy!) and the game looked so bad on it I couldn't continue. I always wanted to try and emulate on the computer but haven't tried and this, this here is how I will finally play this game. Hopefully on pc.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By NTM

Yep, I wanted this, and I'm glad it's going to PS4. That said, I only got fifteen hours into the original, but enjoyed it. I thought it was superb. I only got a bit further than a part where Vaan kept explaining he was one of the other characters. I can't say how much I liked the story or characters, but I really enjoyed the active gameplay approach it took over the stationary one from the previous FF's, and the art with the world you inhabit was great to me. I liked the designs. The music was pretty good too.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always felt this game was held back by the hardware of the PS2. I wonder if this remaster will increase the draw distance on enemies, and eliminate the loads between areas. A seamless world would go a long way towards making this game feel more modern.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#57  Edited By liquiddragon

Love the game and this is cool news but now that they're done remastering non-HD into HD, I wonder how soon we'll start seeing the 4K remasters.

killer2m8o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO this was the absolute peak of FF gameplay. The story was fine and all, but gameplay wise, this is easily the best game in the series from the leveling system to the gambits you could use to program your characters, pure gold.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By NeoCalypso

@spoonman671 said:

I always felt this game was held back by the hardware of the PS2.

Also in terms of graphics, considering how good you can make this look on an emulator with just a resolution bump, some anti-aliasing, and some anisotropic filtering, I'd say that's a pretty reasonable claim. If they actually go the extra distance on this thing and upgrade some of the textures and models it could actually look pretty great.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: 99% certain this will be on PC as well. So far, it's following the same trajectory as FFX/X2 did and that came to Steam recently. If those two PS2 exclusives are able to be released on PC, so will this one.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would give anything to have this on my Vita.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@kasaioni said:

@crommi: Well they were already on the MMO-bandwagon back in 2001 with FFXI. By 2006, when this game came out, FFXI was one of their most profitable games ever; and was at the peak of its' player-base. FFXII takes a lot of gameplay and world inspirations from FFXI, so its basically as single-player MMO.

Well I'm not sure I'd call XI getting on the MMO bandwagon.. at least in what most people think of these days. I'd call it the last MMO before World of Warcraft which then was the bandwagon. I think of it as the great divide.. 11 coming out when it did meant it sort of "died" quickly because everyone jumped on WoW, except it ended up being a under-the-radar success and extremely profitable for SE because all the old-school MMO players probably preferred 11. And 11 is still kind of chugging along to this very day, albeit far from it's peak. Ah man 11 was so great back in the day.

And you reminded my of all the XI-XII stuff. It's really awesome and fascinating seeing how many details 12 took from 11. Like the Hunts / Notorious Monsters. Tons of monster designs and names etc.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Man o man o man o man, I hope this comes to PC! Wonderful news!

I played some of Xii on my fat PS3 and it looked fantastic upscaled. I can only imagine how a full on remaster could be.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: Well okay, my point was really to say that FFXII was more influenced by FFXI, than it was by the post-WoW MMO world.

And for the record, I know about FFXI; in fact, I'm playing it right now.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@zombiepie said:

Fucking fuck everything.

Oh, it's not so bad. I think FFXII is one of the best in the entire series. Plus, deep down, you know you like it.

I do hope they keep the option for the original License Grids instead of the International version though. Kind of like how they did the remaster of X. The way the license grids work, I don't want to have to choose a class before I can see what's actually on the grid.

GearSol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played 12, and was even thinking about getting a copy of it soon, but now I guess I'll just wait. I had been hoping they'd do an HD version (and had been searching Google every month or so to see if there was any news), so I'm happy with this.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh but... at around 0:50, it looks like they didn't fix Vaan's weird tire-track abs...

sergeantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Really would like a Vita version, or at least PC. I suppose I'll take what I can get.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@kasaioni: Ah gotcha. Didn't realize that is what you were saying. I mention the 11 + 12 stuff because a lot of people seem to dismiss 11 but maybe don't realize how "FF" it was or influential.. for 12 at least (and 14 obviously)

Nice to see you're still playing. I was messing around in it a couple months ago. Sort of bounce between that and 14 (new patch tomorrow)

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what the reception will be like in a post Game of Thrones world. It's a more apt comparison than Star Wars, which FF12 usually gets because of the ships. The game is seeping with the world building and politics of FFT, though.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

skip the first 50 seconds, it's all pre rendered garbage. The texture work in FF12 is really remarkable adding this style that's almost sculpture like. And it's better to go into a FF game that isn't trying to be modern pop culture instead more fantasy..... with poorly pronounced real world words because it's got a bizarre translation. There have been some amazing emulators showing off this game in 1080p, so yeah, I'd want to come back pay another 60 bucks on this game which I spent over 190 hours just to fight John DiMaggio in probably the reason to play this game for.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: FFXI is still fun now in my honest opinion. A lot of stuff in solo-able now, but you still need a good Linkshell if you want to have the best things.

Krighten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish they went for FF8 but it's all good. I'll give it a shot.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Farkas

I wonder how far they'll go with extra content, specifically optional bosses and quests.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

This is the one I have been waiting for. FFXII is a damned masterpiece. Flawed, but still very masterpiecey.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MrPlatitude

Really hope this gets a Steam release, I had gotten it at launch on PS2 but couldn't get into it at the time, I'd like to give it another try.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the one where you set up some rules for your characters and the game plays itself for you while you handle the analog sticks. Perhaps one of the most boring games I've ever played personally but I know it has fans.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zombiepie: you're safe for now... Until they announce a Steam version

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I thought that someone (maybe the composer or some designer) alluded to it in an interview at some point so was always hopeful of a remaster. Glad it finally got announced though I'd have preferred if they could have delayed it until E3.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still my favorite of the numbered series. This may be a good reason to replay it.

But seriously, why was Vaan the main character? Or a major character at all, for that matter? Balthier, Ashe or Basch would have been great lead characters; any one of them.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zorak: The writer (he also did tactics ogre and FFT, two games with amazing stories influenced by GoT) meant to have Balthier as the main character but suits were all "this is Japan gotta have teenagers dude."

Pretty much one of the best writers in games that was hamstrung by the higher ups.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relkin said:

Still my favorite of the numbered series. This may be a good reason to replay it.

But seriously, why was Vaan the main character? Or a major character at all, for that matter? Balthier, Ashe or Basch would have been great lead characters; any one of them.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I never took Vaan as being the main character. I always thought the world was the main character and Vaan was just the instrument used to navigate it. If I had to pick a main character it would be Ashe. She always felt more of a main character to me than Vaan did.

12 was pretty fucking great though. I can't recommend it enough.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@imhungry said:

If they include a feature where I can skip the first few hours wherein only Vaan and Penelo are present then I'll consider playing this.

But seriously I feel like I definitely had some amazing moments with this game but just can't really remember anything in particular and what rises to the surface of my memory is just how horrible Vaan is.

I tend to agree; the adventures of rat-killing in the city early on are painful and I would love to be able to skip them. Love the rest of the game, though.

Hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those rose tinted glasses will fall off during the first 4-5 hours of fetch quests and dying to rats and desert tomatoes. But... unlike FFX/X-2, this game gets better the more time you spend with it.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hadoken: I don't remember having much trouble with the beginning of the game so much as with the Mega Bosses in end game.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really wish this was coming to Xbox one. I believe this was my first FF that I actually sat down and played the hell out of, it pushed me to pick up 10 as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.