Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Does Final Fantasy XIII mar the great history of FF?

Logan_Aybara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Logan_Aybara

So I'm about 40 hours into FFXIII, towards the end of chapter 11, and I have to wonder, has Square ruined the series?  

The game is 100% linear, even though it supposedly "opens up" in chapter 11, I accidentally immediately followed the yellow arrow, and found myself trapped in yeat another corridor, leading me along a path exactly to where I was supposed to go next.  I find myself playing at this point just to finish, but I'm no longer enjoying myself, I just have a problem where I have to finish what I started.

I feel as if JRPG's have been declining for years, while WRPG's have continued to rise in quality.  This game just angers me on so many levels.

Thoughts?

Logan_Aybara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Logan_Aybara

So I'm about 40 hours into FFXIII, towards the end of chapter 11, and I have to wonder, has Square ruined the series?  

The game is 100% linear, even though it supposedly "opens up" in chapter 11, I accidentally immediately followed the yellow arrow, and found myself trapped in yeat another corridor, leading me along a path exactly to where I was supposed to go next.  I find myself playing at this point just to finish, but I'm no longer enjoying myself, I just have a problem where I have to finish what I started.

I feel as if JRPG's have been declining for years, while WRPG's have continued to rise in quality.  This game just angers me on so many levels.

Thoughts?

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Jost1

I like it. It's not GREAT though, and playing Persona 4 I realised just how awful the Final Fantasy storylines are

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

Having not played 13, I'm gonna say it was FF7 that marred what I thought of the FF name (actually it was 8 that made me quit, but 7 was the first of that style).

Also while I think certain elements of WRPGs have gotten better in the last decade, others have gotten much worse. Most feel so hollow nowadays and are only remotely similar to the classics (I see you're a fan of Planescape Torment, speaking of classics).

Then again maybe I'm just too old and my nostalgia is winning.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By bonbolapti

Well not every Final Fantasy is a winner. they tried something and it didn't really work (for me). Chapter 11 is the best part, that's pretty much it :P. but I am looking forward to agito XIII.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Jost1

The only FFs I LOVE are 6, 9 and 12

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ricetopher

This game has just shown what one of the biggest problems with JRPGs are: the audience. Theres a great divide between people who are willing to see the genre try different things, and the people who want it to remain the same.

FF13 is alright, it has it fair share of problems, but the narrow-minded JRPG fans can't deal with something that isn't like the PS1 JRPGs (and on the opposite spectrum their are people willing to defend this game to the death). The problem with a series that changes every iteration is that fans will always have a favorite, and since no game after that will be the same it will effect the players quality of the other games in the series, future and past.

I look forward to what Square will do with the series after FF14 Online.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By phantomzxro

I would say it was good but not great i would like to think every other ff had some who loved it. You will have people here say they loved 7, 8, 10 or 6, 9, 12. This game does some things really well the battle system was great and the game is pure eye candy.  I just can't help but feel a lot was cut out or just plain left out to focus on said battle system and graphics. Now it makes this game feel uncomplete and everyone will say "wait 20 hours in" then it will be awesome. So this may have been a set back for 13 i think with the  engine already done the next games in line will do much better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.