Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Uhhh....wow this game just got....hard?....*probably spoilers

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

I just got to the giant battle ship thing boss fight in chapter 7 (the one outside Hope's house), and this game just got really really hard. Well, im not even sure if hard is the right word....more like tedious i suppose.  

Up until now, I was sure I had the combat system mastered, but now I'm wondering if theres something im missing. All this talk about complexity seemed really odd when the strrategy was apparent right off the bat to me; apply buffs, attack with comm/rav combo, heal as needed.  

Back to the boss battle. I didnt really have any problem staying alive, it's just that the damage I was inflicting was abysmal. At this rate the fight feels like it could take no less than 40 min to finish. So basically what im wondering is, is there some key element of the battle system I'm missing, or can I just look forward to several long bossfights from here on out? The combat system suffers in my opinion when a fight lasts longer than 3 minutes; it's strength is in fast-paced action. As this is the longest encounter so far, I feel like i'm playng it wrong or something.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I honestly never even used buffs for the entire game, I'm only getting into them now at endgame. For that boss I just use Rav Rav Com and built up a chain, I think.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho

Of course the damage you're inflicting is bad....I'm pretty sure this is the fight where you have to destroy various pieces of the ship to do damage to the main hull.  You have multiple targets, man.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

I did it last night I was surp[rised at how easy it was as it looked really menacing... I killed the  gun turrets first, the side bits next and  by the time I got around to the middle it was like 75% dead
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By veektarius

Previous poster is correct, you do damage to the ship by blowing up the turrets.   It also took me about five minutes of screwing around to figure it out.   Don't know why.

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
    @Kombat:
    ah didnt realize.  
    but on a side note: whats the point of libra? I use it on every enemy and it always says the exact same thing, "use stock commands to build up chain" or something
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @xyzygy said:
    " I honestly never even used buffs for the entire game, I'm only getting into them now at endgame. For that boss I just use Rav Rav Com and built up a chain, I think. "
    *nod* I just started using buffs and debuffs often at the end of chapter 11 myself. Like xyz I just used rav/rav/com and healed when needed for this particular boss. Pretty easy actually.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " I honestly never even used buffs for the entire game, I'm only getting into them now at endgame. For that boss I just use Rav Rav Com and built up a chain, I think. "
    *nod* I just started using buffs and debuffs often at the end of chapter 11 myself. Like xyz I just used rav/rav/com and healed when needed for this particular boss. Pretty easy actually. "
    I found buffs and debuffs really useful in some of the earlier boss fights, particularly for the boss in the middle of the Ark.  It was the only way I could figure out how to survive his super-attack in the final phases of the fight.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @21stCenturyJesus said:
    " @Kombat: ah didnt realize.  but on a side note: whats the point of libra? I use it on every enemy and it always says the exact same thing, "use stock commands to build up chain" or something "
    Libra reveals status effect immunities, status effect susceptibilities, and elemental weaknesses.  You hit R1 to see the info.  The best reason to use it is that the AI won't take advantage of said weakness and immunities unless they know what they are.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Hailinel: Yeah, I never said they weren't useful just that I didn't use them myself. I played a few hours of my 360 copy last night and found a lot of stuff to be more manageable if I took the time to buff and debuff... Still though, never really used them on my other file.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.