Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

Fumbling Through Combat

Flux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Flux

So far i'm really loving FF:XV, just got to chapter 3 and got my first Chocobo. Really having a great time.

However, I feel as though up until this point i've fumbled my way through combat, I never preform all that bad my Time and DMG are usually A+ however my finesse is always anywhere from B-D range.

If I have a goal I want to achieve it combat I usually can do it. I'm not just mashing buttons and hoping for the best. But it feels like i'm also fighting with the combat system particularly the lock on system.

I've tried different control layout to no avail.

Anyone else feeling the same way here? Or is it just me?

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think you're just going to have to accept that both the lock-on and camera suck at what they're trying to do. If you're really having trouble, you can try turning on Wait Mode. It makes it a little bit easier to pick out a target for warping. This is particularly true for warp points, which I think the game really struggles to lock to properly most of the time (I have a lot of instances where I'm looking directly at the prompt and it just warp-dashes me to nowhere rather than the warp point).

It isn't perfect - Wait Mode has trouble swapping between a close target and a distant one, so it can be hard to pick out the enemy you want, and it has a tendency to kick in when its not wanted at the end of battle (because it operates when you stop moving and Noctis stops to brush off his hands when you win, it will a lot of times stop the game every time you win a battle).

Millertime1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Millertime1989

I'm at about the same place in my game and I totally feel the same way. I wind up not only getting low Finesse scores but also at some points I feel like my attacks don't connect with the enemies.

I also feel that combat would be a lot more manageable and less confusing if the game would let you toggle Lock on with just one button rather than holding RB/R1 and pressing in the stick.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lawgamer said:

I think you're just going to have to accept that both the lock-on and camera suck at what they're trying to do. If you're really having trouble, you can try turning on Wait Mode. It makes it a little bit easier to pick out a target for warping. This is particularly true for warp points, which I think the game really struggles to lock to properly most of the time (I have a lot of instances where I'm looking directly at the prompt and it just warp-dashes me to nowhere rather than the warp point).

It seems like holding down triangle (rather than tapping) will usually cause me to go to the warp point. Could just be my imagination, but I had a lot of trouble with that in the demo too and ever since I started doing it I've become a lot more consistent at it.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By LawGamer

I'm at about the same place in my game and I totally feel the same way. I wind up not only getting low Finesse scores but also at some points I feel like my attacks don't connect with the enemies.

I also feel that combat would be a lot more manageable and less confusing if the game would let you toggle Lock on with just one button rather than holding RB/R1 and pressing in the stick.

This. So much this. Wait Mode should also be a toggle rather than an auto-stop.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bit of a learning curve, but I eventually learned how to do cool shit. What I still can't get used to is holding the attack button to combo. I still want to tap for every hit -- it feels better in a tactile sense, and I can't fathom why they decided to go with holding a button instead -- but tapping seems to work OK, thankfully. Also, the lock-on sucks. Patching it to be a R1 toggle should be their first order of business.

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scottjay01

@flux: Ok let me try and help you, First of all before I start. The camera maybe too close to noctis one of my buddys were having the same issue and I told them to pull the camera back a bit in the options menu and that worked great for him.

Ok when it comes to combat there are 4 main things you want to focus on till they become second nature, Weapon switching, Countering, Back attacks (Double teams) and Link attacks.

For easier locking on, hit R1 then click R3 for a hard lock on you can then flick the stick if you need to change enemies.

These skills are big help if you have them unlocked already in the Ascenson Grid.

Under Techniques

-Tech Strike (This will help you keep flowing with Link Attacks)

Under Combat

-Airstep (It will be good for mid air fights)

-Blink (Press square at the last second to phase without losing mp)

-Light Phase

Ok now that's out the way let's get on to weapon switching, Note: if you played allot of episode Duscae I would recommend control scheme 2 as hit is the same button layout. I'll be writing this under Scheme 1.

Weapon Switching:

First start a chain of attacks with say your light sword you can do different attacks depending on the direction you move with the selected weapon, now get up to about 3 hits or more then lets change it up, Press Defend (Square) while changing to your Heavy Sword (For me thats Dpad Left) then hold Circle you will do tempest with the Heavy sword hitting all enemies in range. If the enemy is still alive straight away or after another it or two with the heavy sword hit Square and Switch to your Spear and back to circle for another combo.

Another example of weapon switching is say I'm fighting mid air against a flying enemy, I'm hitting them with my light sword but as they fly away or I descend and I have a gun equipped quickly switch to it on the dpad and hold Circle noctis starts shooting keeping the combo going, if you've leveled your Warping you can switch to say you spear or light sword and hold triangle to wrap strike back into them! And continue slashing them in the air.

Countering:

This is very important for downing enemies, setting up team attacks and saving yourself from damage. While yes you can phase away much easier with the ability's I've suggested above, so now instead of wasting MP work on your timing and you can last minute press square and phase away then Counter with devastating damage . Also pressing square and moving in the direction you want does the ever useful Dodge roll, this can get you in a better position to attack or down your foe.

Back attacks/Double Teams:

Attacking from behind in this game is a key component to successful flashy combat with your Bro's. So first thing you need is to get behind an enemy, Remember the Dodge roll I spoke about? This can help you move around if your having trouble getting behind a close foe. Another way it using the Warp Strike from a far getting the first few hits in. Ok we are behind our enemy, I'm in the middle of attacking after warping and I switch to my heavy sword but wait Prompto is near! I throw him my Sword and he passes me his gun and BAM Double team and hi five! Other instances would be using your spear with Ignis close by, you'll throw it in the air and Ignis will jump, catch it and rain it down on the enemy, or using your Light sword from behind with Ignis near will result in the cool cross slash. Basically the weapon you have while back attacking and who your around will result in different Team attacks. Just remember to get behind them!

Link attacks:

Link attacks are Fantastic and you can use them at any point. If you have the skill I listed above in the A-grid you will keep refilling the link attack bar with out noticing it running out. Now there are so many useful ones here, Example if you want to group a bunch of foes together you can hit L1 and have Promopto using the gravity cannon to suck them all into one spot while the 3 of you whale on them!

Ignis can throw his daggers marking enemies ready for you to hit Circle warping in a stream cutting all of them. Another very very useful Link is Ignis's regroup skill, Later in the game you my be getting overwhelmed, maybe at a base or a boss fight enemies are trying to push the 4 of you apart and some of you are low on HP. Hit L1 pick Ignis and regroup the Crew will run back toward each other forming a strong line even healing ready to fight again! If you have allot of foes heading your way and you want to clear them out Gladio is your man hit L1 and he will rush swinging with sword downing most of them follow up with the circle prompt and depending on what you have equipped you'll crash in on them straight after. Unlocking and playing about with Links and how you use them is great fun. Check the ascension grid stock up on them and mess around till you have a feel of whats good in what situation. Again the beauty of these is that they can be used at any time so start, mid or end of a combo or even against other foes entirely.

I hope this has helped even a little with Combat and you can enjoy it more!

Flux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Flux

@lawgamer: I use wait mode solely to catch my bearings against large enemies and scanning for weakness. But even then its not all that great.

@Millertime1989: The toggle lock does feel really cumbersome, I wish it would re-lock onto another enemy after you finished killing the current target

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By GERALTITUDE
    @flux said:

@lawgamer: I use wait mode solely to catch my bearings against large enemies and scanning for weakness. But even then its not all that great.

@Millertime1989: The toggle lock does feel really cumbersome, I wish it would re-lock onto another enemy after you finished killing the current target

Maybe you don't like playing this way but I find Wait Mode very useful in general. I use it after every enemy death and running in between enemies to keep track of all the baddies & bros positions, pick my next warp target, set my R1 lock on, change weapons, etc. This has stopped me from being surrounded, back-attacked, or accidentally locked on to the wrong enemy / no enemy at all. You can also see very easily at a glance who all your Bros are targeting, which can be very useful to whittle down packs by focusing attacks. Personally I like a slower pace so this amount of pausing is nice for me, but not necessarily for everyone. I do hope they refine the lock on or give us some options, you're right that it could be better. I'm about 10 hours into the game now. At first combat was finicky but it feels / looks very elegant to me now and really enjoying it. Not that it means much but just to wrap in to your OP, I'm getting B-B+ for my finesse.

Are you hard on the left stick? I find in battle that walking did wonders for me lol. Again this is maybe specific to a slow poke like yours truly! Good luck anyways!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.