Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

Over the course of the current time in my game:

I have literally been going straight for fucking hours and hours on end.  The battle system is weak, and not as hyped as I thought it was.  The real challenge from the game comes from the ATB speed and you can beat that by simply lowering it.  Sure the game looks good but holy shit...I am glad I had the openness of Dragon Age.  

Not going to lie, Dragon Age is a far better game and I can't see myself doing this shit for a second run.  

I take back what I said in my original thread and I'm sorry if I came off as a dick.

Final Fantasy has this weird affect on me and after the honeymoon period, the truth gets out there.  

That's all, and again I'm sorry.  

Oh, I swear to god if another JRPG has this same cliched shit...for "characters" in 2010, I will punch a fucking weeabo.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

BUT YOU CAN SUMMON ODIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched a couple hours of streamed gameplay. It was composed of two 20 minute long battles, a crazy anime fuckfest of a cut scene, and the dumbest looking leveling menu I have ever seen in my life.  Oh and there was a blackman with a chicken living in his fro...needless to say I had no fucking idea what was going on.

Conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Conker
@KaosAngel:
Why don't you just nuke it and then celebrate?
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By luce

gimme more reasons why you're disappointed! NOW

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

Battle system is the only real thing I had an interest in even playing the game for, so if that doesnt seem interesting right off the bat when I eventually gamefly this, Im definitely not completing it. 99% of JRPGs have sucha s imilar same story and characters that you can peg before you even talk to them. The only games that really dont are ones I consider my favorites, and FF games have never really been my thing in the first place.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nail1080
@KaosAngel said:

" Gentlemen (and Ladies),  Over the course of the current time in my game:  I have literally been going straight for fucking hours and hours on end.  The battle system is weak, and not as hyped as I thought it was.  The real challenge from the game comes from the ATB speed and you can beat that by simply lowering it.  Sure the game looks good but holy shit...I am glad I had the openness of Dragon Age.    Not going to lie, Dragon Age is a far better game and I can't see myself doing this shit for a second run.    I take back what I said in my original thread and I'm sorry if I came off as a dick.  Final Fantasy has this weird affect on me and after the honeymoon period, the truth gets out there.    That's all, and again I'm sorry.    Oh, I swear to god if another JRPG has this same cliched shit...for "characters" in 2010, I will punch a fucking weeabo. "

well after the last thread you just made....well this just proves the point I made in that thread. What are you trying to achieve by posting all this bullshit?
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar
Here's an image of the first few hours worth of areas.  It's kind of hilarious, really.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By demontium
@KaosAngel: First you tell us to put it as GotY.... Now you say its a dissapointment.
FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FartyMcNarly

A final fantasy being a disappointment? I am shocked! I am going to invent a new color that will describe how shocked I am; then I shall color myself with my newly invented color so I can properly display how shocked I am that a final fantasy is an under whelming disappointment.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By JJOR64
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@KaosAngel:
Well I would venture to guess, having not played it myself, that if you are indeed going straight the whole time, it was a game design decision to secure great visuals in exchange for diversity in scope. But I would like to mention having only played FF1 and FF7 and Tactics, diversity isn't really what Final Fantasy does. But the cynic in me believes, its linear because story dlc is on the way. Shame you're not enjoying your game tho.
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By cap123

haha biggest u-turn ever. you got me all excited with your overexcitement and now this :(

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SBYM
@Turambar: Wow.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By EpicSteve

Well DragonAge and FFXIII are radically different games. Also, you'd probably enjoy Final Fantasy IF YOU PLAYED THE ENGLISH VERSION. 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Fallen189

You are the fucking worst.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man.  Did your caps-lock key break?  

@Turambar

said:

" Here's an image of the first few hours worth of areas.  It's kind of hilarious, really. "

That's really funny.  I mean FF games are often like that but that seems a) far worse than usual and b) unacceptable to me with where we are at with games these days.  I wasn't interested anyways, I guess this just helps me remember to not pick this game up and waste money like I did with the last FF game when I talked myself into it near release.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai
@Turambar: Holy crap. It looks like a tape worm. 
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
@EpicSteve: Nah, my Japanese is pretty good.  I speak close to fluent and my reading is decent.  Trust me, when I first got here...my host family was mad strict on me learning 日本語.
m1k3ines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By m1k3ines

im still getting it. as long as its true that its 50 to 60 hours long then im fine no matter how linear it is. Im hoping that Versus XIII isn't going to be as linear though.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Luke

I'm convinced that KaosAngel is bipolar and needs to get on meds stats!  (or get on more meds than what he is already taking :p ) 

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hatking

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" Oh man.  Did your caps-lock key break?  

@Turambar

said:

" Here's an image of the first few hours worth of areas.  It's kind of hilarious, really. "

That's really funny.  I mean FF games are often like that but that seems a) far worse than usual and b) unacceptable to me with where we are at with games these days.  I wasn't interested anyways, I guess this just helps me remember to not pick this game up and waste money like I did with the last FF game when I talked myself into it near release. "
FFX was more linear then FF13...that image of FF13 is only the first little bit, it opens up a lot more later on. Pretty much every FF game is linear, they just give you the illusion that it's not.
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Driadon
@HatKing: HAHAHA

That's too bad. I'm not much for the Final Fantasy series as a whole and this really puts final nail in the coffin.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson

:D 
kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By kraznor

Good to know, was starting to suspect it may not be all that. Oh, and I can't help but imagine Joaquin Phoenix being way into RPGs now, so thanks for that.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel

It's NOT a bad game, but I dunno...does anyone else get this feeling of intense "happiness" and then you find out the game isn't that good.  :(

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@Hitchenson said:
"
"

Wow. I woulda bought it from you >_>
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You're pathetic.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KaosAngel
@TheMustacheHero said:
" You're pathetic. "
Oh come on, it's a solid game and easily in my top 4 games thus far for 2009.  I just expected more.  >.>
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Half-Life 2 is completely linear yet it is one of the best games ever made. I don't understand this complaint at all. 

EDIT: If the battle system is anything like FF6 or Chrono Trigger I'll have no problem.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By AndrewB

Aren't most of the modern Final Fantasy games pretty well linear? Some of their more open areas give the illusion of branching off, but you're pretty much always going in a straight line, from what I've played. Granted, I haven't played much. I never finished X, and played only a couple hours of XII.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SBYM
@Dan_CiTi said:
" Half-Life 2 is completely linear yet it is one of the best game ever made. I don't understand this complaint at all. "
One linear game being good doesn't mean another one will be. I haven't played FF13 yet so I don't know if it's any good, but that's not much of an argument.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaosAngel
@AndrewB said:
" Aren't most of the modern Final Fantasy games pretty well linear? Some of their more open areas give the illusion of branching off, but you're pretty much always going in a straight line, from what I've played. Granted, I haven't played much. I never finished X, and played only a couple hours of XII. "
Yo, if you have troubles with Final Fantasy XII, you should get Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System.  It's a much more polished game and they changed EVERYTHING, it's my favorite Final Fantasy. 
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dan_CiTi
@SBYM: Mother 3, probably the best JRPG of the decade is completely linear. Persona 4? Completely linear. All FF13 does is cut out the fluff. God forbid there are less random corners of the map with nothing in them but potions and random monsters.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60
@AndrewB said:
" Aren't most of the modern Final Fantasy games pretty well linear? Some of their more open areas give the illusion of branching off, but you're pretty much always going in a straight line, from what I've played. Granted, I haven't played much. I never finished X, and played only a couple hours of XII. "
Yes most of them are linear and some of them are linear but give the illusion that it isn't.

And since when is a game being linear a bad thing?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Jeust
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Afroman269

Wasn't this the same person that came in his pants over this game in another thread he posted?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KaosAngel
@Afroman269 said:
" Wasn't this the same person that came in his pants over this game in another thread he posted? "
Nope, different guy.
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dan_CiTi
@CL60: I agree completely. FF13 is just honest.
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" Wasn't this the same person that came in his pants over this game in another thread he posted? "
Nope, different guy. "
haha this thread has been pretty funny I have to say.  You're running with it in your defense.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By AndrewB
@CL60 said:
" @AndrewB said:
Yes most of them are linear and some of them are linear but give the illusion that it isn't.  And since when is a game being linear a bad thing? "
And it's funny that I never heard anyone complaining about Final Fantasy X. It's sort of the same argument against Zelda games; like, you just *now* noticed that every Zelda game uses roughly the same plot, items, and structure?
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Afroman269
@KaosAngel said:
" @Afroman269 said:
Nope, different guy. "
Nope, I think there is something familiar about your name.
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Afroman269 said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" @Afroman269 said:
Nope, different guy. "
Nope, I think there is something familiar about your name. "
He was joking, it was him.  He acknowledges this in the initial post.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KaosAngel

Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII,  Final Fantasy IX, and Final Fantasy XI weren't that linear.  There was freedom in the game with a real worldmap and whatnot.  It's a shame most of the idiots who made the older games are with Mist Walker and making not-so-good-games.  :(

Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, and Final Fantasy XIII suffer from it more than the other ones.  :(

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Afroman269
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
" @Afroman269 said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" @Afroman269 said:
Nope, different guy. "
Nope, I think there is something familiar about your name. "
He was joking, it was him.  He acknowledges this in the initial post. "
And I was being sarcastic, of course I know.
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dan_CiTi
@KaosAngel said:
" Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII,  Final Fantasy IX, and Final Fantasy XI weren't that linear.  There was freedom in the game with a real worldmap and whatnot.  It's a shame most of the idiots who made the older games are with Mist Walker and making not-so-good-games.  :(  Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, and Final Fantasy XIII suffer from it more than the other ones.  :( "
A world map means nothing if you only can go to one place to advance the plot.
Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Alphiehyr
@KaosAngel said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" You're pathetic. "
Oh come on, it's a solid game and easily in my top 4 games thus far for 2009.  I just expected more.  >.> "
Well, you see... there's two sides to a coin or to simply put it, decisions and consequences.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KaosAngel
@Dan_CiTi said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII,  Final Fantasy IX, and Final Fantasy XI weren't that linear.  There was freedom in the game with a real worldmap and whatnot.  It's a shame most of the idiots who made the older games are with Mist Walker and making not-so-good-games.  :(  Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, and Final Fantasy XIII suffer from it more than the other ones.  :( "
A world map means nothing if you only can go to one place to advance the plot. "
If you go by that logic then Dragon Age was the same.  To advance the plot you could only go to certain places.  But the older FFs had a lot more subquests and whatnot similar to Dragon Age.
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
I think Mist Walker's Lost Odyssey was the most interesting and compelling JRPG I played since Final Fantasy 7.   If I could still enjoy those types of games I would have finished and loved it, but the story kept me going for a lot longer than most JRPGS nowadays do.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#50  Edited By Symphony

Not normally one to post such pictures, but it sums up my sentiments of this post so perfectly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.