Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

Just finished FFXV, what a ending.

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I almost never get emotional when consuming any type of media but I just finished ffxv and the ending hit me really hard. After playing as those characters for 76 hours, I grew attached to them. without realizing it I was developing a bond with these characters as I was doing all the side missions. So when you learn that Noctis has to sacrifice himself to finish Ardyn it hit me hard but I was okay, little sad but that's about it. Then I beat the game and the scene after credits plays. Noctis is reunited with his friends after 10 years of being away and this will be the last time they will be together before they have to fight Ardyn. Noctis says he made his peace with the way it needs to end but still knowing this is it and seeing all his friends here now it's more than he can bear. My chest tightened up right there. Then the last thing Noctis says "well... what can I say. You guys... are the best", I just teared up at that. Even though the story in ffxv was rushed and full of holes the 4 playable characters felt like real friends. It was like I was losing a friend for real and it hurt. So I wanted to ask what did you guys think about the ending or if any other game made you feel so emotional like this?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

I liked the ending. But turns out there's a lot of lore out there in the DLC and side media. It was a nice cap to the game, however, so that side stuff is optional if you wanna dig more into the universe.

As for emotional?

- The MGS 3 salute.

- I loved the original Mass Effect 3 ending, so the last few hours of that.

- Asura's Wrath, the DLC ending still sticks with me. Well lived, indeed.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Most enjoyable part of the game was an optional dungeon accessible only by using the flying car after playing the main game. It wouldn't surprise me if some folks hated the platforming but I found them really fun!

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

In a game that is largely unfocused with notoriously bad development issues, FFXV sure managed to win me over despite it all, and most of the reason can be condensed down to the theme of brotherhood between the 4 characters, and the last 2 hours. The world and story they crafted had so much potential, if only it all came together and didn't go through development hell. The fact the campfire scene hits as hard as it does despite the myriad of problems the game has its narrative, is a testament to how much potential there was. Didn't stop me from sinking in 80 hours, though.

In terms of other games, I think despite my unfavorable opinion on Nier Automata (recycled assets galore and tragically poor combat by Platinum standards, to name a couple), the ending hits hard. Even if most of it comes off as sophomoric nihilistic philosophy 101, I think the story beats hit where they need to, and they get there by the end.

The mission "Red Dead Redemption" from RDR2 is a more recent example. I won't spoil it here, but man that thing stuck with me. "Unshaken" is a great track.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's strange as I played this game recently and even wrote a BLOG about it and I was very confused about the story most of the time, even after I watched the Kingsglaive movie and read some stuff online. I guess I'm too practical at times because all throughout the campfire scene I was just thinking "how is this happening that we are here and why is no one addressing it?" I've had different games actually affect me in different ways but this was a pretty big wiff for me personally. The character building is bizarre and disjointed even after you do their individual DLC's. I did the one for Prompto thinking it would really flesh out the incredibly important backstory the main campaign just completely sidesteps..and I guess they say a bit more but also not really. Not to mention that insane boss fight.

I can agree there was definitely a ton of potential here that got lost amidst all the development hell.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@humanity: 100% agree. My problem with the game is that it could seem to decide what it wanted to be about.

1. Initially, it seems like it's going to be a more personal story of the group of guys growing up and taking on responsibility. Literally Final Fantasy as Stand by Me.

2. Then it seems to morph into a traditional "beat the evil Empire" story.

3. Then the point in the Imperial City hints at an almost survival horror Final Fantasy-meets-Resident Evil sort of thing.

4. Then the last few chapters move into this post-apocalyptic mode with Noctis as a messiah figure.

The thing is that any one of those things could have been pretty good if they had just committed to it. Personally, I wish they had spent a lot more time in the "World of Ruin" at the end of the game, since that looked really cool and it would have been neat to explore the same world overrun by demons.

But nope. Instead, everyone just accepts that Noctis is back after however many years with absolutely no complaint. Then they have a cook out and fight Ifrit for some reason. Then the game ends.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When i think of emotional endings i think of Braid.
    Listen, i know it's not that wild of a twist, and it's not a sad or emotional thing, but i guess i was in the right headspace at the right time and i was so blown away by it.

Also Marston's death at the end of RDR1 is one of the nastiest and saddest deaths in video games, i haven't played the sequel.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Nick

i just finished this game. i didn't think i would but i really really liked it.

the whole thing is more than the sum of it's parts: driving around, exploring the land, helping people, and listening to the small conversations between the 4 guys. none of it is super compelling but when the end came i felt nostalgic and sad. i was surprised how much i cared about those guys; what a great game.

i played on xbox game pass for pc so i had all the dlc. i only finished half of the episodes so at least i have the other 2 to look forward to.

ps. i loved the little title card reveal/change after completion!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.