Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Am I seriously the only person who doesn't HATE Final Fantasy XIII

• 167 results
    bigwhiteyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Am I seriously the only person who doesn't HATE Final Fantasy XIII (316 votes)

What is wrong with you? That game is flaming dog shit! 24%
    I think the Internet overreacts a bit; there are good parts and bad. 38%
    I liked it! 30%
    I can't read ROMAN NVMERALS. 9%

I feel like the amount of vitriol for this game is ridiculous. Yes the story is convoluted and soapy. But it's a JRPG. If you can explain Kingdom Hearts to me, give it a try. And yes, the corridor that is the first 20 hours is lame, but it's just a different style of game. FFX was just as linear, and everyone loves that.

I'm in the process of playing it right now and I love the battle system. The game also looks gorgeous, and the voice acting is pretty good (Vanille excluded). I don't love every character (Hope can die in a fire), but at least it's entertaining- and it does a great job at providing an entertaining spectacle. Some of the enemy design is incredibly detailed and impressive, and the set pieces are really cool.

I don't know; I just feel like everyone hates the game without considering that it may actually be pretty good even if it's not a typical Final Fantasy formula. Thoughts?

• 
    Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Darji

I liked it. The combat system was fast and motivating with killing trash mobs in seconds while bosses and optional stuff does take strategy. The cast was good and I did not mind that there was no towns at all since It would not even made sense in this game. FFXIII-2 on the end was absolutely terrible.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I want to go back to it, but the combat was so overly complicated that I have no hope of picking it up back, so my only choice would be to start that dreadful 20 hour tutorial over. No thanks.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

yes, you are the only person to have this opinion!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so my only choice would be to start that dreadful 20 hour tutorial over.

That's a bunch of bullshit. There is no 20 hour tutorial. People only say that because the game introduces one new feature far after the actual tutorial period.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was alright but i didn't enjoy FF XIII-2 that much.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asurastrike said:

That's a bunch of bullshit. There is no 20 hour tutorial. People only say that because the game introduces one new feature far after the actual tutorial period.

Which strangely is pretty common for many many JRPGs but no complains there.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also FF13-2 is way way better

so play that afterwards and experience greatness

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's flaming dogshit.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I can say is that I repeatedly fell asleep trying to get through the first few hours of this game. Never touched it again.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The combat was easily the best part. I am very happy they decided to make a big change to the kind of turn based systems from 7-8-9-10 and toward something different. 12 was an interesting system as well, but it didn't quite do it for me, though it wasn't a bad game by any means. 13 had some other interesting ideas that I hope they iterate on and do something with in 15 whenever that comes around.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I liked XIII. I think the sequels are extremely unnecessary and forced.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it. And it was my first Final Fantasy, and I've never played another one. Who knows, it could be the worst thing in the world in comparison to others

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I swear there's a thread about this every fucking week

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I got a bit into chapter 11 and quit. The battle system was fine, I didn't mind the linearity, but the characters just destroyed the game for me. The only character that I kind of liked was Sazh, maybe they got better at the end but at the point I quit I just could not stand one more minute of them.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only one!

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, you are unique and special. Cherish this feeling. The only human being who shares this opinion is you, and no one exists to validate your beliefs (unless you aren't a human being).

Also, wasn't it something like 40 or so hours in that you finally had all the characters in your party and could finally drop those annoying damn kids and that douche mcgoosh in favor of Lightning, the spear chick and the black guy?

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Getz

I tried twice to play through it and I cannot bring myself to. The characters are the real weak link for me.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked FF13. It was one of the best games from Japan in that period. Make no mistake there are definitely issues but it is not a disaster.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems as though the internet really brings out the criticism like nothing else. Personally always thought the game was decent. Not great, not bad. At no point did I not have fun playing it, though I didn't always enjoy watching it.

The hate it gets is because some people didn't find it to their tastes when they thought it would, regretted buying it and playing it, and decided to ruin it for everyone else because they're spiteful little children. People like this cannot accept that some people might not share their opinions on things. The internet just allows them to vocalize those opinions in the most radical ways possible without getting punched in the face.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grantheaslip:

I'd say part of it is because it fits in with at least one present narrative, like "Japanese games suck and are slowly paced", "JRPGs the same thing", "modern games are overly tutorialized and hand-holdy", "Final Fantasy is a pile of shit that cares more about shallow story-telling thrills than it does about engaging gameplay", etc.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't think it's a very good PC port but it seems ok so far.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. You're not alone.

Maybe it's because I hadn't played a FF since X and even then barely played it. But I really liked XIII. Had a lot of fun and actually enjoyed the ease of the "30 hour tutorial" of learning the system and just sat back took it all in. I also enjoyed XIII-2 and I'm looking forward to playing Lightning Returns. :)

People need to stop going with what the majority of the internet think and just enjoy games. Try em out. Don't like reviews or stupid loud mouthed internet trolls ruin games for you. I learned that this past year with all thru Xbox One hate and I've been enjoying the hell out of that system and the games.

Also, you're never the only one.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the characters were worse than the cast in Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 and that's saying something, I couldn't even laugh at them. Never liked the ATB system to begin with and with XIII they took it even further down the menupromptsinahurry direction and two thirds of the party aren't even under your control.

Glad you liked it, I wanted to.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The beginning is just so boring and I hated how they split up your party and made you play through whole sections with super annoying characters. I haven't played it in a few years, but I seem to remember sections without any of the (relatively) interesting characters. It's not a terrible game, but my expectations for what games should be like have changed a lot since the last Final Fantasy I played (10) and 13 just didn't meet them. To be fair, the only JRPG I've played in the last five or six years that I really liked was Persona 4, so maybe I'm just tired of the genre.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mamba219 said:

The hate it gets is because some people didn't find it to their tastes when they thought it would, regretted buying it and playing it, and decided to ruin it for everyone else because they're spiteful little children. People like this cannot accept that some people might not share their opinions on things. The internet just allows them to vocalize those opinions in the most radical ways possible without getting punched in the face.

I don't think this is fair at all I can see plenty of reasons for people to express their hate of this game besides being "spiteful little children" trying to ruin everyone fun and I don't see how you marginalizing their opinion is any different than people who do the same to people who like the game.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gokaired

The game IS flaming dog shit.

No exploration, little choice, over simplified battle system, thoughtless levelling up system, too many cut scenes over gameplay, Lack of a coherent plot which was repetitive and lacked any real detail, no internal logic to the world (how does buying using distributing weapons and stuff work for example), Datalogues you NEED to read in order to actually understand what's going on, unbelievable plot conveniences. Stupid-stupid-stupid Characters that wander aimlessly (even the actual game admits this), schizophrenic atmosphere, mood and tone.

And more.

All of the above can be back up, having said all this liking it isn't bad in and of itself, that's okay i don't understand it but that's acceptable. however you are smoking the the strongest crack out of SE's arsehole to say it's anything near or beyond good. Because it isn't.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I enjoyed it. I think the combat system is excellent, once you get into the 3-character battles. Also Lightning is pretty cool.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@nux said:

When did this game show up on the PC?

FFXIII has a pretty good battle system. Story and characters seem all right, but I'm not very far in.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

It was okay, sure. I disliked how long it took to get going and how easy the general fights were (press X to win!), but I thought the last 10 hours were great. That combat system really shines in those complex fights that require a lot of switching and constant planning of your next move. I can understand those who hated the characters, but I have a soft spot for stupid animeified characters.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the combat, that's all I got.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nux said:

When did this game show up on the PC?

No, he means that he doesn't like the politically correct port of the game. What he has against Chocobo equality, I don't know.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bigjeffrey
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought 13 was absolutely a disappointment, and has a terrible first 6-8 hours. Absolutely terrible. But I also think it is the best Final Fantasy combat has been since the invention of Active Time. Story is your usual madness, but has a couple good angles and moments. Game looked pretty enough, but it just looks SO Final Fantasy that it actually starts to wear on you. Need more than one art style to fill a 60 hour game.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Samaritan

Not at all; I too quite liked FFXIII. I could very much tell where its flaws were, but was able to look past them and found an enjoyable Final Fantasy game with beautiful music, an interesting world, and really unique, fun combat. The characters were all pretty one-note, and the story wasn't anything great either, but I still came away liking the game.

bigwhiteyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the characters were worse than...Star Ocean 4 and that's saying something

Hey man... No. Not that.

Shame you couldn't get into it- hopefully the next one works for you. I really liked the combat system (but then again, I don't mind menus. I even enjoy turn-based combat when it's well done).

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By Beb

I played for like 20 hours and then gave up. To put that in perspective, I just completed A Link Between Worlds in that amount of time and that game was both good and full of content. FFXIII was all filler and no game.

figurehead00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really glad to see this. I definitely didn't hate it. As I said at the time, I wouldn't want every Final Fantasy to be this way, but I'm fine with this one being this way.

The battle system is is really interesting, and I thought it worked really well. I think it clicked with me when I realized that my role in combat isn't as the characters, but more akin to a football coach. Instead if controlling all their actions directly, I'm picking the plays ad adjusting the overall strategy. I loved it, but I could see how it might rub some people the wrong way.

It definitely has it's flaws, and I understand people not liking it, but the utter hatred and vitriol definitely bummed me out.

Also that battle theme is legit.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dasacant2

@bigwhiteyeti said:

@ervonymous said:

I thought the characters were worse than...Star Ocean 4 and that's saying something

Hey man... No. Not that.

Shame you couldn't get into it- hopefully the next one works for you. I really liked the combat system (but then again, I don't mind menus. I even enjoy turn-based combat when it's well done).

It's hard to chose who's worse: Vanille or Llymle they're both characters we are supposed to find cute and quirky but are really just annoying and insane.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asurastrike said:

Calling it a tutorial is at least a better way of saying it takes 20 hours before it gets decent.

bigwhiteyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@seveword said:

Yes, you are unique and special. Cherish this feeling. The only human being who shares this opinion is you, and no one exists to validate your beliefs (unless you aren't a human being).

Har har. Obviously I'm being hyperbolic. I just feel like 90% of the people I talk to say it's shit without having played it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@figurehead00: Yeah, the one thing i'll say for this game is that the songs are good. But My Hands grates on me like rotten cheese.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Yes. You are the only person on the planet.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:
    @video_game_king said:

@asurastrike said:

Calling it a tutorial is at least a better way of saying it takes 20 hours before it gets decent.

It doesn't. It follows the FF7 quality curve:

• The first few hours are terrible.
    • At some point a couple hours in, the game becomes decent, but not great. (For FF7, it was around the Train Graveyard; for 13, it was when everybody became l'Cie.)
    • Later on (but still early on), there's this one fucking awesome event where the game finally becomes great. (For FF7, it's the motorcycle mini-game; for 13, it's when you control a giant robot out of fucking nowhere.)

The only real difference (at least that I can remember) is that FF13 bounces up and down after that.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ervonymous said:

Hey man... No. Not that.

Ok, that was under the belt. I like turn based and real time combat but fusing the two into ATB never clicked with me, it does nothing you couldn't convey in a completely turn based system with no arbitrary action bars filling up.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Animasta

@animasta said:

@seveword said:

Har har. Obviously I'm being hyperbolic. I just feel like 90% of the people I talk to say it's shit without having played it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FF13-2 makes hope the coolest motherfucker around

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:
    @video_game_king said:

@asurastrike said:

But should a game take twenty hours to explain all it's mechanics and story let alone get good? No, because that's bad.

Yes many games do stretch out new gameplay features hell, Zelda technically does this all the time the difference is there's actual progression in the skills you learn on the way in FF13 it's negligible.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokaired said:

@alexw00d said:
    @video_game_king said:

@asurastrike said:

But should a game take twenty hours to explain all it's mechanics and story let alone get good? No, because that's bad.

Yes many games do stretch out new gameplay features hell, Zelda technically does this all the time the difference is there's actual progression in the skills you learn on the way in FF13 it's negligible.

What? You learn new "job" or shifts due out to the game how is this negligible. Many JRPGs are like that. Tales of Series for example does it as well.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Man, the start of FF7 is great. Blowing up the mako plant and crossdressing!

I liked FFXIII, though I played it long after it was released and my expectations were low. Battle system was fun, it had decent music and it looked great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.