Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Dec 15, 2011

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII released by Square Enix in early 2012.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Is A Real Video Game By Square Enix

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

It just seemed too crazy to believe when the first details popped up; Last week, Kotaku reported that Japanese publisher Square Enix had registered the site domain for something called finalfantasy13-2game. It sounded like.... but that couldn't be, right? Surely, this was some sort of trick or prank. Square wasn't really considering developing a sequel to a sequel that wasn’t as especially well-regarded as other sequels in the franchise… were they?

But, sure enough, the site registration was legit and the game in question is totally real. Andriasang reports that, at a press conference last night in Japan, Square Enix revealed that a sequel to last year’s Final Fantasy XIII was well into development. The newly christened Final Fantasy XIII-2 continues the adventures of Lightning and her team of RPG vagabonds in a brand new adventure, utilizing the long-in-development engine (and, probably, some of the art assets) that powered the original game.

Oh, man. She's the One Winged Angel. I just saw that.

And because Square doesn't have to spend all of that extra time developing the engine, players won’t have to wait nearly as long to get their hands on this newest iteration of the game. According to Square Enix, Final Fantasy XIII-2 (which, in case you haven't guessed, is a game title that is just as terrible to type out as it is to say with your mouth) is on track for release in Japan this year on both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 (no need to wait for Microsoft's E3 Press Conference to get the news). That crazy-quick turnaround for this game’s development doesn’t just apply to the Japanese release; Joystiq reports that Final Fantasy XIII-2 should be available in English-speaking territories by “next winter.” Even if that means an early 2012 release date, that's a pretty short development cycle for a Final Fantasy game.

In addition to announcing the game, Square showed off the very first trailer for XIII-2 at the event itself. Technically, the full, high-resolution of the trailer was supposed to launch on the game's official site this Thursday, but that didn't stop the internet from shooting bad footage of the trailer and posting it online first.  

So, can you guys glean any details about this Final Fantasy XIII sequel from the trailer? Here's what I noticed; Armored Ass-less Chaps. That is the worst. The worst

For the most part, though, we really have no clues about how XIII-2 is going to go down. No real sense if the game is a continuation of the events set into motion at the end of XIII-1, or if this is a brand new adventure that has little in relation to the previous game. We don't know how (or if) the gameplay has changed, if the linear level layouts of the original game have been altered or kept in place, or even how many hours of the game will be devoted to a tutorial of the battle system (hopefully, less!). It doesn't really feel prudent to make any assumptions as to how this new game will differ from its predecessor, if at all.

But I’m just going to cross my fingers and hope hope hope that the game features Lightning as the leader of a J-Pop supergroup that uses the power of pop music to save the world from the sins of mankind or Armageddon or God. It worked so well the last time.   

Fingers crossed!
    Fingers crossed!
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

It just seemed too crazy to believe when the first details popped up; Last week, Kotaku reported that Japanese publisher Square Enix had registered the site domain for something called finalfantasy13-2game. It sounded like.... but that couldn't be, right? Surely, this was some sort of trick or prank. Square wasn't really considering developing a sequel to a sequel that wasn’t as especially well-regarded as other sequels in the franchise… were they?

But, sure enough, the site registration was legit and the game in question is totally real. Andriasang reports that, at a press conference last night in Japan, Square Enix revealed that a sequel to last year’s Final Fantasy XIII was well into development. The newly christened Final Fantasy XIII-2 continues the adventures of Lightning and her team of RPG vagabonds in a brand new adventure, utilizing the long-in-development engine (and, probably, some of the art assets) that powered the original game.

And because Square doesn't have to spend all of that extra time developing the engine, players won’t have to wait nearly as long to get their hands on this newest iteration of the game. According to Square Enix, Final Fantasy XIII-2 (which, in case you haven't guessed, is a game title that is just as terrible to type out as it is to say with your mouth) is on track for release in Japan this year on both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 (no need to wait for Microsoft's E3 Press Conference to get the news). That crazy-quick turnaround for this game’s development doesn’t just apply to the Japanese release; Joystiq reports that Final Fantasy XIII-2 should be available in English-speaking territories by “next winter.” Even if that means an early 2012 release date, that's a pretty short development cycle for a Final Fantasy game.

In addition to announcing the game, Square showed off the very first trailer for XIII-2 at the event itself. Technically, the full, high-resolution of the trailer was supposed to launch on the game's official site this Thursday, but that didn't stop the internet from shooting bad footage of the trailer and posting it online first.  

So, can you guys glean any details about this Final Fantasy XIII sequel from the trailer? Here's what I noticed; Armored Ass-less Chaps. That is the worst. The worst

For the most part, though, we really have no clues about how XIII-2 is going to go down. No real sense if the game is a continuation of the events set into motion at the end of XIII-1, or if this is a brand new adventure that has little in relation to the previous game. We don't know how (or if) the gameplay has changed, if the linear level layouts of the original game have been altered or kept in place, or even how many hours of the game will be devoted to a tutorial of the battle system (hopefully, less!). It doesn't really feel prudent to make any assumptions as to how this new game will differ from its predecessor, if at all.

But I’m just going to cross my fingers and hope hope hope that the game features Lightning as the leader of a J-Pop supergroup that uses the power of pop music to save the world from the sins of mankind or Armageddon or God. It worked so well the last time.   

Fingers crossed!
    Fingers crossed!
    baconbringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By baconbringer

wow

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Sitoxity

No.

Purplie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Purplie

shiet.......

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I cannot wait for this game to come out. I loved XIII, screw all the haters.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

I'm gonna pull my PS2 back out, put Shadow Hearts in it, and remember the days when JRPG's weren't freaking insane.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Skald

Numbering system fail.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By phrosnite

JRPG...

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By KarlPilkington

I ENJOYED FINAL FANTASY 13

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By HadesTimes

I guess 13 was more successful than most people thought. What ever happened to Final Fantasy versus 13? Or is this instead of that?  Or are they BOTH coming out? This is all rather strange, doesn't this strike anyone else as strange?

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By kollay

Well, here we go again.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12  Edited By delta_ass

She is perfect as the White Swan, but she does not have the darkness to play the Black Swan.

Also, this looks batshit insane.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GunslingerPanda

No, it's a fake videogame by Hodder.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By core1065

Dare god no.... NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hourai

I will probably play this but I'm keeping expectations low. 

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mattbodega
    @LordCmdrStryker: The original Shadow Hearts? Or Shadow Hearts Covenant? Because that game is decidedly INSANE (but in a good way).
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mattbodega
    @Delta_Ass: Yes. Very good. Keep it up.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm willing to give it a chance. 
    I have to agree with you Kessler in regards to Lightning's outfit. It completely defeats the point of her character and is purely there as a sex image.

ironscimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ironscimitar

*facepalm*

Meanwhile, Parasite Eve and Kingdom Hearts remain forgotten for the 360/PS3.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20  Edited By ElCapitan

Looks like somebody (SquEnix) didn't listen to the Giant Bomb GOTY awards

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Omg it's lighting, can't wait.

Elerigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Elerigo

I digg the armor

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EmuLeader

I liked XIII, but i didn't like how linear it was for the whole first 3/4 of the game.  Maybe they will keep the art assets and battle system and turn it into a real JRPG, with free-roaming worlds and towns, like the older ones.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RedRoach

if the combat is more of a classic turn based rpg and they do a better job of explaining crazy shit, i might be interested.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel
    @HadesTimes said:
    " I guess 13 was more successful than most people thought. What ever happened to Final Fantasy versus 13? Or is this instead of that?  Or are they BOTH coming out? This is all rather strange, doesn't this strike anyone else as strange? "
    Versus XIII is still coming out.  A trailer was shown at the same event that this announcement about XIII-2 was made.
    Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LordCmdrStryker
    @MattBodega: Either/or.  Maybe even From the New World if I'm gettin' crunk.  Those were some great games.
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vaile

"Thirteen-Two" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Ten-Two."

ColonelT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ColonelT

FFXIII was the single worst AAA title of 2010, is arguably the worst AAA title of this generation, and is the worst of the numbered Final Fantasies (save for XIV, which I haven't played). That it's getting a direct sequel is appalling. Good day, sir. GOOD DAY.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By XenoNick

Willing to give it a go. Enjoyed the battle system in FFXIII

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @wasteguru said:
    " I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to agree with you Kessler in regards to Lightning's outfit. It completely defeats the point of her character and is purely there as a sex image. "
    One of the few things I did like about XIII was Lightning.  

Have to say I'm very disappointed in her X-2 style new costume.  Goes completely against her character and looks ridiculous.  I am willing to give this one a chance, but it's already off to a bad start.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By vaiz

Whatever, guys. VersusXIII and Type-0 (Formerly Agito) look pretty boss. Fuck this noise.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

sold my copy of 13 without finishing it. have absolutely no interest in this one.

Stew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Stew

Where are those armored assless chaps? I was promised armored assless chaps!

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By moelarrycurly

Totally stoked.  FF XIII had an amazing battle system and some interesting fiction, so if the sequel is more open-ended and keeps the good stuff, I'm there.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Hopefully, they can make this FF game worthy of my attention. I am still slightly disappointed by FFXIII, but perhaps they can rework the world of FFXIII into something better.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By LegalBagel

If this is like FFX-2 in that they create an awesome battle system (or hell, even just streamline the current one so it doesn't take 13 hours to become fun) then great.  If this is like FFX-2 in that it is not possible to play without being embarrassed to own the game, then I probably won't be getting it.

MrBlowfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrBlowfish

Just remake the damn PSOne FF games. Those are the ones people actually care about.

But no. They have to make bloody FF XIII-2. Good luck with that.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By taccyp

*sigh*

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ohhhhh, DOWN! Phoenix Down!

nate64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nate64

I loved Final Fantasy X-2. The story was maybe the worst ever but I loved it simply for the dressphere system. I was addicted to leveling up the individual dresspheres and learning new moves. It's a shame that system was tied to such a shitty game as it makes it less likely to return in the future. As for XIII-2, XIII was terrible so unless they make some radical changes I can't see myself enjoying this game any. Maybe they could add some cool weapons to go along with the boomerang like a airsoft gun or some other childrens toy.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JohnDudebro

Someone isn't accepting their Take a Break award!

oreste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By oreste

couldn't care less about another FF

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43  Edited By natetodamax

Not really digging the outfit Lightning is wearing. Oh well. 

I guess I'll finish FF13 now.... although reading a plot summary would probably be easier on my mind.

Tsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tsai

That girl needs more meat on her.. for the Xbox 360 version

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mutha3
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @wasteguru said:
    " I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to agree with you Kessler in regards to Lightning's outfit. It completely defeats the point of her character and is purely there as a sex image. "
    One of the few things I did like about XIII was Lightning.  

Have to say I'm very disappointed in her X-2 style new costume.  Goes completely against her character and looks ridiculous.  I am willing to give this one a chance, but it's already off to a bad start. "
    I dunno, the ass thighs are ridiculous, true, but I think a "lady in the armor" look fits Lightning perfectly. 

The real problem is that new dude. Holy shit, he looks terrible.
    Woodwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Woodwater

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA..... 

That is all.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By wrathofconn

Could not possibly care any less.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Simulacrum

Que the hating...

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Duecenage

My biggest issue with FFXIII was that when it was all over I was like, "Really? that's all?" I thought I still had another chapter to go. So maybe this was just what I was looking for in order to appreciate this world.

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By advocatefish

What?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.