Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

How bad are the performance issues really?

rebellion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So,

How bad are these frame-rate problems? I watched through the digital foundry analysis of the console versions. I couldn't see the frame pacing in the YouTube video. But, with how many complaints I've seen about this problem, I'm sure they are there and I will notice as soon as I start playing the game. My fiancee and I are ready to play this game but since I own both base consoles and I hate buying an inferior version, ( I know, I'm stupid, but I'm not the only person who does this.) I would really like to buy the right one. I've noticed that the Xbox One players are saying that it runs perfectly with zero frame pacing issues, but have reported some frame-rate drops in heavier scenes.

Where are you guys playing this? Are you using an Xbox One, Xbox One S, PS4, or PS4 Pro? Are the problems that big of a deal? I've noticed that some people have compared this game to Bloodborne in terms of frames, but I never had a problem with that game apart from the loading times of the initial version. Should I be okay purchasing the PS4 version?

Thanks duders,

Rebellion

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine, even with like 15 enemies on screen. Maybe it slows down a bit but it's nothing like Fallout 4 for exemple.

I think bloodborn is an apt comparison. If you were fine with that you will be fine with FF15

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I have a PS4 Pro and I found that playing on the "high" graphics setting meant that the system occasionally could not hit 30. I have a 1080p TV and generally favor 60 FPS over graphics fidelity, so I turned it to "lite", and it has been silky smooth.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's pretty bad on a base ps4 IF you have sensitivity to it, remember frames don't drop almost at all, it's just the pacing of them, it must be a bug like Digital Foundry said because it can go lengths of time without it happening at all and feel incredibly smooth, and the suddenly it starts happening again.

I'd say you're best bet to have a great experience right now would be to use Lite mode on PS4Pro, but if you only have a base PS4 right now you'll have to deal with it or wait for a fix (If they don't fix it I'm going to be incredibly disappointed)

cigaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cigaro

I have an LG OLED, and when I put the game in high resolution it reallly runs not very great.

Lite makes a huge difference. and honestly the graphics setting that really is making a difference in this game is HDR. Looks so much better with it enabled. So I am running 4k with Lite and HDR and the game still looks and runs pretty well.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine on my PS4. It dips sometimes, but it's never too bad. I heard the big city has some fps issues, but I haven't got there yet.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regular PS4 here and the frame pacing is noticeable, but I've been okay with it. If you were okay with Bloodborne (which actually drops frames, pretty badly sometimes), you'll be fine with FFXV.

rebellion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm leaning towards PS4. I'm in the camp that my Xbox One and PS4 are completely fine and do not need replacing, so I will not be buying a Pro or an S any time soon. Unless one of them blows up. And if that's the Xbox.... eh... so be it. Probably won't get another one. I'm also definitely not buying a 4K OLED for the next 3-4 years. I'm sure they are great, but I can't justify paying that much money for something I already have 4 of, even if they are just that much better.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital Foundry posted an Xbox video saying that it has zero frame pacing issues, for what it's worth. I'm much more sensitive to frame pacing than I am framerate issues. Bad frame pacing makes me extremely motion sick, which is why Dark Souls III on Xbox is almost unplayable for me(shoulda got the PS4 version!) so idk, there's that!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Frame pacing issues can cause slight judder effects from time to time on PS4. The Pro's light mode eliminates it and apparently they're working on a 60fps mode for it too

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I've only noticed it once while running around in the open world. Been pretty smooth for me otherwise

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have noticed the frame pacing issues a few times but it's not really been an issue for me.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kishinfoulux

I enjoy what Digital Foundry does, but most of the issues they talk about in any game the common person won't even notice.

I've been playing on HQ mode on the Pro and have not been bothered one tiny bit by "frame pacing".

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Performance issues? I'm about 2 and half hours in and I haven't noticed any. It's been smooth as butter so far for me, even with a shit ton of enemies on the screen. Maybe it's later in the game.

killreviltwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By killreviltwin

bad. combat is very very bad. water looks very bad

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes you've posted this in several threads now. We get it.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo, I'm really tired right now but I totally thought we were getting into a discussion about "anime voice actors"...

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#18 sgtsphynx  Moderator

On a regular PS4 and I really only notice it when driving. That's not to say it isn't present at other times, just that I don't notice it outside of when I'm driving.

Sirio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Compared to the demo version this is waaaaay better. If you remember the game would slow down to 15fps, which really concerned me. Whatever they did to optimize it really made a huge difference, it's night and day between that version and the final.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only noticed it a little bit on my base PS4. When riding in the car, slow, sweeping pans can sometimes (but not always) feel jerky and uneven, a telltale sign of uneven frame pacing. Framerate seems solid overall, though and hopefully that means that the frame pacing issue can get cleaned up in a patch. Even if it doesn't, it's still perfectly playable.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cant play it for more than an hour or so at a time because i begin to have a headache.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't experienced any issues at all. Base PS4.

Rohsiph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing on a launch PS4 and a new 4K LED with HDR turned on. This is pretty much the first time I'm hearing people hedge about "frame pacing" vs "frame rate." The game performs a bit better than I expected--but it's definitely not smooth.

Hey, it's a big open-world Japanese RPG running on a 3-year-old console. On rare occasions it becomes very smooth, but most of the time its pretty jittery. I forget exactly how Bloodborne performed--the comparisons are probably accurate.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I'm playing PS4 and have not noticed any kind of slow down at all even with crazy explosions and max enemies on the screen.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

Watched my brother play some of it, and we have it on an original PS4 (not the Pro) and I played less than a minute of it in training, which felt fine, but was in a confined space. What I can say is that what I saw wasn't entirely consistent, but it looked fine, and was certainly way, way better than the episode duscae which was pretty choppy. It doesn't look that bothersome, where I thought it'd break the experience, though I think an update that could eliminate any choppiness would be nice. The Xbox One version is supposed to run smoother, but look duller; I prefer the PS4 version.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have just over 10 hours played, and I just made it to a fairly large town, and so far I've not noticed any performance issues whatsoever. That being said, despite me not noticing any problems, there probably has been some issues, but prior to upgrading my computer I got pretty used to playing games with below 30 fps, so I've kind of learned to ignore these things.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing on a PS4, so apparently I have the worst version available. I think the problems are very noticeable and annoying, but not game-breaking by any means. It was bad enough that I paused the game shortly after starting it and went to see if other people were having problems and if there were any solutions. The frame pacing issue is pretty bad in spots, but also inconsistent, so sometimes it looks mostly fine. I'm hoping they can fix the frame pacing stuff with a patch.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issues are few are far between. I'm noticing minor slowdown very rarely on my old ass PS4

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Havent noticed any real issues on my launch PS4.

junkiiiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a PC gamer and have been playing games for decades and I've never heard of "frame pacing". What is this anyway? This something new?

I am playing on a base PS4 hooked up to a 4K LED. Everything has been smooth except for when I reached the big city (forget the name) yesterday and I noticed an FPS decrease but nothing that made me think slide show or anything. It was still very playable and thankfully you are not fighting in the city. Other than that it has been a smooth ride for the 18hrs I've played so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killreviltwin said:

Yes you've posted this in several threads now. We get it.

He's just making sure everyone knows his feelings like a reasonable person.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wildpomme

I've put in 32 hours so far and the performance has been acceptable, except for one moment in Galdin Quay where the framerate got destroyed, going down to the single digits and staying there. I ended up having to quit the game and relaunch it.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@junkiiiii: Frame pacing means the render time of frames is uneven. You might have a series of frames with a render time of 16ms and then a frame time of 33ms:

16 16 33 16 16

Or

16 33 16 33 16

Visually this is perceived as stuttering. This is one reason stuttering has been a problem with multi GPU setups on PC.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7195/amd-frame-pacing-explorer-cat138/2

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By veektarius

I haven't noticed any performance issues on my Xbox, though the resolution does not always appear to be the greatest.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've played half a dozen hours on the PS4 Pro and it runs well. I'm using the same 27inch 1080p Monitor I have for my Gaming PC and it certainly looks 1080p to me. Slight frame inconsistencies on high (maybe not drops exactly, more like being unstable - not sure how to describe it). Mostly been playing it on Lite as I'm sitting further away on a smaller Monitor and I'm noticing no issues whatsoever on that setting.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I have a PS4 Pro and I'm currently playing on the high setting. Looks really nice with some dips in very chaotic battles. I'm not super sensitive to framiness so I'll just say I have 0 complaints currently! Haven't tried lite mode yet boy is the high setting crisp. Super curious to see what future updates bring!

I guess to try to be more useful OP, I think if you are someone who has rarely had issues with performance in games you will find FFXV to be pretty and solid. Me? I am loving it. Now, if you are very sensitive to performance and resolution the common response seems to be that the game is generally good, but not great, across the board. Reading on gaf and GB, I don't feel like it's common to see people who are truly disgusted by it or put off.

OP - have you watched any comparison videos? How noticeable do the differences appear to you? Not a bad first gauge, though videos and real life are admittedly very different.

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Quantical

I decided on the xbone version as Digital Foundry said the frame rate was more stable. The 2D menus and text are nice and crisp but the 3D is pretty blurry for a current gen game. Frame rate is stable but low. Bear in mind though that I usually play games on a PC so it seems like a step back with some console games. Plays fine as long as you don't mind Bloodborne like frames per second or lower.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Playing on PS4 I notice frequent drops down to 20-22 fps. Open world, towns, battles. Anywhere, really.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on a regular ps4, I haven't really noticed any problems at all, besides some load times that go a bit long occasionally.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Joe423

Playing on regular ps4, haven't had any problems. It seems to be 30 pretty constantly for me.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My wife still has a regular PS4, and hasn't had any huge issues from what I've seen. I have a Pro, and have played in both modes, both are fine, although Lite is obviously better.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I can't count frames but I played through the entire game and never had it drop low enough for me to stop and take note.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Xdeser2

Playing on the regular PS4: Granted I'm only about 10 hours in, but the worst I've seen is in a particular city you go to when the world really "opens up", it was bad, down to like 15, but it was only a momentary thing, for the most part that city runs fine.

As far as I've seen, it runs fine in battles, I haven't experienced anything but minor slowdown in bigger fights. Maybe a few frames for a second or two when it gets super chaotic with tons of enemies on screen.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dispossession

Lite on PS4 Pro without a ton of issues. The only huge issue I had was my camera getting stuck in one direction multiple times while running the Costlemark Tower dungeon. It took about 5 tries to get through it without any camera issues.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So to be the dissenting voice in here I'll say that the PS4 regular version has horrible frame pacing issues that makes it look very stuttery to me, and gives me a headache pretty consistently 10-15 min into playing.
    I'm a bit surprised that most folks here seem to not have a problem with it when I do. I'm usually am on the other side of these things, Bloodborne for example was never an issue for me.
    If you are at all sensitive to such issues get the Xbox version which supposedly doesn't have the frame pacing problem.
    I wanted to spend Christmas in a huge rpg, but now I either have to wait for a ps4 patch that fixes the issue (which may or may not ever happen) or buy another version of the same game (which already was waaay expensive). I'm kinda pissed about buying this full price right before it went on sale on the PS4, and I can't even play it without getting a headache.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played for 50 hours and never noticed anything outside of normal for a game of this size.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.