Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

The Pitioss dungeon: the craziest thing in a AAA game I've seen in ages

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

Spoilers for this secret, optional ''end game'' dungeon.

They made a crazy intricate mind fuck of puzzle platforming dungeon in this JRPG. No combat, just hard ass, super meat boy style platforming for like 3-5 hours straight. Playing this thing was like a descent into madness. It's incredibly well designed platforming challenges with sub optimal platforming gameplay. Even still, most of it is just damn impressive and fun even if at some point you'll probably want to break your controler in half.

Someone really has to ask the people who put this dungeon together: why? What is this thing doing in this game? Why is it so hidden? This is nuts.

Here's a Kotaku article I read after completing the dungeon: http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xvs-secret-dungeon-is-one-of-the-coolest-1789514516

According to this article I may not be done? Is there a thing after you get the black hood accessory?

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ToySoldier83

While everyone was pulling their hair out because of chapter 13, this damn dungeon was what did it for me. I came to hate myself and the game. While the basic idea, atmosphere, puzzles of Pitoss Ruin are to be admired, the gameplay aspect is suboptimal. Instead of using neat (and lore friendly) gameplay mechanics such as warping to get around, you are instead forced to walk carefully and jump your way thru this "platforming" dungeon. And yet all of Notcis animations that I had one adored, I came to hate at the end of this dungeon. His parkour roll after a jump, the weight of his character (which means Notics stopping milliseconds after you stopped pressing forward), all this attention to detail to this character became a hindrance as the game tried to have me platform with these animation quirks that were not suitable for a platformer. It took me five miserable hours to beat this dungeon, five hours that I will never get back.

KSCK26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toysoldier83: this exactly sums up my experience with it. The game was never meant to have difficult platforming and the characters control thusly. The whole dungeon, although extremely well thought out as far as the layout and puzzle designs go, was a chore to get through. Falling hundreds of times trying to land in platforms the size of your feet while accounting for 3 steps Noctis likes to take upon landing a jump was the most infuriating game experience I've had all year. I'd rather play more TLG, and I couldn't even get 5 hours into that game.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PurplePartyRobot

The unique items that can be found in that dungeon include the Black Hood and the Genji Gloves. The latter isn't that useful. If you're good at blocking/dodging, then you won't need the former, either.

As for the dungeon itself existing: why not? The dungeon is a side activity and unlike chapter 13, you aren't required to complete it. You don't have to play it if you don't want to. It takes an element in the game that you aren't required to use to progress at any point (probably because the developers know about how the controls are when applied to platforming) and makes an entire dungeon out of it. You don't even fight anything in there; it's all platforming. But that's the challenge: fighting the game's movement system to reach the end. If the game was built for platforming and had better controls for it, less people would struggle with it and the challenge level wouldn't exist as it currently does. My point is that I think the developers intended the challenge of the dungeon as it currently is: negotiating it while fighting the Noctis's movement and controls that don't foster easy platforming. It took me three and a half hours and largely liked it save for a couple of spots I found frustrating. Would I do it again? Probably not. It's more of a novelty to me best done once for the spectacle.

The only thing I would've liked are autosaves and/or the ability to save while in the dungeon manually. You don't know what you're getting into the moment you start unless you looked at a guide and not everyone has 3-5+ hours they can spend on a dungeon. The least they could have done was autosave as soon as you got the last item. Crashing the car on the way out only to find it doesn't autosave for the entirety of that segment would be fucking heartbreaking and has been for those who've experienced it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The least they could have done was autosave as soon as you got the last item. Crashing the car on the way out only to find it doesn't autosave for the entirety of that segment would be fucking heartbreaking and has been for those who've experienced it.

That's that classic JRPG flavor for you

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaaand it has just been speed run in about 6 minutes.

Loading Video...

Pretty impressive actually.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as I saw you could extend your jump with an attack I figured there would be some big skips, but that's a bit nuts.

I really enjoyed it but I did think it was a bit much how you could essentially get stuck in there with no way out. Also as soon as I exited I hard saved because I was terrified of something crashing and it resetting because it was obvious it hadn't autosaved. To have something go wrong at the end would be crushing.

I wonder if they had replaced the gameplay of chapter 13 with some of the stuff from Pitioss, what would people think? The design of the goddess room with the angles was pretty mindbending in a cool way, as was the giant doom wall and the first section. The 2d section and I could do without, and the endless dark running along girders. I didn't have a problem with the controls -mostly- because it seemed like they were fudging the jumps to make it more reliable. The biggest shame is that they just take away the blink-warp without any justification and then design the whole place as if you didn't have it. If they'd designed the dungeon with that capability in mind it could have been truly outstanding.

SlamTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat this and I'm mentally exhausted. Halfway in there was no way I was leaving it unfinished but did not realize it was so long. Took 4-5 hrs. Really well designed and a cool Easter egg but the last 2 hours were super frustrating.

yujinred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love pitioss dungeon. I think its is one of the most interesting and thoughtfully designed dungeons in the game (and Balouve Mine would rank close second due to how they used goblins playing tricks on you as the theme). I think if FF XV never had to appeal to a wide audience more armiger dungeons would be closer to Pitious difficulty than what we got. FF XV was a really easy game and having this level really caught me by surprise. I wished this dungeon had a trophy because for all the work i put into completing it I deserve one rather than a Black hood i'll never use. Adamantoise just seem like a gimmick fight while this dungeon requires patience, time, and concentration.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.