Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

I must be not getting this...

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Trodorne

Okay after sitting down playing for 10 hours, watching my friends complete the game. i am just not getting its appeal. for 10 hours i had to force myself to sit through this, and trying to figure out in the end how is this an RPG? 

ive spent decades playing games. FF 13 did not in anyway reach out to me OUTSIDE of the fact it had high def graphics. and maybe its come to be expected of the japanese, maybe this is the expectation or the standard which i should judge all their games. a game that forces you through the story and to me treats the player as a hindrance to the story itself DOES NOT make in anyway for good gameplay. yeah yeah i can go about this and be objective. this is not a review. 

So someone tell me how in hell is this an rpg? is this the standard in which i have to expect the japanese to make their games?

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#2  Edited By Jazz

If you've been playing games for 'decades' then you should know that not all Japanese developers are like Squeenix. If you can, and you actually want to play a decent RPG, play Tales of Vesperia or Resonance of Fate. Either way, I hope you got that little rant out of your system. FFXIII is a mediocre, if beautiful, JRPG..We know. Brad told us and most of us agreed.

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By eldiax
    @trodorne: It's a different, more linear kind of a JRPG. Deal with it.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Karkarov

Yes FFXIII is the very definition of mediocre rpg.  It it weren't for the graphics it wouldn't even be that, but then this is not news to Giant Bomb.  I would hesitate to recommend the two other games though.  Persona is the only JRPG series that continues to be quality and improve with each iteration lately.  At least that is how it seems to me.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ragdrazi

I find it amazing and heartening that you have to ask if this is the standard to which the Japanese make their games, because for a very very long time it was the standard. This linearity player as hindrance model is what JRPGs have been until very recently. And as much as apologists want to deny it, Japan is still grappling with how to best move on from the model. It's not a different more linear kind of JRPG. It is a JRPG, and recent games from Japan have been different in that they have been less linear.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Marcsman

The franchise is now lost to me. 60 hours I'll never get back.
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Trodorne
    @eldiax:  don't need too i don't own the game. which i pity people who do.

but this brings me to another question which this game and im guessing the genre and or the series itself will be. does this mean people want to be told and pushed through a game? like to me this does not feel like a game at all. by definition would this "game" not be called a button mashing movie?
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cincaid

I'm two achievements away from an S-Rank of that game, and I seriously can't bring myself to complete them.

I didn't hate the game, it's just what everyone else is saying...mediocre.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @trodorne: For the longest time they did. Back when Japanese culture was still new to Americans, and back when games, including RPGs, were still trying to find the best way to include story, the linear JRPG was seen as an incredibly immerseive experience. But the western RPG's with their massive personal customablity have taken the market (even though the western RPG is now nowhere near as customizable as it was before). Japan has only recently gotten the message to innovate. It took the center of the video game universe shifting from Tokyo to Seattle before they finally got that they needed to change.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#10  Edited By Jazz

How different is COD:BLOPS from FFXIII? You can get through the first mission without shooting a single bullet..it's all scripted, yet that has gotten rave reviews..much more so than FFXIII. Personally I think the problems with FFXIII are from Squeenix's desire to appeal to a Western audience as much as possible...Leona Lewis ffs. 
    I just don't understand people who want to 'tell their own story'. I can't stand Bethesda RPGs due to their lack of a strong linear narrative. To me a game is like a book..I'm there for the storyline above almost anything else, even if it's a throw away story like in Bayonetta. Sure, I wouldn't want to play  'a button mashing movie' that FFXIII almost is...but I'm quite happy with other examples of the genre such as the 'Tales' series.    
    Linearity is a good thing when it's handled correctly. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are highly linear..they just hide it well. 

As to button mashing movies...Mega CD games anyone?
    Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Andheez

Yeah, I kept expecting the game to get interesting and it never did, mediocre is WAY too kind.  Linear is almost too generous for this game, hallway running is closer.  The battle system IS somewhat interesting, but I found most battles to be extremely easy, or just 1 hit you are dead cheap ( a problem of a lot of RPG's).  Hadn't played FF in a long time, I will definitely back the Tales of Vesperia though, much better game.  Never played Persona, but from watching the QL here, it looks like more of the same to me.  I dunno, I have a hard time dealing with that much melodrama.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Catolf
    @Andheez said:
    " Yeah, I kept expecting the game to get interesting and it never did, mediocre is WAY too kind.  Linear is almost too generous for this game, hallway running is closer.  The battle system IS somewhat interesting, but I found most battles to be extremely easy, or just 1 hit you are dead cheap ( a problem of a lot of RPG's).  Hadn't played FF in a long time, I will definitely back the Tales of Vesperia though, much better game.  Never played Persona, but from watching the QL here, it looks like more of the same to me.  I dunno, I have a hard time dealing with that much melodrama. "
    You should try renting a SMT game before you made a judgement. The only time I had a one hit kill was when the doom counter ran out on me, and that was my fault for pissing around. It's Mediocre, it's not fantastic but it's far from broken.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.