Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

5 Things You Will Hate And Need To Know

• 58 results
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShinjiEx

1) No towns: There is not a single city in the game. There are no stopping places. No Inns. There are no hamlets, burgs or villages. This is a huge change from the previous open-world style FF action you're used to --and a change from most RPGs, actually. In almost all previous Final Fantasy games going back to the ancient Final Fantasy 1 in the 1980s, you'd enter a homebase style town and work outward from their.

Which brings us to the second thing you'll hate about Final Fantasy XIII...

2)It's Very Linear: Final Fantasy XIII is not entirely on a track, but for the first 25 hours(!) or so, you're going to be moving in a straight line, forward. This, of course, propels the action nicely, but doesn't appeal to gamers who like to feel like they're gaming in the "real" world with limitless possibilities and options. I guess those people can suffer through 25 hours of playing to get to the "good part."

3) No mini-games: There are no arena battles, no Blitz-ball, no Card Battles, none of that stuff on the side that can be a nice break from the main plotline. With fans devoting themselves to minutia of past games' mini-games, this is a big, infuriating change.

4) Little equipment: You're not going to find a huge variety of weapons in Final Fantasy XIII, and there is no armor at all, so if gearing up is your passion, you're going to be hating on this game--There's just not a lot of stuff to purchase. There are items that you can use to level up the weapons that you do have, but not a lot of weapon variety, another huge change from previous gear-heavy FF games.

5) It's on the 360: This is the first Final Fantasy game for the 360 so lucky number 13 is bound to anger console purists who feel that the Final Fantasy universe belongs only to Sony console owners.

Lest we be accused of always looking on the negative side of things, check back on Wednesday, where we'll detail the five things gamers will absolutely love about Final Fantasy XIII. And for more bile-inducing Final Fantasy anger, check back tomorrow when we'll have a side-by-side video comparison of the 360 and PS3 versions of the game for you to enjoy, dissect and argue over.

From G4TV X-Play

I'm a personal longtime fan of the series and I can't wait to play Final Fantasy XIII

Change is not to be feared

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Dizzyhippos

1) so what?
    2) that sounds like a jrpg alright
    3) never do them
    4) worked for mass effect 2

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @Dizzyhippos said:

"1) so what? 
     2) that sounds like a jrpg alright 
     3) never do them 
     4) worked for mass effect 2 "

Agree with everything he said but will be getting it on PS3.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By frankxiv

more like list of things you don't mind and already knew.

i love how people jump in their shit for making all these changes, but then jump in everyone else's shit for being the same old same old jrpg formula. make up your fucking minds.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ryoma122

1: ok ill get over it 
    2: yup that sounds like final fantasy alright (anything 10 and after)
    3: well niether did 12 and i stil managed to make my way through that 
    4: ok sounds like 8 lol 
    5: well i wanna get the 360 version just to be a rebel (but i dont have a 360) 

Skeetlejuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skeetlejuice

13. lucky it is not as 13 most commonly is the number of death, a big reason why apartment buildings scam tenants into believing 14 is not 13 :P 

reasons why i do not care about all the twisted up underwear and all the consumption of hatoraide in and about the reviews... 

1. got a sweet trade in deal on some games i was done with 
    2. fang 
    3. fang's eidolon is bahamut (who is my favorite) 
    4. thinking about lulu from x and all the haters at that time and that game was super linear and i enjoyed it and i thought blitzball was lame and didn't play it much so there xplay 
    5. I hear szah has many great lines 
    6. for all the smack talk of the xbox version having more lightning inner thigh on their box cover it appears we(ps3) are the ones that will actually see it in gameplay and cutscene(576p HD lite on 360 still better than nothing)  
    7. production values, graphics, cutscenes, and fully realized characters look incredible(from what i have seen) despite your opinions on japanese conventions on hair, clothes, gender identity, dialogue 
    8. lightning... but more so fang.  
    9. battle looks fun and very deep 
    10. long story led adventure with tons of gameplay which will be good after playing heavy rain(was great and different) and having god of war 3 coming up  (as those are in the ballpark of 10-12 hours vs 50+)
    11. did i mention fang and bahamut and comic relief by szah with UNBELIEVABLE production values??? 

things i'm concerned about ... 
    growing to like leona lewis songs by proxy
    kevin van ord's warnings of vanille being annoying as all hell 
    getting into nerd or general conversations having to talk about ffxiii and it's merits or flaws... i don't care I will be picking it up tomorrow morning and i know that i will enjoy it.  

do i expect it to be my favorite ff game? no it might be but i do expect it to have an engaging world a cool story great battle system some characters that grab me right off the cuff and the most impressive visuals and presentations in any jrpg thus far, and while I have respect for western rpgs, I like FF and DW/Q and besides my room mate picked up mass effect 2 and dragon age(on ps3 ;) got better reviews than 360) and he will likely pick up awakening and well I get to play those games and save money, he doesn't like jrpg's so i couldn't get him to play FF13 even if it got 10s hehe. Quote "I would pick it up even if it got 7's" in regards to me2, the first mass effect was one of his favorite games, and that's my point it doesn't matter what other people like or their preferences (unless your getting them a gift) it matters what you like.   

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By dietmango
    @Skeetlejuice: Yeah, Leona Lewis on Final Fantasy...doesn't really fit. I mean, it's not a bad song, just, I don't know. And from watching some vids already, I already find Vanille's voice annoying. So I may or may not agree with what Kevin Van Ord said. Lol at #5; definitely. I like Sazh's ENG voice actor. I think he might turn out to be my favorite FFXIII character.

I'm eventually going to pick this up on the PS3. The changes don't really affect me much or anything. I'm probably sort of disappointed with some of it, but that's not going to stop me from purchasing it. Even with the super-linear approach and the lack of towns, or anything else everybody is crying foul about, I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this game as a whole anyway.
    Sagata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sagata

1) Its something new.  
    2) All Final Fantasy games are linear. Its a JRPG and that should be expected. 
    3) I hated the mini-games. 
    4) Probably has a different system like every other game.  
    5) Really? You must be stupid. Final Fantasy started on the NES, and continued to the SNES. The remakes of those games are on the DS and gameboy advance. You point here for being a "Sony" purist for the FF series, is null and void. 

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FunExplosions
    @ShinjiEx: Kids posting above are fucking ridiculous. Don't worry. Real people read your post, too, and got its actual message. Thanks for the heads up. Now I'll know what not to be bummed out about when I get it. Makes it better, if anything.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Turambar

But I don't have any 5 of them.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Andorski

Looks like this thread flew over the heads of a few people here.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Meowayne

I like 2, 4 and 5 and don't care about 1 and 3.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By GunstarRed

I don't really mind and of those five changes.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I think I love the fact it has no mini games, I HATED useless card games, shits ball and other mini games in past final fantasies.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZenaxPure

So I have plunged about 2 and a half hours into it now and honestly the internet has disappointed me (not surprising I guess since people like to overblow shit). To be fair this could drastically change as I continue on but so far the game has not been as "linear" as many people have described it.  

Yes you are going from point a to point b and yes there is only one way to get there but a lot of reviews have basically described it as you could hold down the analog stick and get where you are going. So far this is not really true, yes you aren't going to get lost but there are plenty of nooks and crannies to throw you off the main path where treasure chests and more enemies (! combat is quite engaging so far, so I have been going out of my way to fight everything) so moving around dungeons isn't as straight forward and boring as many folks would like you to believe. Though like I've said I have only been to a few areas so far this structure could sway in either direction.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jiggah
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " So I have plunged about 2 and a half hours into it now and honestly the internet has disappointed me (not surprising I guess since people like to overblow shit). To be fair this could drastically change as I continue on but so far the game has not been as "linear" as many people have described it.   Yes you are going from point a to point b and yes there is only one way to get there but a lot of reviews have basically described it as you could hold down the analog stick and get where you are going. So far this is not really true, yes you aren't going to get lost but there are plenty of nooks and crannies to throw you off the main path where treasure chests and more enemies (! combat is quite engaging so far, so I have been going out of my way to fight everything) so moving around dungeons isn't as straight forward and boring as many folks would like you to believe. Though like I've said I have only been to a few areas so far this structure could sway in either direction. "
    Not really.  It's freaking linear just as RE5 was linear.  All FFs have been pretty linear, but they at least give a decent amount of illusion that you have some freedom, that's not  the case with this game thus far and 25-30 hours to get to the point where you actually explore the world is pretty freaking ridiculous.

I really wish they had taken 12 and made it much bigger and more detailed.  It had by far the best battle system with an intelligent way to handle your party members indirectly and still give you a hands-on approach.  The GRIN FFXII spin-off looked extremely interesting.  I'm hoping it's still alive.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By lucas_kelly

If you are looking for a traditional type RPG, I suggest you play Lost Odyssey. FF XIII is very different from previous games.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18  Edited By ShinjiEx

To Point out G4TV X-Play still gave the game 4 out of 5 ^_^

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar

1.) Eh, there are ways to work around having towns. Usually hate going up to every NPC and talking to them just to not miss out on anything anyway. 
    2.) Did no one play Final Fantasy X? Same linear shit was there too. As long as I eventually get my airship and shit gets all free roaming by the end of the game I';ll be happy since its been that way for a while.
    3.) Yeah, kinda sad by that since a good chunk of my time with any rpgs is the side stuff. 
    4.) I'm fine by that, as long you can still customize your character's skills and such 
    5.) Wah, wa? fanboy much?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rhaknar

please dont make topics assuming you are god and everyone thinks like you

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By nywt

1. I'm glad. I don't want to have to keep going back to town to finish quests or buy equipment or anything of the sort. 
    2. Super glad. I play JRPGs when I want a more linear game that just takes we along for the story without too much in the way of distractions. 
    3. I have only played a few Final Fantasy games (IV, X, XII) and I couldn't even tell you if any of those had mini-games. I don't play RPGs of any kind for the mini-games. 
    4. This seems like my only complaint. The thing I love about RPGs is collecting loot and outfitting my characters how I want to. I felt this was a step back in Mass Effect 2 and I feel the same here. 
    5. I own both an Xbox 360 and PS3 but I will definitely be buying it on the PS3. Not because I'm biased to one system over the other (in fact, every cross platform game I own is on the 360 simply because of Xbox Live and points, so this is a departure for me) but because every review I have read says that the PS3 version is the superior version. It has better compression on all the in game cinematics  and only one disc. However, if I didn't own a PS3 I would gladly buy it for the Xbox and probably enjoy it just as much. 

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By vaiz
    @Rhaknar said:
    " please dont make topics assuming you are god and everyone thinks like you "
    You should give reading the opening post a go instead of making kneejerk posts assuming the poster assumes they're god and everyone thinks like them. You might have noticed they're just pointing towards an outside article and are actually excited for FF13!
    deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deadmanforking

What, fuck Sony! I'm still pissed Sony got this seris! FINAL FANTASY IS NINTENDO ALL THE WAY!!! FUCK SONY!!!!  
    (Just so people know, I am being sarcastic, some people on the internet don't really seem to understand sarcasm...) 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By oldschool

Ummmm, isn't this just a post of an article from another site, not by the member?  The last 2 lines is by the member?  Why are people attacking the OP?  Am I the one missing the point? 

I will wait until I buy a PS3 and get the only version worth owning - just my opinion.  I don't think this game will rate anywhere near the top of my favourite games list and I don't think I am going to like the "no towns".  The linear aspect doesn't bother me in the slightest.  In fact, I still like linear RPGs.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gosukiller

As a Nintendo fanboy I am very pissed they are bringing out a FF on a Sony system. WTH Square?!

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainObvious

I don't mind these.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By skrutop

Right, because Sony is the only company that's ever had a Final Fantasy game on its consoles.  Oh wait...

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Huey2k2
    @ShinjiEx said:
    5) It's on the 360: This is the first Final Fantasy game for the 360 so lucky number 13 is bound to anger console purists who feel that the Final Fantasy universe belongs only to Sony console owners.
    Ugh, I hate it when people say this. I wonder if people who say this kind of crap realise that FF games actually started on Nintendo systems? Anyone who seriously think that FF is a Sony exclusive thing is dumb.

I have a 360 and a PS3 and am going to go pick up my PS3 copy today, and anyone that thinks that the 360 doesn't deserve FF or something stupid like that is absolutely retarded.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#29  Edited By vager

Man; 1, 2 and 4 are some of the big reasons why I like RPGs. 
    I never liked the Final Fantasy series; the only one I've ever liked was Mystic Quest. 
    I've always found JRPG stories to be weird and go overboard with drama and stereotypes. 
    Even still I temped to buy it.. 
    God damn, it's frustrating wanting to buy and play a game, knowing your most likely not going to like it.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nanikore
    @Skeetlejuice said:
    " ....  13. lucky it is not as 13 most commonly is the number of death "
    YEAH AND IT TOTALLY WASN'T SARCASM
    championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By championfetus
    @ryoma122 said:

2: yup that sounds like final fantasy alright (anything 10 and after)

11 was an MMO and 12 was extremely open to exploration
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Demyx

The only thing that might actually bother me would be the lack of equipment, but it was alright in Mass Effect 2, I can deal with it again. The lack of mini games is fine with me. I never really enjoyed them, especially blitzball....

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By haggis

I'm not sure there's really a conflict between saying that JRPGs don't really innovate enough, and then complaining about all the things they ripped out. There could be, but from my perspective I just wish they'd kept a lot of the things they ripped out, and changed the story dynamic and got rid of the cliched JRPG characters in the game. I have the same qualms about western RPGs like Mass Effect 2. They took out too much of the RPG stuff, in my opinion. I'd be happier with something in-between. But FF13 doesn't look like a bad game at all, just not what I generally like in an RPG. If they had made different decisions ... I probably would have considered it.

Still, none of the things on this list were unknown. And who complains about a game because it's no longer an exclusive? Do people not remember that Final Fantasy was originally on the NES, and not a Sony platform? Anyway, if you're buying a cross-platform game, and have both consoles, it only makes sense you buy it on the lead platform. That's usually the 360 these days, but FF13 was lead on PS3, so if you're lucky enough to have both consoles, it makes sense to buy it for the PS3.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bhhawks78

1.  Most of the cast besides the black guy with the afro is creepy and androngynus
    2.  If you play it and say anything other than zomg greatest game ever you will get flamed 
    3.  It's a FF game post 6 so you know the story will be cliche and bad at best

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By dietmango
    @ShinjiEx said:
    " To Point out G4TV X-Play still gave the game 4 out of 5 ^_^ "
    Lol they did? With their 5 points (as you listed above), it doesn't sound like a 4/5. They more like criticized it than praised it. Eh I don't pay attention to G4 anyway.
    mistafish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mistafish

i dont really mind any of those changes... i HATED the side crap anyway so thats a plus for me

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Meowayne
    @asian_pride said:
    They more like criticized it than praised it.
    This is true for a significant portion of the reviews. "There are dozens upon dozens of things wrong with this game. But because of the high production values and peer pressure, we'll give this a high rating".
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fallen189

This is a terrible thread.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By nukesniper

#5: Final Fantasy will always be a Nintendo game to me. 

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#40  Edited By wwfundertaker

Its trying to appeal to a new fan base. Look at FFXII, people liked it or hated it.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Stang
    @ShinjiEx: Got a nice laugh at point 5. Here is a nice little piece of info I will share with you, FF started out as a Nintendo exclusive. I know, mind blown.

edit

I guess there was a buttload of sarcasm in the op that I entirely missed.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sickVisionz

Towns in JRPGs suck imo.  All they are is a collection of these things 

• Little girl running around, "I can't find my cat"
    • Little boy running around, "Have you seen my sister?  She's looking for our cat."
    • Poor person, "Rich people are so mean to us."
    • Rich person, "I wish the poor would leave this city."
    • Random person, "this town is great"
    • Random person, "You're new here and [insert random odd statement about the plot that would be weird to tell a perfect stranger]"
    • Random person, "One day I will leave this town."
    I say good riddance to that.  The stuff always sucked, but might be more interesting if they made it a cutscene.  The only good thing about towns is that stores are there. 

2 & 4, are things that Mass Effect 2 did but were praised for.  Linearity isn't a bad thing.  The first RPGs I played were JRPGs so I never really agreed with the, "not open world = crap by default" mindset that others have.  Even my favorite WRPGs (KOTOR2 + BioWare games) are linear. 

3.  The loss of minigames isn't a big deal to me. 

5. Isn't worth mentioning.
    Burntlettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Burntlettuce

The only thing on your list I really care about is the armor. I just like having to shift through mads amount of armor, one of the reasons I like FF9 so much. But I do not see why you made this thread, anyone who was going to play FFXIII already knew every single point you made. I know you may feel the need to stroke your e-peen about all the "knowledge" you may have on the game, but try to give us something we haven't know for the past 3 months. 

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By time allen

the mini games were always just a pretty way to waste time.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Addfwyn

1)   No big deal really, the game's design doesn't really leave room for town exploration.  You just save time by not having filler to do (going through the town talking to every NPC 3 times to trigger a story action) 
    2)  Not the first linear game ever made, in fact every JRPG is pretty linear.  It's been said before, FFXIII just removes the illusion of choice, you never actually had choice.  Nobody complains that a game like Uncharted 2 is super linear, because it is a quality of that genre of game.  Well, JRPGs are linear, quality of the genre.  It opens up a lot at chapter 11 anyway, if you are really worried about it. 
    3) Yeah, I miss Triple Triad.  Oh well, I don't play FF games for the minigames anyway. 
    4)  So?  Customization is about your skills, not your equipment.  I take it you never played FFX, which has a very similar equipment customization level. 
    5)  Um, who cares?  Seriously?  I play it on my PS3, it does not diminish my enjoyment to know that people are playing it on the 360.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ArchScabby

1)  It's Final Fantasy

Don't need five reasons to hate it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Wait... so basically you're saying it's not even an RPG anymore?

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aus_azn
    @ShinjiEx said:

Not a rationale for complaint. Especially the console thing. True FF purists will know that the series got its start on Nintendo systems.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By TheHT

lol @ all the people hating on this game for the same lame-o reasons.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By beforet

1)It's strange, but I'll get used to it. Though I will miss the pointless banter with the NPCs that pace around the same area the entire game.
    2)I'm okay with linear. A good linear game is better than a game with badly shoehorned open world stuff, and most of the other Final Fantasy games (past VII, pretty sure 1-6 were a good deal different) were linear for the first chunk as well.
    3)No chocobo riding? =(
    4)Aww, I liked buying new equipment every time I got to a new town. But I'll manage
    5)What? Why would I be upset by that? More people that get to play it the better.

Overall, not much to hate here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.