Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Should I get back into this?

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I hopped on when this game launched but it didn't seem like there was enough there to keep my playing long term, but every time I see a new trailer for stuff there patching in I get the itch to try it again. So my question is has this game changed that much since the launch or is it just more of that?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zeik

Depends on what you mean by "more of that." It's still fundamentally the same game, there's just a lot more content now. If you only stopped because there wasn't enough to do then it's definitely worth jumping back in. If you stopped because you didn't like what you were doing then that's a harder call.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there's an expansion coming in the early part of next year, no? You should just wait and give that a shot.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zeik: I wouldn't say I hated it but it definitely felt a little thin at the time

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@dizzyhippos: I wasn't around for the launch of 2.0 but even since I came in at the Ps4 launch in April the game has changed a ton and even moresoe coming up with the release of 2.4.

If you haven't played since launch there is a mountain of content for you to dig through.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dizzyhippos: You didn't say how far you got before leaving back at launch, but there is a lot to do these days and they have added a lot to the endgame in particular. A lot of it you can do solo, but for the best results have some friends or join a friendly guild to get the most out of it.

They've added hard modes of a lot of the main quest dungeons which completely retool the encounters and have new bosses, plus added some extra optional dungeons and one-off boss encounters too.

The endgame 8-man raiding has gone pretty deep, with the Binding Coil being wrapped up in the next patch which will drop on Monday (it currently has 9 separate encounters with 4 extra savage mode encounters)

There's the two 24-man dungeons, plus the extreme-mode Primal fights. There's something like 30+ dungeons in the game now.

They added the server-wide monster Hunts which can still see huge amounts of people coming together to take down single monsters out and about in the world. These are also a fast way to gear up for the endgame stuff, and one of my favourite things in the game when you see everyone suddenly show up from across the server.

There's lots of other stuff, like the sightseeing log, treasure hunts, the Hildebrand sidequest, and large-scale arena-based PVP too. You can also work on gardening, crafting, chocobo raising, beast tribe quests, desynthesis, hunting log, gathering and levelling up the different classes through all the sidequests and the many, many, many FATEs. The new patch on Monday is adding a new class & job so it will be very busy with people levelling up, and whatever server you're on will probably feel very alive, even the low-population ones. The new class is a DPS, though, so dungeon queue times for non-tank/healers will probably get quite long.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Supposedly 2.4 is launching on the 28th (according to my peeps that went to fan fest) which brings the Ninja into the fold. Other than that its still the same game with a ton of new stuff. Leveling is about the same but the level grind for end game armor is extremely easy with the hunts.

I'm curious about what you found thin about it? There was a ton of stuff to do between 1-50. I can see the end game prior to 2.1 being thin but if you never got that far there are still tons of stuff to see and do. Do Daily dungeons and guildhests for leveling. If you don't like the combat go craft or harvest minerals.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SnakeLinkSonic

I think @zeik gave you your best answer. If you enjoyed what was there at launch, there's definitely a lot more of that now. Also, how far did you get? What did you exactly enjoy about the game? I will say as someone who has been playing it almost daily for the past year that it's a fantastic game to play in moderation. It's a very casual-friendly game. They've significantly upped the content for the more hardcore crowd but say you come back and get into the game something fierce (like over ten hours a day something fierce); chances are you will hit a wall and get bored very fast. People who sink massive amounts of time into it tend to burnout (with a few exceptions here and there). I think it really just depends on what you fundamentally enjoy about the game. It is an MMO at the end of the day so your mileage will certainly vary as most of the best stuff in the game will require varying timesinks.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's also worth noting that they have significantly improved the end game grind since launch. At launch you basically had to run Amdapor Keep over and over for philosophy tomes so you could buy the armor you needed to take on Hard mode Garuda and Titan. Now not only are there more dungeons, but there are also several new ways to obtain tomes. (And a few alternative ways to get end game gear.)

It's also a lot easier to level secondary classes. Without story missions you basically had to resort to tedious FATE grinding to hit 50. Now you can get to 50 pretty quickly without even having to touch FATEs.

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you left within the first two months of launch the game has changed in a lot of ways. The core gameplay is still there but they've added many QoL changes over the past couple of patches along with tons of content. If you haven't played since 2.1(December 2013) or before there's more then enough to fill your appetite now. The grind that was present in 2.0 with only 1-2 dungeons is no longer a thing neither is only leveling off fates. Weekly capping has a bunch of options Dungeon Roulette's (Multiple Types), Hunts, PvP, Endgame Coil, CT/ST 24 man raids, Treasure Maps, etc. Not to mention leveling has its own Roulette's along with weekly challenge logs and dungeon XP was vastly upgraded to compete with fates. If you enjoyed the game but the CM/Adampor grind turned you away its not an issue anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.