Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

A Case for Final Fantasy XIII, Or: Why It's One of the Better Final Fantasies

• 127 results
    tamriilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By tamriilin

Final Fantasy XIII is a pretty divisive game. There's the group which despises it and firmly believes it to be the death knell of the entire franchise, and there's the (admittedly far smaller) camp which sees it for what it is: an interesting JRPG which breaks the formulaic methodology of the past entries (something which Final Fantasy XII was lauded for) and does some kind of interesting things with its story, and some even more unique things with its combat. I'm going to attempt explain why the latter has some merit to its argument, and why FFXIII isn't the abominable blight on the series that so many think it is.

I'm gonna break it down into three categories in three different blog posts: Combat, Character Progression, and Story.

Combat

I ordered
    I ordered "Flan," not... Oh.

Though it may not look it in screenshots, the combat in XIII is a stark departure from previous entries. Instead of the traditional ATB, it instead utilizes a fully real-time system in which the player still chooses abilities and attacks like a more traditional JRPG, but in which enemies and players can potentially be using abilities simultaneously.

Defeating enemies entails more than just "attack it until it's dead;" XIII employs a system called "chain combos" in which the player attempts to fill up that bar (known as the "Chain Gauge") in the top-right of the screen, which "staggers" the enemy and causes them to take drastically increased damage from attacks. Certain classes are better at building up this meter than others, and ceasing attacks on an enemy causes the chain gauge to slowly whittle back down to nothing.

No Caption Provided

Character classes are broken down into "roles" - Medic, a healing class whose closest analogue would be White Mage; Ravager, a magic user who attempts to build up the chain gauge through quick assaults; Commando, a melee fighter who focuses on dealing as much damage as possible and slowing the decline of the chain gauge; Synergist, a magic role which casts buffs such as protect, shell, and haste on party members; Saboteur, who casts de-buffs on enemies; and Sentinel, who is essentially the "tank" of the game and possesses an extraordinary amount of HP and defense, and can even provoke enemies to attack him/her.

The player can switch party roles at any time using "Paradigm Shift," changing the entire party's roles simultaneously. It is herein where the depth of combat lies; without learning which roles to shift to and at which time to do so, combat becomes tedious, boring, and incredibly difficult.

For instance, the player may encounter an enemy which possesses extremely high HP and magic defense and is completely immune to being staggered, but is weak to the fire element and has low physical defense. In this case, the player would want to switch to a party containing two Commandos and a Synergist -- the Synergist gives the two Commandos Enfire (all attacks deal fire elemental damage) -- before switching to two Commandos and a Medic. Alternatively, the player could just use three Commandos, if he were confident enough in his abilities as to not need a healer. This kind of design theory applies to the entire game, and the combat ends up being more like a puzzle than a traditional JRPG system.

No Caption Provided

Defeating enemies is in itself rewarding -- each enemy possesses a "par time" for defeat, and killing an enemy or a group of enemies under par time increases your victory ranking, which leads to more experience and item drops. Items dropped from enemies include weapons, accessories, items useful for crafting, and items which serve no purpose other than to be sold for gil (the currency, which is not earned by simply defeating enemies).

The combat is indeed a far cry from "mindlessly press A until things die" that so many people seem to claim; there is a uniqueness to the depth that few JRPGs attain (fewer still post-PS2 era).

Next up: Character Progression.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Good read. Final Fantasy XIII is one of my favorite games of the generation, even if certain aspects of it (Hope) are pretty awful.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Didn't read because I plan on playing it and judge for myself. (Despite the fact it is FF title) I just can't shake the hunch that it's maybe underrated.

That said, why is this topic in General Discussion and not associated to FFXIII ...

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For as much as I enjoyed FFXIII, and its combat system, the fact that it can take 10-20 hours for the combat to really open up is a fair criticism that this article doesn't really address. But I do like how it is actually pretty complex, and the enemies in Gran Pulse could be pretty tough to beat. I jumped back into the game months after I completed it and found myself getting destroyed by some general enemy mobs. I just wish it had gotten to that part sooner.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

As interesting as the combat is, the reason I dislike it because it's, well, a slog. I stopped playing for a month after getting to gran pulse because the game was too hard for too long and it wore on me. It's also because there was no real pause mechanic (even 12 had one that you could use).

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By MEATBALL

The combat is enjoyable, but that's where it ends for me. If you really want to convince that Final Fantasy is one of the better Final Fantasy's maybe don't do that blog about the story, lol.

tamriilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By tamriilin

@meatball said:

The combat is enjoyable, but that's where it ends for me. If you really want to convince that Final Fantasy is one of the better Final Fantasy's maybe don't do that blog about the story, lol.

See, that's the thing: I liked XIII's story. It's a really interesting take on the "madman vying to conquer the world" plot and goes to a lot of really neat narrative places that few other games in the genre would ever dare to.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zalrus9

I have not played it fully, so feel free to disregard my opinions, but I did play at least 10 or so hours of it, and I really didn't like how long it took to get things going. Sure, that's true with most Squeenix titles (Kingdom Hearts, anyone?), but the story and characters are kind of crappy. Sex noises do not a quirky character make, guys!

However, I do like that battle system. You're not wrong!

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Yeah, the combat is excellent...15 hours in. That alone doesn't make up for the annoying characters and the insane writing.(cie, l'cie, cieth, fal'cie, focus, etc. Stop throwing out terms that mean absolutely nothing!)

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

It's an awful game and a disgrace to the franchise.

"Next up, Character Progression"

"Nevermind there isn't any and the story is terrible too"

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not much for me to say about this, as I fall into the "FF XIII was pretty good and I liked it" camp. The post ended up a bit shorter than what I expected, especially since at the start it was mentioned that 3 main ideas would be brought up, but I guess that's fine.

I enjoyed the combat of XIII and I still feel that's probably the best part of the game, although at times I got annoyed at how long it takes to shift into a new paradigm (usually every other shift, when it does the thing where it cuts to each character and shows what they're shifting to instead of just shifting the party as a whole). The other thing is that early on, before more roles are unlocked and given to you, you could basically just keep hitting 'A' or 'X' to win battles, with minimal shifting required.

However, with that being said, once the game really opens up and you're shifting every time after the actions are carried out, it's something else. The combat becomes exhilarating and you really have to think ahead about when to shift to get those key debuffs in or when you're better off just running with 3 Ravagers to bust up their Chain Gauge as quickly as possible, even going so far as to time your own actions so that the gauge doesn't reset back to normal since it's falling so fast without a Commando to slow its decay.

It can be quite a slow game but man... even just talking about the combat right now makes me want to go back..

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darji

@xalienxgreyx said:

I beg to Differ

No Caption Provided

But yeah FF13 was a good FF game. Especially the combat which I really enjoyed which is really rare in FF games. Another great example of great Combat was ff12 through. Can not wait to see the combat in full for 15

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

As someone who only liked the Tactics Advance FF games and FFX I went in with a pretty open mind. I played it for I think what was about 3-4 hours -I got to the part where the girl got put into the ice thing or came out of the ice thing. I can't remember which. I think it was someones sister- and had to shut it off out of pure boredom and lack of interest. I couldn't give two craps about the world or the characters by that point and the combat was not interesting enough to motivate me into wanting to keep going.

All that said, I somehow ended up with two copies of FF13 and a copy of FF13-2, so at some point I will probably go back and try to force my way through one last time before putting it on the shelf forever if it can't grab me this time around.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigjeffrey

Combat System is great, that's probably the only good thing about it.

also 13-2 is 10 bucks new at best buy right now, I liked that one more.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Animasta

@meatball said:

See, that's the thing: I liked XIII's story. It's a really interesting take on the "madman vying to conquer the world" plot and goes to a lot of really neat narrative places that few other games in the genre would ever dare to.

I have no idea what you're trying to refer to, it was fairly boiler plate beyond the whole you're on the run for the first half of the game.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat was ok but I really hated the party leader system. especially when during a large part of the game you had no control over who was the leader. I just think having you lose if the party leader dies is dumb when suddenly everything decides it wants to focus on him/her. I do wonder why they decided to go this, persona kind of had the same thing too come to think of it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat was ok but I really hated the party leader system. especially when during a large part of the game you had no control over who was the leader. I just think having you lose if the party leader dies is dumb when suddenly everything decides it wants to focus on him/her. I do wonder why they decided to go this, persona kind of had the same thing too come to think of it.

It was much worse in Persona since so much could instant kill you in that game. Oh man I remember rage quitting because of this a lot in Persona 3.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I believe that 20% more people would like FFXIII than did if everything were the same but it had a better script.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The combat in that game is the first time combat in a Final Fantasy game has felt fresh and vital since the invention of Active Time Battle.

But those first 6-8 hours are a dreadful time. It gets a lot better for the next 10, and then it turns into a pretty good JRPG until the end. But man, fighting that first 20 hour tutorial...

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@darji said:

@xalienxgreyx said:

I beg to Differ

No Caption Provided

But yeah FF13 was a good FF game. Especially the combat which I really enjoyed which is really rare in FF games. Another great example of great Combat was ff12 through. Can not wait to see the combat in full for 15

Supporting your argument with one of the worst characters in the history of anything ever isn't doing you any justice.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Flappy

I believe that 20% more people would like FFXIII than did if everything were the same but it had a better script.

Probably. Tweak the pacing a little bit and you have a much better game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel

The combat in that game is the first time combat in a Final Fantasy game has felt fresh and vital since the invention of Active Time Battle.

But those first 6-8 hours are a dreadful time. It gets a lot better for the next 10, and then it turns into a pretty good JRPG until the end. But man, fighting that first 20 hour tutorial...

I never really understood the issue people have the first twenty hours. Yeah, it's slow in opening up the gameplay, but there's always something happening and the game keeps moving at a fast pace.

Thank you for your complete lack of meaningful contribution to this discussion.

@meatball said:

Honestly, I thought that the story in XIII is really good. People love to shit on the characters, Hope and Vanille in particular, but I wonder how many of those people actually played beyond the first few hours of the game. XIII is a really character-centric story and the characters noticeably mature as it goes on.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@xalienxgreyx said:

I beg to Differ

No Caption Provided

Supporting your argument with one of the worst characters in the history of anything ever isn't doing you any justice.

Oh hey you don't like child characters in games even when they have more of an arc than the main character, that's cool.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darji

@xalienxgreyx: Hope grew a lot in this game or this series. He went from very whiny because of the events that happened to him to a very dependable character. I really enjoyed his development in FFXIII and his interactions with Lightning.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By soldierg654342

It's certainly not the worst game I've ever played, that would be Magna Carta: Tears of Blood, but it is certainly the must infuriating game I've ever touched, and it's not because of the story like it is for most people. Hell, I love Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and the story in that game is dogshit. And it's not because the game is a 20+ hour long hallway, because honestly I tent to critical path most games anyway. It's because the combat system is terrible. And it's terrible because it's two steps from being great. Allow me to switch party members during the fight and directly control their place on the battlefield and everything would have been golden. But they didn't, and I was left watching all my party members clump together just in time for Thundaga to zap all of them so no other reason that I was helpless to stop them. I honestly felt like I had no control over the battles, and if you are just going to say I didn't play the game long enough, then fuck you. I played that game for 24 hours. If that's not giving it a fair chance I don't know what is.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: Yeah ok, you caught me I don't like child characters congratulations.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierg654342: I was really interested in Star Ocean 3 and its story right up until the twist. Oh holy hell, what a momentum-stopper.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By soldierg654342

@hailinel said:

@soldierg654342: I was really interested in Star Ocean 3 and its story right up until the twist. Oh holy hell, what a momentum-stopper.

I was super into the premise the game seemed to be setting out at the beginning: JPRG planet hopping with an amazing battle system. It lost me when I realized we weren't getting off the second, medieval planet. Then the twist happened and that certainly didn't help things. But that battle system is so good it carried me through multiple playthroughs. Then I realized that I could look up all the endings on YouTube and haven't touched the game since.

That twist did give the best justification I've ever seen for why most alien races are humanoid though: Asset generation, yo.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I contributed sense and logic to this thread thank you very much.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@meatball said:

Honestly, I thought that the story in XIII is really good. People love to shit on the characters, Hope and Vanille in particular, but I wonder how many of those people actually played beyond the first few hours of the game. XIII is a really character-centric story and the characters noticeably mature as it goes on.

I played to chapter 11 and I still found Vanille pretty bad. Her personality is just grating and sometimes her upbeat attitude really distracts from the story. The biggest example I can remember was right at the beginning after hopes mom dies. Also the sounds she makes it battle really got on my nerves after awhile.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

I was super into the premise the game seemed to be setting out at the beginning: JPRG planet hopping with an amazing battle system. It lost me when I realized we weren't getting off the second, medieval planet. Then the twist happened and that certainly didn't help things. But that battle system is so good it carried me through multiple playthroughs. Then I realized that I could look up all the endings on YouTube and haven't touched the game since.

That twist did give the best justification I've ever seen for why all alien races are humanoid though: Asset generation, yo.

You're right. That's really damn good justification!

It's not a small game, either, given that I spent fifty hours on the first disc alone. For a PS2 game, that's just insane. There came a point where I got so used to being on the medieval planet that when the game finally throws that stop in there to remind you "HEY! GO BACK TO SPACE, STUPID!" I had almost forgotten why I was even on that world in the first place.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@soldierg654342: That's the lamest aspect of the Star Ocean franchise, it's always been a generic sword and sorcery JRPG bookended with Star Trek stuff.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By donchipotle

@donchipotle: Yeah ok, you caught me I don't like child characters congratulations.

It's okay. Most don't.

Unconcerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that once the combat really opens up that it was very exciting, but that's the only part I liked. I don't remember anything about the story and maybe that says something about it. However, my biggest problem with the game was the characters. FF6 and 9 are by far my two favourites and it's all because of the characters. I didn't just find FF13's characters to be bland or inconsequential, I actively disliked pretty much all of them.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By soldierg654342
    @dallas_raines said:

@soldierg654342: That's the lamest aspect of the Star Ocean franchise, it's always been a generic sword and sorcery JRPG bookended with Star Trek stuff.

See, I didn't know that going in, as it was my first Star Ocean game. I though I was going to get a dungeon a planet or something and get to see all kinds of different locations and technologies. But nope, it turned out to be a mostly generic sword and sorcery JRPG bookended with Star Trek stuff. The Last Hope is slightly better in that regard, but not a whole lot.

@hailinel said:

@soldierg654342 said:

@hailinel said:

That twist did give the best justification I've ever seen for why all alien races are humanoid though: Asset generation, yo.

You're right. That's really damn good justification!

It's not a small game, either, given that I spent fifty hours on the first disc alone. For a PS2 game, that's just insane. There came a point where I got so used to being on the medieval planet that when the game finally throws that stop in there to remind you "HEY! GO BACK TO SPACE, STUPID!" I had almost forgotten why I was even on that world in the first place.

Yeah, that game has a shocking amount of content, but then again most Tri-Ace games do. I was even dumb and crazy enough to do all 100+ floors of the post-game bonus dungeon. I would hazard to guess that it's the game I've put the second most time into, after Dark Souls.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By blackichigo
    @dallas_raines said:

See, I didn't know that going in, as it was my first Star Ocean game. I though I was going to get a dungeon a planet or something and get to see all kinds of different locations. But nope, it turned out to be a mostly generic sword and sorcery JRPG bookended with Star Trek stuff. The Last Hope is slightly better in that regard, but not a whole lot.

I hated almost all the female characters in The Last Hope, Edge included.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierg654342 said:
    @dallas_raines said:

See, I didn't know that going in, as it was my first Star Ocean game. I though I was going to get a dungeon a planet or something and get to see all kinds of different locations. But nope, it turned out to be a mostly generic sword and sorcery JRPG bookended with Star Trek stuff. The Last Hope is slightly better in that regard, but not a whole lot.

Wait there is something not to hate about Last Hope? That game was probably the worst JRPG of this generation

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@blackichigo: That game is great for showing us how profound an effect voice direction can have. A very talented cast of actors all sound like ear shattering garbage in that game, it brought back memories of SO2.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I don't think the combat was terrible, but the characters...ugh. When they Introduced the "20 year old" half naked cat girl, who looks 12, I had to put down my controller and never play it again before the police showed up to my house.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By soldierg654342

@darji said:

@blackichigo said:
    @soldierg654342 said:
    @dallas_raines said:

Wait there is something not to hate about Last Hope? That game was probably the worst JRPG of this generation

Uhhh...the main character is named Edge Maverick, which is second only to Cypher Raige in overly manly names?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dallas_raines: I don't recall SO2 being that bad... then again, it's been a long time since I've last played SO2.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see some reasons why XIII is maybe not a terrible FF. I don't see any reasons that it's one of the "better" Final Fantasies. Besides the graphics, I can't think of one thing that XIII does that another FF doesn't do better.

P.S. This is my first post from my phone and howdy is the mobile post editor awful!

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@wchigo: No, the game is good, but the voice acting is legendarily awful.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

While there are certainly a couple parts I would qualify as dreadful, to me Final Fantasy 13's biggest offense isn't how bad it is, but how not good it is, if that makes sense to anybody but me.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wchigo

@dallas_raines: Well, yeah, the game itself was pretty great, I remember replaying that game a bunch and loving the crap out of it. I really don't remember much about the voice acting in that game though... perhaps it's time to do some digging on YouTube.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

God Final Fantasy 13. I wanted to like that game, I really did. I endured the endless linear corridor that was it's world. I spent many hours in its repetitive open field, going from one end, and then to the other. I spent 30 plus hours with its unlikable and aggressively annoying characters. I never finished it, but even after all that time wasted, i still want to go back and start over.

Y'know what? Fuck this game.

Having finished Persona 3 and more or less wrapping up on Persona 4 I realize what makes a good RPG and a bad one. And Final Fantasy 13 is a bad RPG. In spite of its combat, in spite of its gorgeous visuals-it is a poor story filled with poor characters and is told poorly. I come to an RPG for it's story and characters and world, and Final Fantasy 13 fails on all sides. Let me tell you what falls apart about this game.

THE WORLD

Yes, it's a gorgeous world, wildly imaginative and well realized. Too bad it's nothing more than window dressing, because I can't go anywhere, do anything, or interact with it in any significant way. I'm forever cursed to run on this pathway straight down an invisible hallway. I feel so disconnected from the world.

SEE DON'T TOUCH.

In a time where we have Skyrim, where I can see a mountain and actually GO THERE, Final Fantasy 13 really dropped the ball in this department. Final Fantasy 12 did a much better job at world-building than 13 ever did on its best day.

I don't care how much time and money you throw at your visuals if i can't do anything in your world, then it might as well not be there in the first place. Final Fantasy 13 is a multi-million dollar tram ride, and nothing more.

CHARACTERS

The characters are almost all truly loathsome. With the exception of Sazh and Fang, everyone else is your stereotypical anime archetype. And even those two's likability is very thin. Sazh is the only character with any kind of humanity to him. Pretty much everyone else is as one note as can be. Snow is the Idealistic Rebel, Lightning is the Wet Blanket. Serah is the Naive Teen, Hope is the Whiny Bitch, Vanillie is the Airhead kid I wanted to die a slow and painful death. These characters are all aliens. Each one is so self absorbed in their own little worlds that they refuse to let themselves open up for others and grow.

And before anyone brings up Hope, let me finish. I understand Hope has an arc, he starts as a whiny bitch obsessed with blind and ignorant revenge to someone who takes charge. But guess what, I'm not going to play through 30 hours of his incessant whining. His non-stop droning about how Snow ruined his life, even though the fault is with his mother... I don't care if Hope become Jesus Christ at the end of Final Fantasy 13, I'm not putting up with his awful character all the way through. No one should have to put up with that. But all of that pales in comparison to the game's real problem.

THE STORY

You know what? I can take unlikable characters, I can handle a linear non-interactive experience...if the story was at all compelling, or any good. But Final Fantasy can't even bring itself to do that.

Its story starts at the beginning of the second act, and never truly brings you up to speed on what lead up to it. There is one flashback scene and it's only about Snow and Serah's relationship. Everything else? It couldn't be bothered to tell you, except in its codex in the menus.

What's a L'Cie? Read the manual.

What's a Fal'Cie? Read the manual.

Why are people being deported? Read the manual.

Square, I shouldn't have to read extra material in order to know what's going on, that is YOUR responsibility. You're the ones telling me the story here.

Just like its own characters, Final Fantasy is so bloated and self-indulgent, that it cannot hope to bring many people into its world. If you had fun and liked Final Fantasy 13, that's wonderful. I would love to be included with you, but the game has given me little reason to love it.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

13 was my first Final Fantasy game. I really liked it - but take into consideration that I had no other FF's to compare it to....since then I've played A Realm Reborn (also good). Did not care for 13-2 though.

I was engaged by the combat and I dug the story. Slow intro of systems was only a bit tedious for me (again FF virgin)... and I did feel confident when the apron strings were cut. Last part of game (when it gets a little open-world like) was fantastic.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat is easily the best Final Fantasy combat. I don't understand why people knock it for being able to get through the easy battles by tapping the auto-battle button. You could do that in literally every Final Fantasy game. Just mash on attack and win almost everything. But when you can't do that anymore the combat is amazing compared to previous games in the series.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#50  Edited By musubi

Yeah, the combat is excellent...15 hours in. That alone doesn't make up for the annoying characters and the insane writing.(cie, l'cie, cieth, fal'cie, focus, etc. Stop throwing out terms that mean absolutely nothing!)

I never understood how any of that was confusing. I picked up on what every term meant without even having to delve into the codex thing which is also there if you need further explanation on the jargon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.