why do people hate Final Fantasy 13?

• 76 results
#51 Posted by Smallerz (131 posts) -

Probably because it had a barren, lifeless world with bland characters and a watered-down battle system. The story was absolutely atrocious as well. Compare it to a modern RPG like Dragon Quest IX and you'll see just how mediocre and shallow XIII is.

#52 Posted by Tesla (2148 posts) -

The characters, dialogue, and anything else related to the story are laughably bad.  No world map, no NPC's, no exploration.  It is basically run straight down a corridor, watch a cutscene, and fight a few times.  Repeat those three steps in different intervals until you've beaten the game. 

It is a terribly flawed game that I am slogging my way through only because of the music, graphics, and a slight sense of nostalgic duty to beat all of the proper FF releases.  I paid about 20 bucks for the game, so I'm satisfied.  The series has evolved in the wrong way though, there is no denying it.

#53 Posted by bacongames (3986 posts) -

Because it's Final Fantasy?  I never like the series for the very reason that it always felt like it wasn't a modern game and I was never around during the "releveant years" to have gotten into it.  They put out a Final Fantasy game that is every bit as good and bad as the stereotype of the series has become.  Except that they stretched it out and everyone can see the nooks and crannies.  As for me?  It's just not my type of game.

I think the one objective criticism to take away is that due to its pacing issues and character inconsistencies it overstayed its welcome for a lot of people.  Therefore you have some people who really love it and some people who really hate for what it does, stands for, and what it doesn't do.

#54 Edited by phantomzxro (1613 posts) -

I don't hate it but it was such a disappointment because it could be so much more. Say what you want about any Final Fantasy game before 13 but none was as  linear as 13. Not just in a "look i'm just moving forward way". There was not any places to just stop and look around. there was no other quest but the stones you find which did not work for me because you still had to hike to the quest and fight  monsters along the way just to get to your quest then the quest tell you to go this way and re fight every monster you just killed to find your target.  upgrading weapons was just a chore and a mess in its own right, so getting the best weapons in the game were not even fun.  

The game just miss the boat for me in what makes an rpg fun besides the battle system, which could use a few fixs too by doing away with the auto battle button and making sure the stagger system is different when you fight weaker mobs because who want to be super high level and still spend 10 mins to kill mobs you starting fighting at the start of the game. But yeah all the extra stuff that makes you spend 100 hours playing these games just was not there. They tried to throw something together but it did not work so maybe they can get it right with 13-2.
#55 Posted by Enigma777 (6285 posts) -

I think it's more like severe, crushing disappointment rather than hate. 

My probelms were the terrible pacing and lack of varriety. It was run forward, fight monster, run forward, fight monster run forward, keep running, cutscene, fight boss, repeat.

#56 Posted by Alphiehyr (1178 posts) -
@stoodspoon said:
" I mean no one complained about FF10 being linear. so why are people complaining about FF13 being linear? Besides it no disaster like FF14. and it has the best combat system in any recent JRPG. "
@KaosAngel said:
" Coming from Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System...you'd figure Square learned how to make a modernized JRPG.  They didn't.  Nomura's game is the one you want, not this one. "
His basically saying the people that made Final Fantasy XIII are stupid idiots and you should only get FF Versus 13.
#57 Posted by ESREVER (2908 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I dunno, but it really isn't that bad. It's quite good. "
My thoughts exactly. I just started it last night, and I'm really digging it. The first hour was pretty much press X to win (Ps3), but once the paradigm system is introduced, it starts to get more interesting. 
And Oh my Gawd those cutscenes are straight up gorgeous! 

I still don't know how I feel about Vanille's character though. I want to like her, but she sounds so weird!
#58 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
" @stoodspoon said:
" I mean no one complained about FF10 being linear. so why are people complaining about FF13 being linear? Besides it no disaster like FF14. and it has the best combat system in any recent JRPG. "
Even though you've been on a thread-making-tirade the last couple days, I actually agree with you. Haven't played the game yet, but I think the same thing. The way people describe 13, is exactly what 10 was like. Except the combat. Maybe that's the deal breaker. I'll find out when I bother to open the game. "
That about sums up these stupid ass threads.
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
#59 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4311 posts) -

final fantasy versus xiii.  nuff said

#60 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@Tarsier said:
" because its bad and JRPGs need to evolve. and they havent. and thats bad. "
They need to evolve into shooters with giant hitboxes. You know, innovation. Heretic used to be a shooter with RPG elements, and now, 16 years later, its on the cutting edge of innovative RPG.
I kid, I kid.
#61 Posted by ThanatosXRS (75 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Coming from Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System...you'd figure Square learned how to make a modernized JRPG.  They didn't.  Nomura's game is the one you want, not this one. "
12 was pure crap
#62 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

Decent fighting engine though, very tactical. Maybe ppl hated the characters or thought it was much too linear with no towns and stuff.

#63 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@ThanatosXRS said:
" @KaosAngel said:
12 was pure crap "
It requires finesse and depth and "true" FF fans clearly weren't ready for that. Still, Dragon Age has a poor man's Gambit system, and maybe they'll figure it out over at Bioware while SE continues trying to appease people who want to play different renditions of FF7 over and over. Maybe do it underwater next time, guys. Innovation.
#64 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -

Well, as somebody who hates JRPGs passionately: I like FFXIII while it was straight linear. Yeah it was kilometers up its own ass, but I was able to deal with that. The combat system felt like it was tearing back the curtain and straight up saying "this is how RPGs work and everybody frigging knows it."

The biggest problem that I had with it (aside from some god awful sound design) was when it opened up. They had some good (well, maybe good is stretching it) momentum going and then BOOM Gran Pulse, big open absurd world, wasting time, level grinding, argh.

So I hate FFXIII because it couldn't decide what it wanted to be.

#65 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

All games are super rudimentary when you break them down into binaries. I wouldn't call a TPS innovative for literally being wackamole, tearing back the curtain doesn't make the game better. A big part of what makes big budget games work is you're doing very little but you feel like you're doing a lot.

#66 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -
@ryanwho: But I liked it that way, because by removing all of the chaff they freed you up to focus more on the actual strategy of the game.
#67 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

I kinda thought FF12 did that and FF13 kinda failed to really do that. I have no problem removing the common sense shit from the equation and building a more tactical layer above it, I just didn't think FF13 did that as well as 12, at all.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
#68 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2052 posts) -
XIII is okay, but the main problem behind it is that the characters are all idiots. Like srsly.  

Lightning is the epitome of the most confusing archetype: the completely and utterly oblivious "leader". She's supposed to be a character that you want to use, and the first few hours make her out to be a cunt that is willing to kill her sister for the "good" of Cocoon. Then arbitrarily making her flip to a pseudo-mentally handicapped rebel. Wow, good job with that literary genius Square, now can we have actually half decent characters? 

Hope is a fucking disaster from the get-go. He's even more entirely unaware of the situation than Lightning. Ugh, every scene with him before like Ch. 7 is a train-wreck. 
#69 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

Considering how many times they've recycled FF4's story you think they'd have it down pat by now.

#70 Edited by Burns098356GX (1368 posts) -

The characters were crap, all of them either boring, too cliched, or just annoying as shit (Snow, Vanille, Hope). I thought Lightning was going to be good, but turned out really bland.
The universe was just odd, it was difficult to understand what the hell was going on. I thought I was on Pulse after that first encounter with that Fal'ci thing in the first level, then got confused when I actually made it to Pulse.  The setting in general was just poorly executed. 
The battle system seemed ok, but got old quick. Start battle, scan, press X, change class, press X. I dont like it just picking what I should do. I can appreciate them trying something new, but I dont ever want to use that battle system again.

My main reasons why I didnt like 13 were that the characters sucked, like all of them. The plot sucked, and was twice as long as it needed to be. 13's universe was just poorly presented to the player. I could stand the battle system, but when you throw in the other problems with character design, setting and plot, it just made for a really un-enjoyable experience.

#71 Posted by nintendoeats (6222 posts) -
@SirOptimusPrime: You'll hear no arguments from me. Maybe it makes sense in Japan.
Avatar image for siroptimusprime
#72 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2052 posts) -
@nintendoeats: If it does then Japan is behind on, like, 500 years of media. I mean their lagging behind, but not that bad.  

P.S. to my original post - The combat system gets too much praise. That shit is weak. A simple turn-based style is much more effective and can be just as strategic. For the Big C's sake, the game boils down to "stagger-time!" eventually, and being able to have enough cognizance to switch from "stagger paradigm" to "heal" and then attack some more isn't strategy, that's just common fucking sense in a video game.
#73 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8504 posts) -

It starts with a train wreck.  The game is a massively poignant troll on the state of Square since Enix.

#74 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

The Last Remnant was at least a failure of potentially great ideas and poor balancing. FF13 just kind of shines a light on the bubble SE lives in where they refuse to learn anything by the success and failure of other games.

#75 Posted by RYNO9881 (634 posts) -

I just want a well made, straight up turn based final fantasy. Why do RPGs nowadays have to "action" oriented. On the other hand XII's and XIII's gameplay were really fun.

#76 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -

Because it's not American made. Oh, and because it looks crappy on the 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.