Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Quick Final Fantasy XIII Thoughts

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

A short jumble of thoughts from my time playing Final Fantasy XIII thus far.

1. I really don't miss towns that much.  The fact that the game is constantly moving and giving the characters no time to rest at inns and engage in serial home invasion only helps the story, really.
    2. Once the game gets up to speed a couple of hours in, the combat system proves to be awesome.  It's a variant on the Active Time Battle, but the flow of battle is engaging.
    3. The Crystarium is an excellent improvement on the Sphere Grid.
    4. Dude, the Chocobo theme has lyrics this time around.  Also, chocobos are still awesome.
    5. Am I the only person that actually likes all six party members?
    6. This game is very, very pretty.
    7. The Eidolon battles are ridiculous.
    8. I have to agree with Lightning.  Not a good birthday.
    9. I can't remember the last time a Final Fantasy game gave me this much of a challenge in run-of-the-mill battles against field enemies.
    10. This game is unbelievably awesome and I can't wait to play more.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hailinel

A short jumble of thoughts from my time playing Final Fantasy XIII thus far.

1. I really don't miss towns that much.  The fact that the game is constantly moving and giving the characters no time to rest at inns and engage in serial home invasion only helps the story, really.
    2. Once the game gets up to speed a couple of hours in, the combat system proves to be awesome.  It's a variant on the Active Time Battle, but the flow of battle is engaging.
    4. Dude, the Chocobo theme has lyrics this time around.  Also, chocobos are still awesome.
    9. I can't remember the last time a Final Fantasy game gave me this much of a challenge in run-of-the-mill battles against field enemies.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It's nice to see someone who's actually enjoying it, especially in the early parts of the game.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

What a surprise. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " It's nice to see someone who's actually enjoying it, especially in the early parts of the game. "
    I'm used to RPGs starting out slow.  And frankly, I think it helps the game in the long run because there is a lot to absorb.  It could have been introduced a bit quicker, but at the same time the game's pacing builds up such momentum that in retrospect the way that the game ramps up is done fairly well.

@MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " What a surprise.  "

If you're gonna troll, you could probably stand to be more creative than that.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Hailinel said:

"engage in serial home invasion  "

haha so true.

I'll wait for the GB review. My friend likes it but there are a lot of people hating.
    kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By kuwabaratheman

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, and you're not alone. I also find all six party members to be awesome. Sazh is my favorite, but I really like all of them and I think that this might be my favorite cast in a Final Fantasy game. The combat is definitely pretty awesome.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Addfwyn

Fellow Persona 4 avatar speaks the truth. 

But yeah, overall glad to hear you like it, always nice to hear positive opinions when things are awash with negativity and gripes.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By demontium
    @Hailinel said:
    " A short jumble of thoughts from my time playing Final Fantasy XIII thus far.

"
    We agree yet again. I am on ch 8.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Cornman89

I really don't know where you're coming from with the Crystarium.

Glad you're digging the game though.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By immike

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I won't like the game, but I'm glad to finally hear some good things about it.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tiwi

SRSLY HOW CAN YOU LIKE HOPE! GAH! it's making my brain hurt, him trying to use logic, and failing horribly. though the rest of the cast seems fine. 

with the exception of vanille's "skip to my lou" animation, the game seems absolutely fine. LOVING IT, eventhough hope is still an emo bitch...
    kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By kuwabaratheman
    @tiwi said:
    " SRSLY HOW CAN YOU LIKE HOPE! GAH! it's making my brain hurt, him trying to use logic, and failing horribly. though the rest of the cast seems fine.  with the exception of vanille's "skip to my lou" animation, the game seems absolutely fine. LOVING IT, eventhough hope is still an emo bitch... "
    I don't think it's fair to call Hope "emo". Emo characters are those who whine and moan for no good reason (or blow things way out of proportion). Hope has pretty good justifications for the way he acts, and I think he goes through a lot of growth. He was my least favorite character early on, but he does mature a lot.
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tiwi
    @KuwabaraTheMan:
    that doesn't change the fact that he tries to put a knife in snows back... I really want you to consider WHY he does it. he watched snow, hanging form a "cliff" with his mother in his hand. she falls and then HE FALLS...
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Addfwyn
    @tiwi:  
    Because (and if you haven't made it through chapter 7 or 8 or so, don't read this)

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tiwi
    @Addfwyn:
    yes i have, but I do not recognice that as a viable reason. many peoples parent die everyday, in car crashes and such, that doesn't mean they try to stab the other driver in the back...
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Addfwyn
    @tiwi: He didn't though, he nursed the rage and may have convinced himself he wanted to, but he didn't.  I imagine a lot of those people who lose parents in car crashes would have trouble forgiving the people in the other car immediately, maybe over time.  Pretty similar idea.
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tiwi
    @Addfwyn:
    no he didn't. he tried to stab him, AND THEN A FUCKING AIRSHIP ATTACKED AND BLEW HIM OVER THE FENCE. 
    SRY, CAPS HAS LOCKED ITSELF
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cornman89
    @Addfwyn: I'm of two minds where Hope is concerned.

On one hand, his character is fairly consistent with the fact that he's a regular-ass teenager thrust into a situation far beyond him. On the other, his plausibility doesn't necessarily make him any more endearing.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By c1337us

I haven't played it yet but I bought it the other day. I am looking forward to getting stuck into it soon.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By luce

The story is nothing special imo (hate the afterschool special style story telling) but I like Lightning and Fang...and the battle system is the best in the series imo

Thats enough for me i guess

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By XenoNick

Im currently in chapter 10 and im really enjoying it so far. Loving the battle system and I'd say Lightning and Fang are my fav characters

BomberDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By BomberDude

Wow pretty much my thoughts exactly XD I'm just starting chapter 10 and really enjoying it

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chirag4
    @Hailinel said:
    " A short jumble of thoughts from my time playing Final Fantasy XIII thus far.

"
    This person speaks the truth.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By gla55jAw

I'm on chapter 10 and I'm having a lot of fun with it and enjoying the game in general.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scullinator

Im about 5 hours in to the 360 version.  Game looks amazing.  I feel like im watching a Final Fantasy movie like Advent Children, only I get to control the fights and walk around a bit.  Im usually a cut scene skipper but the story and characters so far hold my attention and I have not skipped anything yet.  At first I was a little unhappy with the combat, thought the auto battle made things too easy... then I started getting killed a lot and realize I there is more to it.  I couldnt get to sleep last night , doing paradigm shifts in my head.  

This is my first time really playing through a FF game, so far im really enjoying it.  I just finished Mass Effect 2 and I think im going to enjoy this just as much.  Its a little less in the action but Im digging the story and characters of FF much more.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @tiwi said:
    " @KuwabaraTheMan: that doesn't change the fact that he tries to put a knife in snows back... I really want you to consider WHY he does it. he watched snow, hanging form a "cliff" with his mother in his hand. she falls and then HE FALLS... "
    Whether or not Snow fell was inconsequential.  Hope saw his mother fall to her death, and then Snow survived, still with that stupid grin on his face and calling himself 'hero'.  That's a bitter pill to swallow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.