Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Wow this game really is THAT slow

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Edited By Vermy81

I'd read all the reviews that say FF13 really is slow to develop.   

But I can't really say that I was prepared for how slow it was to develop.  I looked at the game clock when i started to get experience points....Experience points, not some complex concept--3:01 into play.  Mostly due to me reading every single codex entry since the world of Cocoon-Pulse is pretty alien and new.    More than 2 hours of literally pushing straight and mashing circle.  

3 hours is half of a shooter, so that's a bit weird. One wonders why they  take so long to introduce the games core mechanics to the player?  I don't understand how they could weigh the risk of confusing the player with mechanics and put that on a scale with the risk of boring the player taking hours to find itself. 

That said I knew what I was in for.  I really like the story so far, the characters all seem pretty interesting and have okay motivations.   And oh yeah it's incredibly gorgeous and looks so different from Western games.  And I mean that in a good way.  

I trust the battle system will come along, but  I wonder if I'll have the patience to wait on it. 

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Vermy81

I'd read all the reviews that say FF13 really is slow to develop.   

But I can't really say that I was prepared for how slow it was to develop.  I looked at the game clock when i started to get experience points....Experience points, not some complex concept--3:01 into play.  Mostly due to me reading every single codex entry since the world of Cocoon-Pulse is pretty alien and new.    More than 2 hours of literally pushing straight and mashing circle.  

3 hours is half of a shooter, so that's a bit weird. One wonders why they  take so long to introduce the games core mechanics to the player?  I don't understand how they could weigh the risk of confusing the player with mechanics and put that on a scale with the risk of boring the player taking hours to find itself. 

That said I knew what I was in for.  I really like the story so far, the characters all seem pretty interesting and have okay motivations.   And oh yeah it's incredibly gorgeous and looks so different from Western games.  And I mean that in a good way.  

I trust the battle system will come along, but  I wonder if I'll have the patience to wait on it. 

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By dantheman1515

That is why I have yet to pick it up. Maybe Ill buy it this summer, but that's a huge investment of time.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

You'll have the patiences.

Just need to chip away the hours a few times a day or so. If you're trying to play through it all on a few days you'll probably bore yourself to death.

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vermy81
    @Meteora said:
    " You'll have the patiences.  Just need to chip away the hours a few times a day or so. If you're trying to play through it all on a few days you'll probably bore yourself to death. "
    You have obviously never power leveled an MMO character.    Or as i like to call it listening to podcasts while i kind of play a game.  Like compared to doing a 1-80 level grind in 3 weeks in WoW a few hours of downtime isn't so bad...it's just different in a single player game.  
     But i may mix in some other games as i have a few others waiting to go.   
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

It gets better. You do not get your first summon or the ability to level up weapons before you hit the 7/8 hour mark. 

10 hours in is where you first do anything other than run forward to the next enemy or cutscene. It is a very short (3min) scene where you get to run around a beach and talk to people. Then its back to running forward to the next enemy/cutscene.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ZenaxPure

Wait, your complaining it took 3 hours to get xp even though it was by your own choice? I mean seriously I made it to the "xp part" in half that time, around the 1:30 mark. Seems a bit silly to me to complain about how long it took you to reach there because you wanted to read all the datalogs.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

The game becomes open when you reach Gran Pulse, which is half way through.

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vermy81
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " Wait, your complaining it took 3 hours to get xp even though it was by your own choice? I mean seriously I made it to the "xp part" in half that time, around the 1:30 mark. Seems a bit silly to me to complain about how long it took you to reach there because you wanted to read all the datalogs. "
    I wasn't even really complaining so much  is it just felt remarkable to me how measured the pace of this game is.  I knew what i was getting in for and it's still disjarring.   

And to be honest I don't think reading the datalog is something that should be seen as optional,  the game throws a lot of information at you right away and it would be a lot to take in without the datalog.   
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

Here is something to consider: I reached the more open part of the game at 33 hours, and I'm still playing at 91 hours.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Vermy81 said:
    " @Zenaxzd said:
    " Wait, your complaining it took 3 hours to get xp even though it was by your own choice? I mean seriously I made it to the "xp part" in half that time, around the 1:30 mark. Seems a bit silly to me to complain about how long it took you to reach there because you wanted to read all the datalogs. "
    I wasn't even really complaining so much  is it just felt remarkable to me how measured the pace of this game is.  I knew what i was getting in for and it's still disjarring.     And to be honest I don't think reading the datalog is something that should be seen as optional,  the game throws a lot of information at you right away and it would be a lot to take in without the datalog.    "
    Ah I see, just sounded like complaining is all. I know I didn't touch a single datalog outside of characters until chapter 11 and I had no problem following things going on (even helped explain it to someone else in another thread so yeah). 

Something I try to suggest to everyone going into the game (and especially the first 2 hours of the game) is get out of the habit of using autobattle. The thing while may seem like it makes life easier and boring it only serves to slow battles down because it lacks the knowledge to AOE properly and strings together attacks as a ravager that are not so smart. Doing this also keeps you feeling more engaged in the combat (and one could argue "mashy" I guess but that isn't a bad thing).
    Signpost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Signpost
    Much like the linearity the lack of experience for fights at the beginning is part of the story.  You don't earn xp at the start because you are just people trying to survive, you aren't L'Cie and don't have any powers so there is nothing to power up by spending xp.  The same goes for the lack of towns/linearity, you are on the run from a government that wants to kill you, it kind of kills the suspense and tension when you stop your escape to wander around a town, visit some shops, talk to people.   

Sure it is unusual but in context it all fits with the feeling and the story they are going for.     

@Zenaxzd:
      I just wanted to comment on the auto-battle.  I didn't find auto-battle to be that bad at all, in fact I used it for much of the game.  There were a couple times when I had to take control and use the ability I wanted (mainly using Esuna while another medic healed) but overall I felt the game did a good job of choosing the attacks I wanted based on my job.  This let me focus on macro-strategy of worrying about Paradigms, when to use a full ATB or cut it short, etc.  Whenever I had to choose attacks manually I found it clunky and would always waste time because I had haste on almost always and the ATB would be full before I could manually choose the attacks I wanted.  
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Talesavo

I've had FF13 for a week now and I've already logged 10hours, which is saying a lot for me. ><

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JokerClown88
    @Signpost said:
    " Much like the linearity the lack of experience for fights at the beginning is part of the story.  You don't earn xp at the start because you are just people trying to survive, you aren't L'Cie and don't have any powers so there is nothing to power up by spending xp.  The same goes for the lack of towns/linearity, you are on the run from a government that wants to kill you, it kind of kills the suspense and tension when you stop your escape to wander around a town, visit some shops, talk to people.    Sure it is unusual but in context it all fits with the feeling and the story they are going for. "
    This
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Signpost: I've only found it useful when I don't want to waste time after class switching and I have a full ATB. I just get sick of playing as Lightning and when having her in rav form she thinks it a great idea to alternate between strikes and normal magic when it adds time to the animation and she does more damage with the strikes since she is mostly str stacked. Tons of other little things myself and others have covered in various threads. I has its usefulness and I do use it in the time I mentioned but overall I've found it extends battles longer than they should be.
    Signpost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Signpost
    @Zenaxzd: I did notice that about Lightning.  However, once I had haste I just didn't feel it was worth it to manually choose her <element>strike abilities everytime, and even when she was jumping between them and spells I was still 5*'ing battles.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Signpost: Well I don't do it manually EVERY time, I mean most battles you are going to be entering the same commands until you switch classes so that is why the repeat command is godly. It even saves based on class so if you spam a specific element strike then switch to Com during stagger and switch back to rav afterwards your rav commands will still be saved to repeat. It's kinda like autochain without the suck.
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lambert

Just stop wasting your time with this piece of shit game. It is really pathetic how the apologists defend this horribly designed game.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By meteora
    @Vermy81: No, I've never. That's because I suck at powerleveling and often have trouble figuring what the hell else I should do; or trying not to alawys die or get bored and chatting with my guildies.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aus_azn

Reading codecs and stuff burns a lot of time. I am almost at Odin with approximately 4:30 on the clock, IIRC.

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By ChernobylCow

My little brother got a PS3 not long before FFXIII came out.  Of course he picked it up for the nostalgia factor.  I told him it would take a long time to get going and he said yeah that it was slow.  I asked him why he kept playing and he just said the story was worth it.  I'll have to take his word for it because I'm never going to play this game with all that I've heard.  There are 10 year old games that handle it better.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By Catolf
    @ChernobylCow:  Your brother is right, the story is worth it, and the combat is superb, it's slow yes, but it's all worth it in the end I assure you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.