Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Infinite ATB bar glitch?

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rinkalicous

I think I may have stumbled upon a glitch that gives you virtually unlimited ATB bar, though I'm not totally sure. 

It SEEMS like whenever I switch paradigms just as my controlled party member is doing their last attack in the chain, when the paradigm animation stops your ATB bar is full, allowing you to bust off a full bars worth of attacks instantly. And then of course, you can repeat at the end of that combo, and just keep attacking non-stop. Is this a glitch, a feature, or am I just imagining it? I can do it most consistently when I'm lighting when she has a 4-bar ATB guage. If I time it so that the paradigm switches when she's in mid backflip, it works every time- the enemy even takes damage from the 4th attack. This works best when you use the 'repeat' function- just make her repeat 4 attacks, so you don't waste time selecting them. Also I should note, it only works from the second paradigm switch onwards- when they use the shorter animation.

Anyway, I thought i'd tell y'all to see if there was some reasonable explanation for it. Otherwise, try it out for yourself. 

I play the xbox version if that changes anything.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Illmatic

I thought something like that might have happened to me during some of my battles, though I wasn't sure if it was part of the gameplay, a glitch, or if it just was filling up normally by the time my fourth animation finished and I had selected my next set of attacks.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By rinkalicous

I'm pretty sure it's not just it naturally filling up, because if you get the timing wrong the bar barely fills 2 slots when you return back to the gameplay.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

It was an intentional battle mechanic. Fans dubbed it ATB-Cancel.

Signpost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Signpost

I have noticed it isn't every time you switch Paradigm's but it seems to happen after you shift, wait a period of time (about the time of 3 ATB bars), and then Shift again it will be full.  I also noticed as you did that it seems to coincide with the short shifting animation (everyone changes at same time rather than 1 at a time).  It can definitely help in some situations but sometimes it isn't worth the constant switching. 

Also, if you change right at the start of battle it will fill your bars.  I like to switch to a Paradigm with Sazh as Synergist right at the start of battle so he can start hasting everyone asap.

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By SteveVice

It just naturally fills up, the paradigm shift doesn't pause the combat, you still get hit during the switch. so you're our ot control for a couple of seconds.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @SteveVice said:
    " It just naturally fills up, the paradigm shift doesn't pause the combat, you still get hit during the switch. so you're our ot control for a couple of seconds. "
    This is only during the first Paradigm Shift. If you look at the ATB bar when Lightning is on her fourth (or fifth depending on how far you're in) regular attack, she'll flip and shoot her gunblade; when you Paradigm Shift in the middle of this flip, you won't see the characters animate their class change and Lightning will land from her flip with a full ATB bar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.