Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

When Did it "Click" for you? *possible spoilers*

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Moridin

Fifteen-ish hours in, and the battle system just now clicked for me.

Learning how to use paradigms in order to manipulate the stagger bar has made combat insanely fun now. I am now calling myself a friggin' idiot for not getting this sooner, as some of the earlier parts would've gone a lot smoother with this knowledge. I guess I had to break myself from the oldschool Final Fantasy mantra of "find out X's weakness, and spam X until it dies. Heal as necessary." That doesn't fly here if you want combat to be swift, and come out of it with a good rating.  

Well, I'm a tard - so you don't need to tell me! Haha. So when did it "click" for you?

Now the spoilery bits. (Spoilers up to and including Chapter 5.)

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Addfwyn

Battle system, my first time through the game, probably clicked after that first boss fight near the end of Chapter 2, where you have to rapidly switch paradigms around to both stagger him and keep yourself alive with Medic.  The rest just seemed to layer on that concept.   

Story-wise, I liked it from chapter 3 or so, but I fell in love with it at Chapter 7 and 8.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By MildMolasses

The first time you use the paradigm shift, I lost the fight. I think I'm on chapter 5, and the system is working for me. I would still really prefer to have full control over all the characters as I don't feel all that involved in the combat, but I do get the system that exists
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Lambert

25 hours in and nothing...

This game is so shit. Game designers need to look at FF13 as a great example of how not to make games.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Getz

I had that same "clicking" experience with the battle system, though I can't place when it happened exactly. I was yawning through the opening parts of the game, just like everyone else and then suddenly I was having a blast. The combat moves so much more swiftly and with a rhythm not found in many RPGs, it's actually FUN instead of just being a way to level up your characters. Now, if only the leveling up system within the classes was more free-form...

Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Blitzer

I'm in chapter 4 right now. Things are starting to get difficult now. I had a few retries before now. But most fights now are taking way longer than the par time.

I don't understand what makes the chain bar drop slower. Sometimes it's fine and i can get up to Stagger easily. Other times I just can't keep it up. Any help guys?

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Lambert:  
    Seriously, I don't get it.  You obviously hate the game with a empassioned fervor, why continue to post in the forum AND continue to play a game in a genre you obviously hate?  I don't go on the ME or DA forums and troll there. 
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ricetopher

Battle system "clicked" by the end of chapter 3, though I was still learning more and improving throughout the next few chapters. Story-wise, while not to say it wasn't good before, chapter 7 was the moment where the story really hit the ground running for me.

XanaGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By XanaGear

Well for me it "clicked" where you get the paradigms and the story clicked for me as soon as the game opened with the absolutely gorgeous cinematic(lightning is a badass). I'm on chapter 11 now and it's reallly starting to be amazing, the quests as generic as they are is really a lot of fun. Grinding and getting experience to try to max out all of my characters is so much fun to me even though i loved how the story progressed chapters 1-10 this is where it officially "clicked" for me i think.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cornman89

Story clicked at Nautilus park, but it's an on-and-off kinda thing.

Paradigm system clicked when Snow and Hope team up.

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shinri
    @Addfwyn said:
    "Story-wise, I liked it from chapter 3 or so, but I fell in love with it at Chapter 7 and 8. "

This, basically.
    Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Moridin
    @Blitzer said:

" I'm in chapter 4 right now. Things are starting to get difficult now. I had a few retries before now. But most fights now are taking way longer than the par time.  I don't understand what makes the chain bar drop slower. Sometimes it's fine and i can get up to Stagger easily. Other times I just can't keep it up. Any help guys? "

Commandos will make the chain bar drop slower.  Also, use Libra on every new enemy you encounter, as finding their weaknesses and hitting them with that makes the chain gauge spike higher.

What I tend to do now, I have two characters in my party (avoiding spoilers). 

- Start with Commando / Ravager and build the gauge a bit 
    - Switch back to Commando / Ravager if the gauge starts dropping faster to re-slow it down 
    - Switch back and forth between Com/Rav and Rav/Rav as needed. 
    - Switch to Ravager / Ravager and stagger 
    - Switch to Commando / Ravager for damage while staggered. 

Throw in the obvious Medic paradigms in there, and the buffing / debuffing with a Synergist or Saboteur.

The whole chain gauge bar is what I meant when I say it "clicked" for me. Haha. I knew how to switch Paradigms swiftly and whatnot, but realizing how to manipulate that chain bar makes things so much funner.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chokobo
    A short while after Paradigm Shifts were introduced.  Hours 2 and 3 were brutally boring though.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Moridin:  
    It's not quite necessary to use Libra every new fight, especially if you want to conserve TP for summons.  After killing the enemy 2-3 times, it fills in all the info just like if you used libra on them a couple times.  I tend to only ever Libra bosses.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @MildMolasses said:
    " The first time you use the paradigm shift, I lost the fight. "
    Me too, that is where it clicked with me. After losing that fight because I didn't switch to heal fast enough I was like "ohhhhh everything makes sense now". And since then it has just been getting more and more complex, love it. I love constantly switching between the class combos to do some attacks and then switching to another. So much to keep track of at any given time if you want that 5 star rating at the end of a fight.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Turambar

Combat wise, it was the first post-paradigm shift boss fight.  The fight felt like a giant exclamation mark demanding I learn to start shifting builds, and Crystal Rain made that point painfully (literally) clear.

Story wise, I've liked the plot to it all along, but the end of Nautilus was the moment.  Sazh and his motivations are the greatest things ever.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Turambar said:
    " Sazh and his motivations are the greatest things ever. "
    I fully agree. 

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Turambar

On a side note, Eidolons are seriously far more fun than they have the right to be.  They look awesome, can't be spammed and thus feel like dramatic turn-the-tide style events, and, no longer being just glorified AOE spells, are incredibly fun to use.

Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blitzer
    @Moridin said:
    " @Blitzer said:

" I'm in chapter 4 right now. Things are starting to get difficult now. I had a few retries before now. But most fights now are taking way longer than the par time.  I don't understand what makes the chain bar drop slower. Sometimes it's fine and i can get up to Stagger easily. Other times I just can't keep it up. Any help guys? "

Commandos will make the chain bar drop slower.  Also, use Libra on every new enemy you encounter, as finding their weaknesses and hitting them with that makes the chain gauge spike higher. What I tend to do now, I have two characters in my party (avoiding spoilers).   - Start with Commando / Ravager and build the gauge a bit  - Switch back to Commando / Ravager if the gauge starts dropping faster to re-slow it down  - Switch back and forth between Com/Rav and Rav/Rav as needed.  - Switch to Ravager / Ravager and stagger  - Switch to Commando / Ravager for damage while staggered.   Throw in the obvious Medic paradigms in there, and the buffing / debuffing with a Synergist or Saboteur. The whole chain gauge bar is what I meant when I say it "clicked" for me. Haha. I knew how to switch Paradigms swiftly and whatnot, but realizing how to manipulate that chain bar makes things so much funner. "
    Ok that is what I thought. I'm at a point where I have a group with no Commando though. Sometimes the chain gauge will slow down, then it speeds up. Is there anything besides a Commando that will cause it to drop slower? A buff from a Syn or Sabo maybe?
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VisariLoyalist

once I decided not to buy it

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By gla55jAw

I've been enjoying the battle system through the first 2 disks, but when it really started to shine for me (it had already been clicking, I like it and get it), was during Chapter 6 or 7 when Snow and Hope were fighting together against the huge enemy motorcycle's who used the "Gatling gun" attack. When you saw that attack charging up and you have to immediately change to a Paradigm with Sentinel and Provoke and Guard as fast as you could so the attack wouldn't kill you or Hope. Those battle's definitely felt awesome and strategic.

periscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By periscope

I thought it had clicked in Nautllus Park, that's  when the story started getting really interesting (around the 17 hour mark?),   But,  I just got to Fifth Ark and now I'm starting to have doubts again.  The constant battles make me feel exhausted after a while :P  I really want to like the game, but it doesn't look like it's happening...

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Jost1

I started loving it the first time I had three party members and started juggling the paradigms. Fucking sweet.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Jost1

Also that scene where Snow rides the Shiva-cycle in Chapter 7 was a "hell yes" moment

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wchigo
    @Blitzer said:
    " @Moridin said:
    " @Blitzer said:

Commandos will make the chain bar drop slower.  Also, use Libra on every new enemy you encounter, as finding their weaknesses and hitting them with that makes the chain gauge spike higher. What I tend to do now, I have two characters in my party (avoiding spoilers).   - Start with Commando / Ravager and build the gauge a bit  - Switch back to Commando / Ravager if the gauge starts dropping faster to re-slow it down  - Switch back and forth between Com/Rav and Rav/Rav as needed.  - Switch to Ravager / Ravager and stagger  - Switch to Commando / Ravager for damage while staggered.   Throw in the obvious Medic paradigms in there, and the buffing / debuffing with a Synergist or Saboteur. The whole chain gauge bar is what I meant when I say it "clicked" for me. Haha. I knew how to switch Paradigms swiftly and whatnot, but realizing how to manipulate that chain bar makes things so much funner. "
    Ok that is what I thought. I'm at a point where I have a group with no Commando though. Sometimes the chain gauge will slow down, then it speeds up. Is there anything besides a Commando that will cause it to drop slower? A buff from a Syn or Sabo maybe? "
    A debuff from a Saboteur has the effect of making the chain gauge go up (not quite as much as a Ravager exploiting an elemental weakness), and causing it to drop slower just as you surmised. I've only just figured that out in chapter 11 so during that sequence with Sazh and Vanille that you're at, I found that I just had to pound stuff to death with my spells and I always got 2-3 stars on those fights.
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By oraknabo

I've only just gotten this right, but I always start out the fight with a Saboteur for the first couple of attacks, then try to hit with as many people on Ravager or Commando as possible to get a stagger. I keep ready to switch to a medic if necessary and only use a Synergist if there's a lull in the fight where I think it'll help. After stagger, a constant barrage of Ravager attcks takes the enemy out pretty quickly, especially if the debuff is still in effect.  

I tend to end 90% of my fights with 5 stars doing this. It may change as I start running into more difficult enemies though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

For me, I didn't feel like the game was even a game until you got to gain experience and level up.

After that, I struggled a bit and wasn't having much fun until I hit the Garpa Whitewood with Lightning and Hope.  For some reason it was there when the real tactics of paradigm shifting every turn and why hit me.  Those Vile Peaks were effing brutal though.  I don't know what they were thinking giving you Vanille and Sazh with no commando role.

Ender445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ender445

The game clicks around chapter 11, but it was still incredibly enjoyable up until that point. 

But really, seeing Gran Pulse (it's not a fucking spoiler, it's on the back of the goddamn case) for the first time was pretty mind-blowing.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Meowayne

20 hours in, hasn't clicked for me yet. The battle system is shallow but fun (most of the time) the locations are very pretty and the story/acting is comparably tolerable. As of now (chapter 7), I'd give it a 6.5/10. Not bad, but not good either, and made frustrating by the wasted potential. 

When any given scene revolves around or even includes Vanille, this quickly drops to 3.5/10. Vanille is insulting.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By taccyp

Once I got to pallumpollum(or however the hell you spell it), I started to have fun.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scullinator

Im 20 hrs in and I just got to chapter 10 or so.  Not sure, just got the ability to choose your battle team. 

How am I doing on time?  I have had a few battles that took me a few tries to get past , and I am fighting everything and every opportunity.
    Lolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lolo
    @Blitzer said: The Sabo's Deshell causes the spells to drop the gauge MUCH slower than normal.  If you don't have a Commando, start every fight by Deshelling the enemies.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By raviolisumo

As soon as it let me use the Crystarium.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#34  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Wes899 said:
    " As soon as it let me use the Crystarium. "
    Pretty much.  I didn't get into the story much until Gran Pulse though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.