Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Clearing up the battle system

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Well even though the trailer we saw a couple of days ago gave us some new info, we really couldn't make out much about the battle system, or at least I couldn't.

Now with the true HD versions (gt's definately is not a real HD version) on the big screen I could make out some details.  I downloaded both,  same trailer, just a different ending (the 360 just said "in production for the 360" by comparison- perhaps a hint that development has started?).   The graphics are so much better while watching it on the big screen.  You're really not able to notice so many details on the pc screen but I guess it should be noted, on my tv I can see the design in blood of the gear's logo...very detailed logo I must say, rotflmfao

Anyway, I guess I'll describe what I can tell of the system:
    - it is a atb system
    ------> however, the atb system is a new one  (well duh, haven't we heard this?)
    description: the bar is segmented into 3 sections.  each attack has a value placed onto it, 1, 2, or 3.  An attack of 2 value required 2 bars and as you'd logically think. 
    These attacks can be linked by essentially queuing the attacks.  As you'd image, it can only add up to 3.
    ---> granted, this is based off the demo.  It is obviously unknown if this bar can grow into more segments or not or if there's a zero value attack or more (if there's more segments available)

think that should clear some things up a bit.

Also, in case you were curious, the command menu looks very slick on the tv, very sleek indeed, but it still is remniniscent of the older bulkier menued FF titles with the lovable hand pointer.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hexpane

Stylish action gheyness mr0e li3k it M I RITE?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^yep.  I love gay video games. 

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hexpane

If they could take the characters from FF13 and put them in the gameplay and level design of FF12, then we'd have GOTY.  Unfortunately Vaan ruined what would have been a good game.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne
    Hexpane said:
    "If they could take the characters from FF13 and put them in the gameplay and level design of FF12, then we'd have GOTY.  Unfortunately Vaan ruined what would have been a good game."
    How weak-minded and pathetic. Are you really  such an unsure person that you cannot enjoy a game with feminine character?

If I had limited my gaming to titles whose character design appeal to me, man, how many awesome title I would have missed.

However, FF12 was bad in any case.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

You know something... I wish this were non-real-time, turn based action. I guess I just prefer it when I can sit there and be completely pissed because I know there's nothing I can do on the next turn except (deep CD-I Ganon voice) DIE.

Anyway, ignoring what I would prefer, the battle system looked interesting. I just hope it's not so frantic as they make it look in the trailers.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By atejas
    Meowayne said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "If they could take the characters from FF13 and put them in the gameplay and level design of FF12, then we'd have GOTY.  Unfortunately Vaan ruined what would have been a good game."
    How weak-minded and pathetic. Are you really  such an unsure person that you cannot enjoy a game with feminine character?

If I had limited my gaming to titles whose character design appeal to me, man, how many awesome title I would have missed.

"
    There's no point defending Vaan, he was a pathetic character.

Not all effeminate characters are necessarily bad, though. Look at Zidane or Paladin Cecil.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

Who said anything about that? Vaan was just a weak character, effeminate or not.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    atejas said:
    "Meowayne said:
    "Hexpane said:

"
    There's no point defending Vaan, he was a pathetic character.

Not all effeminate characters are necessarily bad, though. Look at Zidane or Paladin Cecil."
    yeah but theres a difference between Anime and effeminate japanese male.
    Zidane looked more anime, and so did paladin cecil, Vaan not so much
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By atejas
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    yeah but theres a difference between Anime and effeminate japanese male.
    Zidane looked more anime, and so did paladin cecil, Vaan not so much
    "
    Good point.
    As far as effeminate yet still respectable characters go....the only thing I can think of is Wander from SotC.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, one year I'd love it if Square-Enix did the character models in that years Madden.
    America would explode in either gay bashing rage or the explosions of latent homosexuals crashing out of the closet.

EDIT: It'd be kinda like this

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#12  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

And back on topic...

Nice work, Smug.  I was trying to figure out how that system worked when I saw the trailer.  A three tiered attack system with numbers adding up to three sounds kind of familiar, but I can't place the RPG off the top of my head.  I want to say Xenogears or Xenosaga, but I'm just not sure.  Anyways, it looks like a solid system, but I'm hoping the menu visuals are a little easier to read come release time.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hexpane
    Meowayne said:
    "Hexpane said:

"
    OMG ur sooo right hit me up on myspace so I can show you nekkid pics of my feetz!

why on earth would anyone want to play a game that appeals to them? That's crazy talk M U RITE?  Us t3h h4rdCoR3z plai gamez that do ARE NOT APPEALING!  That is the uber way to get ur game on , holla back!

And for the record you flaming troll, feminite characters do not bother me at all, I love Lara Croft and Jade from BGE, so IDK wtf kind of nonsense y ou are trying to spew here.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hexpane
    LordAndrew said:
    "Who said anything about that? Vaan was just a weak character, effeminate or not."
    This is the correct response.  Chrono isn't exactly Macho Man Randy Savage, and he is a fantastic character.  Vaan was just weak all the way around, from his Victoria Beckham haircut, to his horrid voice acting, to his pathetic "Oh noes, I WANNA BE A SKY PIRATE" storyline.. everything about his character was worthless.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By PureRok

Speaking of feminine characters and homoerotic... things. Here's an intro to an anime I've started watching recently. Yes, everyone in the opening is male. Everyone. Just so you know, the anime (so far) doesn't have anything out-right gay in it, just the characters come off as all slightly gay. One of them is even voiced by a female (and sounds female... and looks female).

That said, I did not like Vaan. I hated his personality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hexpane said:
    "LordAndrew said:
    "Who said anything about that? Vaan was just a weak character, effeminate or not."
    This is the correct response.  Chrono isn't exactly Macho Man Randy Savage, and he is a fantastic character.  Vaan was just weak all the way around, from his Victoria Beckham haircut, to his horrid voice acting, to his pathetic "Oh noes, I WANNA BE A SKY PIRATE" storyline.. everything about his character was worthless."
    Oh man, I'd play an RPG as Macho Man. Just imagine the dialogue tree

• Ooooooooh yeah!
    • Dig it!
    • Snap into a Slim Jim!

It'd be awesome
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    TeflonBilly said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "LordAndrew said: This is the correct response.  Chrono isn't exactly Macho Man Randy Savage, and he is a fantastic character.  Vaan was just weak all the way around, from his Victoria Beckham haircut, to his horrid voice acting, to his pathetic "Oh noes, I WANNA BE A SKY PIRATE" storyline.. everything about his character was worthless."
    Oh man, I'd play an RPG as Macho Man. Just imagine the dialogue tree

• Ooooooooh yeah!
    • Dig it!
    • Snap into a Slim Jim!

It'd be awesome"

I'd eat that shit up.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hexpane

I miss Elizabeth

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I seriously wish I could find a pair of sunglasses like that.  Classic.

Maybe have him as a hidden character along with Oliver Platt's character from Ready to Rumble.  Hey, they put the damn butts in the damn seats!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, Ready To Rumble, I still legit laugh when I think of David Arquette screaming "IT'S A FOUR POST MASSACRE!"
    That movie is so terrible, but the good kind of stupid terrible. The dvd commentary track is a treat

Poor Miss Elizabeth :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.