Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

Name Something to Change

Pierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Pierce

In response to the new information about Final Fantasy XIII-2, I have decided Final Fantasy needs to change. Post one thing you want to see change for the next Final Fantasy game (not necessarily XIII-2).

Here's mine: no monster hunting

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

You're saying that as if it doesn't change from title to title.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mandude

Fixed camera angles!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

@Pierce said:

In response to the new information about Final Fantasy XIII-2, I have decided Final Fantasy needs to change. Post one thing you want to see change for the next Final Fantasy game (not necessarily XIII-2).

Here's mine: no monster hunting

Final Fantasy already changes with every new game. I can assure you fairly well that Final Fantasy XV, whatever form it takes, will be vastly different form FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By danielkempster

...cloud360?

EDIT: In the interest of making this post actually count for something, I'll point out that there are loads of threads on this topic already on the forums. I'd recommend posting in one of those instead of starting yet another thread on the same topic. There's a forum search function for a reason - use it.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

Less androgynous/annoying characters. I don't intend that as flame-baiting, I actually quite liked XIII but that was really in spite of certain obnoxious tweens.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nekroskop

Less teenagers with impossibly huge swords and father/emotional issues.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

@ahaisthisourchance said:

hope had mother issues, so it's already changed!

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By AltonBrown

Red Mages. The whole cast should be made up of Red Mages.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By crazyleaves
    @nintendoeats

Less androgynous/annoying characters. I don't intend that as flame-baiting, I actually quite liked XIII but that was really in spite of certain obnoxious tweens.

Exactly what I was thinking. That game was pretty sharp in a lot of ways. It's when you have the teenage stuff that gets on my nerves, maybe it's cultural or something. I know that it's always been that way in FF but maybe they could just take out the tweeny stuff and the fake future sports.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@crazyleaves said:

@nintendoeats

Exactly what I was thinking. That game was pretty sharp in a lot of ways. It's when you have the teenage stuff that gets on my nerves, maybe it's cultural or something. I know that it's always been that way in FF but maybe they could just take out the tweeny stuff and the fake future sports.

The games are targeted at the teen demographic. That's why the majority of the games feature characters in their teens/early twenties.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nottle

@Animasta said:

@ahaisthisourchance said:

hope had mother issues, so it's already changed!

Also the last time a teenager had a impossibly huge sword in a final fantasy game was 14 years ago. Ok maybe Vann could get some pretty big ones, but you have so many different weapons it 12 that doesn't matter.

And how many characters actually have parent issues? Probably very few. Balthier, Hope, Sephiroth, Relm? That seems to be just a trope of entertainments more than anything.

I feel like when people talk about these games they have only played FF7, then FF8, they think those 2 brooding main characters represent the entire series and then fail to recognize the tonal, locational, and mechanical differences between each game.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By jacksukeru

@AltonBrown said:

Red Mages. The whole cast should be made up of Red Mages.

YES! Also, the villain is a Blue Mage.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By nintendoeats

@Hailinel said:

@crazyleaves said:

@nintendoeats

The games are targeted at the teen demographic. That's why the majority of the games feature characters in their teens/early twenties.

I'm only 21 and I've always found the modern FF aesthetic impossible to take seriously (and I mean that in a "man wearing poop for a hat" kind of way, not a Saints Row III kind of way), even when I was part of said demographic.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crazyleaves
    @Hailinel

@crazyleaves said:

@nintendoeats

I'm pretty sure I knew that. The topic is about something to change right? I want an adult focused FF game is that ok?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@crazyleaves said:

@Hailinel

@crazyleaves said:

@nintendoeats

I'm pretty sure I knew that. The topic is about something to change right? I want an adult focused FF game is that ok?

The majority of the player characters in FFXIII are adults.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

Character Archetypes. No more reluctant heroes, no more shy, girly but strong-willed women, no more Sarah Conner women, etc.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

What if the people were Chocobos and the Chocobos rode people.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ravenlight

More swords that are also some other type of weapon.

"Yes, I've played a JRPG at least once in the past 20 years, please skip this tutorial bullshit"-mode.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By imhungry

Change going off of 13? Because every new title introduces pretty big changes from the last game. However,

@LordXavierBritish said:

What if the people were Chocobos and the Chocobos rode people.

This sounds ok.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By I_smell

Get rid of all the annoying whiney anime characters that don't act like real people at all and talk fantasy-gibberish.

Instead have characters that people will actually like. I think Versus-13 is set in a neo-tokyo future city, so maybe that'll mix things up.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Arker101

@I_smell said:

Instead have characters that people will actually like.

This, and make the battle system similar to Chrono Trigger.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WMWA

They always do significant changes each iteration but one thing I would like back is the full item customization. Armor, headgear, Accessories. Etc. And make it all visible now, Not just the weapon changes. Just my two cents.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crazyleaves
    @Hailinel

@crazyleaves said:

@Hailinel

@crazyleaves said:

@nintendoeats

Thanks for the update. I will say again that FFXIII was pretty rad. They should drop the kids.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta

@Arker101 said:

@I_smell said:

chrono trigger battle system is boring, sorry

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @crazyleaves
    @Hailinel

@crazyleaves said:

@Hailinel

@crazyleaves said:

@nintendoeats

Thanks for the update. I will say again that FFXIII was pretty rad. They should drop the kids.
    Nope.avi
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arker101

@Animasta said:

@Arker101 said:

@I_smell said:

What kind of Battle system would you use? I am not the hugest J-RPG fan, but Chrono Triggers take on the classic turn based formula was always neat to me.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Animasta

@Arker101 said:

@Animasta said:

@Arker101 said:

@I_smell said:

What kind of Battle system would you use? I am not the hugest J-RPG fan, but Chrono Triggers take on the classic turn based formula was always neat to me.

they've been innovating for a while, and hell, if you really need your turn based needs met, there is always persona and SMT. If I could have them do anything I would want something more like X-2, because it was pretty complicated while also being easy to learn.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Arker101

@Animasta: I liked the endurance run, but otherwise, I can't stand the Persona series(I really only know about #4). I just am not a fan of the "Being in school and socializing" aspect of it. No Idea what SMT is. I am extremely ignorant of some J-RPG games. X-2s system is all right.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Completely tear down and rebuild the combat system again. FFXII and XIII introduced some interesting ideas, but ultimately it's a system that I hate having to use.

Taking control away from the player, and making the friendly AI deliberately bad in order to force the player to unlock better routines? Honestly, who thought that was a good, fun design choice?

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Adamsons

Just re add the overworld with airships, for the love of God.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Animasta

@Arker101 said:

@Animasta: I liked the endurance run, but otherwise, I can't stand the Persona series(I really only know about #4). I just am not a fan of the "Being in school and socializing" aspect of it. No Idea what SMT is. I am extremely ignorant of some J-RPG games. X-2s system is all right.

Shin Megami Tensei? the series persona spawned off from? (and the only ones who have the being in school system is 3 and 4, the others don't)

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By I_smell
    @Animasta: @Arker101: I liked everything about the fighting in FF12. It was still kind-of like all the other Final Fantasy games, but it didn't feel like 3 guys standing in a row picking options in boxes, it felt more free than that.
    Obv I hated all the people, but I've talked a load about that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.