Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

SE explains why there are no towns in FFXIII

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Patchinko

Via 1up.

Apparently the reason SE is reporting that FFXIII feels more linear and lacks town is due to technical reasons. At least that's the excuse they're throwing around. 

In an interview with Ultimania, Kitase and Toriyama claim that rendering towns in high definition is difficult.

I think this may also explain some other questionable factors in FFXIII, such as the choice to shift into a battle scene as opposed to fighting mobs in the open world ala FFXII. 

Personally, it sounds a bit like a cop-out to me. In my mind, I know they didn't want to take an extra year to get towns in the game and make everything look as good as it does now in FFXIII (keep in mind, this is arguably the best looking game to date), but I also feel like if they had taken an extra year, they could have gone that extra distance.  

I do think they underestimated how big of a part of the FF experience towns and exploration really is, though, and sacrificed it in order to get a product out faster. Which is not a good thing.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

"Arguably the best looking game to date"? 

You need to play more games.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By PufferFiz
    IE lazy devs making a hover hyped game.
    Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Tuggah

There was a thread about how the developers were lazy for this.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski
    alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By alsnuts2
    @nanikore said:
    " "Arguably the best looking game to date"?  You need to play more games. "
    This
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

If this was Squaresoft we'd have some towns, bro.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By nanikore
    @Atomasist said:
    " @nanikore said:
    Have you seen the hair? What game has better hair, none. "
    Have you seen the ground textures? 
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Patchinko

Meant to post this as a blog. 

Feel free to delete this thread (or not, whatever).

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Patchinko
    @nanikore said:
    " @Atomasist said:
    " @nanikore said:
    Have you seen the ground textures?  "
    Does it have crappy ground textures on the 360 version or something? Haven't seen any bad textures at all in my play-through. 

The music is great, too. But even just one town would have been nice!
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Jeust

For once i'm at SE side on this one.  If they were after including cities in FFXIII, they'd probably be bigger than the ones on FFXII, and with high definition, and space constrictions it would be a real challenge to do it.  

I love Lost Odyssey and also Infinite Undiscovery, but their cities are rather small, Fallout 3 presents big out settings of decrepit cities, but there are a lot of reused landscape, and Mass Effect, though it presents rich and detailed cities, each scenario is small.  

To really create a whole big and lively city without almost to none loading screens, like in FFXII, in high definition - probably SE's idea -  is a very bold and difficult one to do, even nowadays.    

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Patchinko
    @Jeust said:

"  For once i'm at SE side on this one.  If they were after including cities in FFXIII, they'd probably be bigger than the ones on FFXII, and with high definition, and space constrictions it would be a real challenge to do it.   I love Lost Odyssey and also Infinite Undiscovery, but their cities are rather small, Fallout 3 presents big out settings of decrepit cities, but there are a lot of reused landscape, and Mass Effect, though it presents rich and detailed cities, each scenario is small.   To really create a whole big and lively city without almost to none loading screens, like in FFXII, in high definition - probably SE's idea -  is a very bold and difficult one to do, even nowadays.     "

Yeah, I buy the excuse they're using as their reason not to do it. As I posted in my last blog post on this game, they're clearly driving decisions based on money, and delaying a year or however long it would have taken to put in a city or towns would have cost them money. 

Still, towns are kind of a staple in FF games. To not have a single real town is kind of like not having magic or chocobos or airships... maybe even worse than that.

So while I understand their decision, I'm not a big fan of it and I hope to see them man up and put some towns in FFXV when it finally comes along. :)

(Oh, and thanks for an on-topic post.)
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust
    @Patchinko:  

No problem :) 

I agree, but i think this is Square-Enix problem, as they feel the pressure of the jrpg fans and their own to deliver the best rpg experience possible, and they consequently aim to the stars. I believe they tried to make the most of it, but were short on time and money. 

The FFXV, according to SE, as they declared that they would start outsourcing their games, can be very different, and the first FF not made in Japan. So let's wait and see...
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel

Meh, Nomura said Versus XIII will be like the ones pre-2000s and it's confirmed to have the Airship with a full globe flying like in FF1-FF9.  I'm started to hate FF13 and the steps back it took, 2011 (2012 NA/EU) can't get here quick enough for Nomura's and the older team's real FF game.  I want it now.   x.x

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187
    @Atomasist said:
    " @nanikore said:
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts has amazing fur.  Way more amazing than FFXIII's lame hair. 

Personally, I still don't care about this game.
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By makari
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Meh, Nomura said Versus XIII will be like the ones pre-2000s and it's confirmed to have the Airship with a full globe flying like in FF9.  I'm started to hate FF13 and the steps back it took, 2011 can't get here quick enough for Nomura's and the older team's real FF game.  I want it now.   x.x "
    No Caption Provided
    Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cramsy

Won't be picking this one up then. That's super dissapointing

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @makari said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " Meh, Nomura said Versus XIII will be like the ones pre-2000s and it's confirmed to have the Airship with a full globe flying like in FF9.  I'm started to hate FF13 and the steps back it took, 2011 can't get here quick enough for Nomura's and the older team's real FF game.  I want it now.   x.x "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Dude, the game is over 2 months old and everyone is waiting for Agito XIII to come out this year for PSP and then Versus XIII in mid/late 2011.  FF13 is old and almost everyone is close to or got a plat trophy.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Patchinko
    @KaosAngel said:

" Meh, Nomura said Versus XIII will be like the ones pre-2000s and it's confirmed to have the Airship with a full globe flying like in FF1-FF9.  I'm started to hate FF13 and the steps back it took, 2011 (2012 NA/EU) can't get here quick enough for Nomura's and the older team's real FF game.  I want it now.   x.x "

The "older team"? Versus XIII is being done by the KH team, not by team 1 (which is actually the "older team"). 

If it's more like FFs of yore and not like KH, I'll be surprised to say the least.  I hope it is, but with Nomura at the helm and given his past work, I'm not enthused about it yet. 

@Cramsy said:

" Won't be picking this one up then. That's super dissapointing "

Eh, I still give it a positive review. It's not the best FF game. Not even close. But it is still a good game, especially if you've been a long-time fan (it still has a lot of those old features... it is still a FF, even lacking some of what defined the series).
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By KingBroly
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Atomasist said:
    " @nanikore said:
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts has amazing fur.  Way more amazing than FFXIII's lame hair.  Personally, I still don't care about this game. "
    Yeah...no.  Hair > Fur.  But, 7 days after FFXIII comes out, FFXIII will be outdated in the visuals department.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KaosAngel
    @KingBroly said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " @Atomasist said:
    " @nanikore said:
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts has amazing fur.  Way more amazing than FFXIII's lame hair.  Personally, I still don't care about this game. "
    Yeah...no.  Hair > Fur.  But, 7 days after FFXIII comes out, FFXIII will be outdated in the visuals department. "
    Uh, Heavy Rain and Mass Effect 2 already do a good job of that.  Plus you got Crysis.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Meowayne

SE explains why there are no towns in FFXIII

Q:

Why are there no towns in XIII?

A:

It's difficult. 

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @KaosAngel said:
    " and it's confirmed to have the Airship with a full globe flying like in FF1-FF9."
    That sounds awful, I mean I am not as shallow to say LAWLZ ima not buy dis game cuz 1 minor thing, but man that sucks.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By tranquilchaos

Final Fantasy died at 10 for me. This looks like the least interesting of them all.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Axersia
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " and it's confirmed to have the Airship with a full globe flying like in FF1-FF9."
    That sounds awful, I mean I am not as shallow to say LAWLZ ima not buy dis game cuz 1 minor thing, but man that sucks. "
    Have you ever played Dragon Quest VIII? Being able to fly around the world in an airship (or in DQ8's case, on a giant bird) does not mean towns need to be the same size as the characters. The entire world is actually to-scale. Unfortunately though, it's not seamless, and when you go into flying mode you enter an entirely different zone. When you land it just calculates your landing point on the map with some slight loading.

I don't see how you could be opposed to that style of world map, though... I mean, if a game takes place on a single world, why wouldn't you wanna be able to fly through it?

Somehow I doubt they're gonna take that route with Versus XIII though as it's being developed by the Kingdom Hearts team (with assistance of the Advent Children team) and will be an over-the-top hack 'n' slash game. Games like that just lend themselves better to smaller areas and a stage-based world structure. If they are gonna take that route though, they're probably gonna have to take a lot of cues from inFamous/Prototype due to its modern-day skyscraper-rich setting.

Yeah, very unlikely considering this game has been in development for years now, but it would make for a pretty sweet-ass game, don't ya think?
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Axersia: I bought DQVIII over a year ago but haven't actually got around to playing it yet unfortunately because of so much other stuff that has came out since then (and playing WoW again for a while didn't help either). I was just glad when RPGs trashed the whole walking/flying around on the world map. Sure it was cool back in FF1 getting that boat and exploring the ocean for the first time but in reality it is pretty much all filler and is just a longer way to get from point a to point b. FFX got it right imo, give me a menu with area names listed and just teleport to one. I don't want to take the few minutes it generally took to fly from one place to another. I can't see how people actually like all the classic world map type stuff anymore. 
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#29  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @Patchinko said:
    In an interview with Ultimania, Kitase and Toriyama claim that rendering towns in high definition is difficult.
    This is a joke. How passionless at your job do you have to be to whine about something being too difficult to do? Especially when its something that is a fundamental core of the experience?

"Uh, yeah, for GTA4, we're not going to let you get out of the car because that would too difficult"
    tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tomte

well, FF XIII is the best looking game this far, at least on the PS3, it got better graphic then Uncharted 2. However i dont know about Heavy Rain and GoW 3 yet.

Personally im kinda happy that theres no towns in this game, it was really annoying, esp. in FF XII, when you had to run between the different stores to buy things, also, if you want exploration you got all of Grand Pulse to explore, we saw a small part of that world in the question thingie posted yesterday...

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Shadow

Towns suck

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Axersia said:
    " Yeah, very unlikely considering this game has been in development for years now, but it would make for a pretty sweet-ass game, don't ya think? "
    Are you drunk?  Nomura confirmed it in the Famitsu interviews a couple weeks ago.  Airships are in the game with the old classic style, it even surprised him that they got it in there.  It's been confirmed over and over again that Versus XIII will be more inline with the older FFs before the merger. 
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Patchinko

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and wait for more than just Nomura's word that Versus is going to be something other than the hack-n-slash style-before-substance type of experience we got in KH and Advent Children.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Patchinko said:
    " Via 1up. Apparently the reason SE is reporting that FFXIII feels more linear and lacks town is due to technical reasons. At least that's the excuse they're throwing around.   In an interview with Ultimania, Kitase and Toriyama claim that rendering towns in high definition is difficult.  I think this may also explain some other questionable factors in FFXIII, such as the choice to shift into a battle scene as opposed to fighting mobs in the open world ala FFXII.   Personally, it sounds a bit like a cop-out to me. In my mind, I know they didn't want to take an extra year to get towns in the game and make everything look as good as it does now in FFXIII (keep in mind, this is arguably the best looking game to date), but I also feel like if they had taken an extra year, they could have gone that extra distance.    I do think they underestimated how big of a part of the FF experience towns and exploration really is, though, and sacrificed it in order to get a product out faster. Which is not a good thing. "
    They're just flat-down lazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.