Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Question about sparkstrike/aquastrike etc

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rinkalicous

Does anyone get what the deal is with these spells? The in-game abilities section say they use the strength stat, but lighting does a good 200-300 more damage with her regular attack then she does with these. Are they just not meant to be as good? How do they compare to the spells if cast by someone who had equal stats in strength and magic? I've tried researching this online, but no one seems to be able to come to a consensus.

If they actually are based on strength, I'm going to boost up this weapon that increases strength by ridiculous amounts, otherwise I guess I'll need to look into getting her something more balanced. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Huey2k2

From what I can tell they exist so that if you build your characters with high strength they can still be decent ravagers when you need them to be. Ravagers and commandos have entirely different roles in combat and sometimes you need a character who you have built mostly around strength to be a ravager to get the stagger bar up.

Also I find that ravager damage in general is lower than commando damage.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By luce

I don't know for sure but i use magic attacks like those with Lightning because they're good at staggering the enemy. Then i switch to Commando.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Huey2k2
    @luce said:
    " I don't know for sure but i use magic attacks like those with Lightning because they're good at staggering the enemy. Then i switch to Commando. "

It's not that magic attacks specifically are good at staggering enemies, it's that ravagers are good at staggering enemies.... and ravagers just happen to be magic focused.

Generally if I am trying to stagger an enemy I go Com/Rav/Rav, once it is staggered I try to switch over to a Com/Com/Rav paradigm (if I have two characters that make good coms) because I find commandos generally do more damage than ravagers.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Vorbis

Max the Lionheart>Ultima weapon, it's a good balance with good speed and a great bonus.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Huey2k2 said:
    " From what I can tell they exist so that if you build your characters with high strength they can still be decent ravagers when you need them to be. "
    Pretty much, my Lightning is mostly a com so focuses on str gear but does go rav a lot for staggering purposes. the elemental strikes all do more damage than actual magic (unless enemies have a physical resistance), granted they don't do as much as a pure magic user (hope as a rav for example) but they still do plenty.
    Signpost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Signpost
    @Huey2k2 said:
    "It's not that magic attacks specifically are good at staggering enemies, it's that ravagers are good at staggering enemies.... and ravagers just happen to be magic focused.  Generally if I am trying to stagger an enemy I go Com/Rav/Rav, once it is staggered I try to switch over to a Com/Com/Rav paradigm (if I have two characters that make good coms) because I find commandos generally do more damage than ravagers. "
    If it is a long stagger countdown it can also be good to stay Com/Rav/Rav for the first little bit because Ravagers will increase the Chain % faster than Commando and the higher the chain bonus during stagger the greater your damage.  So basically, stay Com/Rav/Rav or go Tri-Disaster and crank up the chain % a little more and then switch to Multiple Commando for major damage.
    Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Huey2k2
    @Signpost said:
    " @Huey2k2 said:
    "It's not that magic attacks specifically are good at staggering enemies, it's that ravagers are good at staggering enemies.... and ravagers just happen to be magic focused.  Generally if I am trying to stagger an enemy I go Com/Rav/Rav, once it is staggered I try to switch over to a Com/Com/Rav paradigm (if I have two characters that make good coms) because I find commandos generally do more damage than ravagers. "
    If it is a long stagger countdown it can also be good to stay Com/Rav/Rav for the first little bit because Ravagers will increase the Chain % faster than Commando and the higher the chain bonus during stagger the greater your damage.  So basically, stay Com/Rav/Rav or go Tri-Disaster and crank up the chain % a little more and then switch to Multiple Commando for major damage. "

I didn't realise that having multiple Ravs during a stagger did that, good to know!
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Signpost: This man speaks the truth. At one point in chapter 8 or 9 (fuck if I remember, some chapter pre 11 with 3 members and big high hp mobs) I got a 999% stagger and my coms were hitting for around 14k each with and then scourge'd it for something like 60k.... fuck it was so awesome.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Turambar
    @Rinkalicous:  Depending on the Role level, Commandos get an innate damage bonus (from 110% at lv1 to 150% at lv5, and gives everyone in the party up to a 115% damage bonus.)  Ravagers' bonus is the chain gauge.  That's why your elemental strikes are dealing less damage than the commando's attack.)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah, Commandos are always going to outdamage a Ravager.

Also, somehow I have a perfectly even Lightning.  232 strength, 232 magic.  (At chapter 8)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.