Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

New Final Fantasy XIII Trailer Revealed!

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Manachild

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Like i said in the other thread quite average looking there are many rpgs out now that look just as good and many in the future too including square games other then this.
    And the ingame graphics look less then the CGI which is par in course for square and inclusion of CGi in that trailer just makes me think one thing game will be 70-80% cgi cutscenes and 20-30% gameplay which is par in course recently for square.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Manachild

Somebody removed the video link from the other thread. Thats why it wasnt there when i looked at it before.

Aslong as this is better than the last couple square rpg's from a story/gameplay standpoint i dont really mind about the graphics.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vidiot
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Like i said in the other thread quite average looking there are many rpgs out now that look just as good and many in the future too including square games other then this.
    And the ingame graphics look less then the CGI which is par in course for square and inclusion of CGi in that trailer just makes me think one thing game will be 70-80% cgi cutscenes and 20-30% gameplay which is par in course recently for square."
    What? Average? The trailer I saw was incredibly colorful and incredibly action oriented. A games engine will always look a bit poorer than pre-rendered CG, especially with the likes of Square. For its in-game engine it looks surprisingly well done and on par with most current gen games.

More importantly: This trailer finally showed gameplay. Which I have to admit, looks incredibly interesting. Monsters and characters attacking at the same time? Jumping?! How does this game play?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

Looks unbelievable. The in game graphics don't really differ much from the cutscenes.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb

Did someone just say the graphics were bad? I thought the in-game bits looked amazing.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    vidiot said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Like i said in the other thread quite average looking there are many rpgs out now that look just as good and many in the future too including square games other then this.
    And the ingame graphics look less then the CGI which is par in course for square and inclusion of CGi in that trailer just makes me think one thing game will be 70-80% cgi cutscenes and 20-30% gameplay which is par in course recently for square."
    What? Average? The trailer I saw was incredibly colorful and incredibly action oriented. A games engine will always look a bit poorer than pre-rendered CG, especially with the likes of Square. For its in-game engine it looks surprisingly well done and on par with most current gen games.

More importantly: This trailer finally showed gameplay. Which I have to admit, looks incredibly interesting. Monsters and characters attacking at the same time? Jumping?! How does this game play?"
    on par with most current gen games.

SEE:average
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "vidiot said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:

More importantly: This trailer finally showed gameplay. Which I have to admit, looks incredibly interesting. Monsters and characters attacking at the same time? Jumping?! How does this game play?"
    on pay with most current gen games.

SEE:average"
    On par doesn't mean average, because par is pretty high right now, but I think that game looked more impressive then a lot of current games graphically.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Manachild

To be honest when i first started watching the trailer i thought it looked meh for the first few seconds but it rapidly got alot better graphically and content wise.

The combat looks interesting, almost like they have taken FF12's combat and made it alot flashier and fast looking.
    Xero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xero

looks great

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew
    LiquidPrince said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "vidiot said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:

on pay with most current gen games.

SEE:average"
    On par doesn't mean average, because par is pretty high right now, but I think that game looked more impressive then a lot of current games graphically."
    Par is average by definition. If "par" is high, "average" is high.
    Avatar image for theuncannygiraffe
    theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm stoked for this, but then I have been for the past year! lol. Wish it would hurry up and get a release date already....

Da_Muffin_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Da_Muffin_Man
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    Do you come here just to troll or are you really that stupid?
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#14  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I think both the CG and the in-game graphics look fantastic.  Square's work with CG has always been jaw-dropping, and frankly, I don't mind a whole lot of it in a great RPG.  The in-game graphics definitely look to be polished and pretty darned shiny!

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Whisperkill

Yeah, I still think VS looks better... this doesnt catch my intrest

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By drac96

I agree that VS looks better, but I would like to see some gameplay of it before I make that Judgement. This trailer does look amazing, and I think the gameplay looks fairly well done

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By PureRok

Definitely a day one purchase for both systems.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

""on a level; in the same condition, circumstances, position, rank, etc.; .""

""approximating the statistical norm or average or expected value; "the average income in New England is below that of the nation"; "of average ...""

looks to me that on par means average.

I love that the people detracting 1 says did you even watch the trailer yep thats a great come back there you said nothing to prove me wrong you just questioned the validity of my watching of the video, and the other insults me.

The graphics look no where near on the level of the CGI and by adding CGi into the trailer they are telling me that just like ff78910x2 12 the game will be 70-80% cgi and 20-30% gameplay.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By KamasamaK
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "...
    looks to me that on par means average."
    LordAndrew already made that point about a day ago. It was a poor argument, but it doesn't detract from the fact that no one here has expressed agreement with you. That includes me, by the way. The game definitely looks better than average.
    tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tokyochicken

Oh god it looks good, Please god let it be good.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hexpane

Since when did FF13 become Killzone Helghast meets DMC combat rip off assiness?  WTF? I thought FFs were RPGs not "stylish action emo bullshit juggling games"

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By suneku

This trailer makes me actually want to drop 70 dollars for Advent Children blu ray just for the FFXIII demo.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hexpane
    suneku said:
    "This trailer makes me actually want to drop 70 dollars for Advent Children blu ray just for the FFXIII demo."
    Have you seen Advent Children? I watched some of it running at some genki mall shop, it's fucking awful and I am a big FF7/Tactics/FFIV/FFV fan not a FF hater.  But good lord, the fight scenes involve stuff like Cloud getting thrown 90 feet in the air from another character and doing DMC gayness attacks on some giant robot... worst JPN anime i've seen in ages
    stan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stan

Advent Children was designed really well, but it's still flawed, to the extent of being terrible. As much as I'd love to try out this demo, I'm not foolish enough to spend money on -just- a demo, principles.

If anyone's interested a Full HD trailer has been released on EU PSN Store. It's about 300mb+ better than any version uploaded thus far.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PureRok
    Hexpane said:
    "suneku said:
    "This trailer makes me actually want to drop 70 dollars for Advent Children blu ray just for the FFXIII demo."
    Have you seen Advent Children? I watched some of it running at some genki mall shop, it's fucking awful and I am a big FF7/Tactics/FFIV/FFV fan not a FF hater.  But good lord, the fight scenes involve stuff like Cloud getting thrown 90 feet in the air from another character and doing DMC gayness attacks on some giant robot... worst JPN anime i've seen in ages"
    I don't ever remember seeing a robot in that movie. This is pretty ironic. I really don't like FFVII, but I like the movie.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By suneku
    Hexpane said:
    "suneku said:
    Have you seen Advent Children? I watched some of it running at some genki mall shop, it's fucking awful and I am a big FF7/Tactics/FFIV/FFV fan not a FF hater.  But good lord, the fight scenes involve stuff like Cloud getting thrown 90 feet in the air from another character and doing DMC gayness attacks on some giant robot... worst JPN anime i've seen in ages"
    You mean Bahamut? and yes I've seen it. It's whatevers to me, don't hate it, don't love it. But it is blu ray, and with exclusive blu ray scenes. And of course the main reason I want it is for the FFXIII demo.
    Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By auspiciousqueue

The game looks amazing, but it just isn't what I personally want to buy from a FF title.  

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hexpane

ROFL yeah I guess it was a "Bahamut" not a robot... my bad? I'm not really sure wtf a bahamut is to be quite frank, I just remember what I saw on the HD screen at the genki shop, and it was fucking LAME beyond lame.  Unless you like gay "stylish action" juggling moves for RPG characters?

theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WilliamRLBaker said:

The graphics look no where near on the level of the CGI and by adding CGi into the trailer they are telling me that just like ff78910x2 12 the game will be 70-80% cgi and 20-30% gameplay."
    You're not a FF fan, and that's cool - everyone is entitled to their own valid opinion, but those percentages seem wrong to me. Where did you get them, cos I don't think any FF game I've ever played has been 80% cutscenes (which is what I assume you mean by CGI, because otherwise what are we talking? Everything in the game?) I mean, even FFVII, which I'll admit has fairly substantial cut scenes, only has about 3 hours of cut scenes in total, if that, and yet I racked up about 150 hours of playtime on it. But then, I do love to play them games! :) 

But you know, I think the graphics look cool. That's my opinion. It doesn't prove you wrong, but then that's the thing about aesthetics - each to their own. I am still mega-psyched! I'm looking forward to spending my 40 quid on it, and I don't care who knows it! (My old housemates spent more than that on clothes and make up on a daily basis - gaming is a wortheir pursuit, methinks! ) :D

Meh, I kinda hate myself right now for troll feeding, but what can you do? I'm bored. lol

I wish 2010 wasn't so far away! (Either that, or I lived in Japan. But then I'd need to learn Japanese, and while that' be cool, I'd take forever....)

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PureRok
    Hexpane said:
    "ROFL yeah I guess it was a "Bahamut" not a robot... my bad? I'm not really sure wtf a bahamut is to be quite frank, I just remember what I saw on the HD screen at the genki shop, and it was fucking LAME beyond lame.  Unless you like gay "stylish action" juggling moves for RPG characters?"
    You say you liked FF7/FFIV/FFV and you don't know who Bahamut is?

theuncannygiraffe said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:

The graphics look no where near on the level of the CGI and by adding CGi into the trailer they are telling me that just like ff78910x2 12 the game will be 70-80% cgi and 20-30% gameplay."
    You're not a FF fan, and that's cool - everyone is entitled to their own valid opinion, but those percentages seem wrong to me. Where did you get them, cos I don't think any FF game I've ever played has been 80% cutscenes (which is what I assume you mean by CGI, because otherwise what are we talking? Everything in the game?) I mean, even FFVII, which I'll admit has fairly substantial cut scenes, only has about 3 hours of cut scenes in total, if that, and yet I racked up about 150 hours of playtime on it. But then, I do love to play them games! :) 

But you know, I think the graphics look cool. That's my opinion. It doesn't prove you wrong, but then that's the thing about aesthetics - each to their own. I am still mega-psyched! I'm looking forward to spending my 40 quid on it, and I don't care who knows it! (My old housemates spent more than that on clothes and make up on a daily basis - gaming is a wortheir pursuit, methinks! ) :D

Meh, I kinda hate myself right now for troll feeding, but what can you do? I'm bored. lol

I wish 2010 wasn't so far away! (Either that, or I lived in Japan. But then I'd need to learn Japanese, and while that' be cool, I'd take forever....)

"
    From the FMV I've ripped from the discs (all of it) there is roughly 51 minutes of cutscenes in FF7.

FFV = 4:46 cutscenes (M:SS)
    FFVI = 8:51 cutscenes (M:SS)
    FFVII = 0:51 cutscenes (H:MM)
    FFVIII =  0:29 cutscenes (H:MM)
    FFIX = 0:46 cutscenes (H:MM)

All five games equal about 2.9 Gigabytes of space.

"Size on Disk: 2.90 GB (3,118,804,992 bytes)"

So yea... not that many cutscenes, really.

Edit: These times are the total amount of time that is Full Motion Video (the CG cutscenes everyone was referring to). This counts all little cutscenes (like the FMV for going up an elevator or going on the tram to that circus place in FFVII).
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By KamasamaK
    PureRok said:
    "From the FMV I've ripped from the discs (all of it) there is roughly 51 minutes of cutscenes in FF7.
    ..."
    Yea, that sounds right. I wonder how much FMV they've bothered to put into this new one since they previously claimed that the Crystal Tools engine was capable of providing near-pre-rendered CGI quality in real-time.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Patchinko
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    Except that the last FF major game (12) had probably 100 hours of gameplay in it.

The in-game graphics look great. Nothing less than what I expected.

That said, I'm not sure about how the gameplay looks as far as fun-factor. It's flashy, but that doesn't mean it'll be particularly fun.

I'm probably in the minority of people who found Crisis Core's gameplay pretty boring, but I'm afraid this game looks like it has that style of system in it.

Not that I'm surprised, given the team that's putting FF13 together, but I hope it has a focus on strategy and a variety of gameplay in combat rather than what amounts to button-mashing the attack button ala FFX-2 and Crisis Core.

Time will tell. Square-Enix generally doesn't botch FF games, in my opinion. Even the "bad" ones are better than 90% of the games out there.
    theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PureRok said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "ROFL yeah I guess it was a "Bahamut" not a robot... my bad? I'm not really sure wtf a bahamut is to be quite frank, I just remember what I saw on the HD screen at the genki shop, and it was fucking LAME beyond lame.  Unless you like gay "stylish action" juggling moves for RPG characters?"
    You say you liked FF7/FFIV/FFV and you don't know who Bahamut is?

theuncannygiraffe said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:

"
    From the FMV I've ripped from the discs (all of it) there is roughly 51 minutes of cutscenes in FF7.

Edit: These times are the total amount of time that is Full Motion Video (the CG cutscenes everyone was referring to). This counts all little cutscenes (like the FMV for going up an elevator or going on the tram to that circus place in FFVII)."
    Thankee- i did always wonder. lol
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By vidiot
    PureRok said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:

"

Edit: These times are the total amount of time that is Full Motion Video (the CG cutscenes everyone was referring to). This counts all little cutscenes (like the FMV for going up an elevator or going on the tram to that circus place in FFVII)."
    Going above and beyond the call of duty to point out the utter obvious. I would have interpenetrated such a juvenile opinion and claim, clearly from someone who has no idea what he is talking about, and just ignored it. But you sir are an example of: uber-awesomeness. I applaud you profusely. *claps*
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    WilliamRLBaker said:

No Caption Provided

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gunswordfist
    SathingtonWaltz said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:

No Caption Provided

"
    HEHE!!! Ain't that the truth.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ I never felt like the cutscenes in final fantasy reallly were to much, not too little either.
    There's never enough cutscenes in a jrpg, lulz

As for the graphics, they're really good.  The difference between in engine cutscenes and gameplay doesn't exist and there's little between the cgi and it (although definately some- it's a slight boost)

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39  Edited By drac96

"ROFL yeah I guess it was a "Bahamut" not a robot... my bad? I'm not really sure wtf a bahamut is to be quite frank"

Bahamut is a summon that looks like a dragon and it has been in almost every single final fantasy game
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By CharleyTony

the only thing I have to say here is that the trailer is available on xbox live (HD) and I thought it was underwelming. Im a HUGE FF fan and this looks like a graphical evolution rather than a revolution. They clearly made the combat system a litlle more action oriented to please people who avoid RPGs.

This trailer looks like something you would expect from Lost Odyssey, a game that I loved but made by a brand new company... not Square-Enix !!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.