Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

To FF fans, what do you want after FF15 & FF7?

• 88 results
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

The thing I always really liked about the series is the fact that they pretty much start from scratch every time. New world, new characters, new story, and new systems. I'm really happy for ppl that love FF7 'cause Square's finally doing something for, imo, one of the most exploited fanbase of any franchises and I'll surely play it. However, in an industry with so few sure bets, FF7 Remake is one of the surest bets and I'm kinda afraid it's going to set SE in the path of prolonged remakes.

I would like to see a FF16 but I'm wondering what you think. Remake of (insert #) or get back to creating something fresh?

Somnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Maybe a return to the more old school style of Final Fantasy. Imagine something like FFIV but with modern graphics. Either that or something completely different. It would be cool to see if they ever do anything with that Agni's Philosophy technical demo.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I definitely do not in any way never ever want a remake of FFVII. Hell I don't want remakes or remasters in general.

ImmanuelKant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Granblue Fantasy for Vita.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Belegorm

Dramatically better character designs would go a long way for me at least

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

FF16 with a Japanese Europe aesthetic (like Professor Layton or Howl's Moving Castle) or FF4 remake.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm happy (at least currently) about the FF VII remake, but I really don't want any other game in the series getting remade too.

I'd like it if they did something new and not used the FF XIII to FF XV (I obviously have only played the demo yet, so who really knows) combat mechanics, since I think those are the weakest in the series so date. If they really want to go into a more action oriented way they should just steal heavily from the Tales or Star Ocean series.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By pr1mus

To give the reins to someone new. Someone with minimal involvement with FF in general and the FFs of the Tetsuya Nomura era in particular. New and fresh ideas. Starting with the character design.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By monetarydread

A 3D re-imagining of Chrono Trigger. Get Nomura to Moe the fuck out of that game, new battle system, new music, remove XP and levelling, alter the story so it has some new surprises along the way, and make Chrono a girl.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That FFXII re-release that was rumored.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Teddie

Another throwback sort of thing like FF9 was. Bravely Default seemed like a step in the right direction, but FF9 was so good because it was a throwback without actually being just one of those older games, whereas BD seems like it was just straight up aping the SNES era in too many aspects. They'll never make a game like that with a mainline Final Fantasy budget ever again though, so...

@paulmako said:

That FFXII re-release that was rumored.

Also, this.
    Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
    chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see another main series title with Hiroyuki Ito at the helm.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By CaLe

Something set in a Deus-Ex like world where there's a division between pure humans and augmented humans, in a world where the singularity is looming and instead of religions people affiliate with Augcorps that specialize in different types of augmentations. You play as a detective who has been hired by the head of one of the Augcorps, Slizer Corp., who wants to know who murdered him. You see, in this world humans have the ability to back themselves up to via a cortical stack implant in the base of their brains which can easily be transferred to new bodies, but it's currently only available to a select few. The man who hires you is one of those few, and since he only has memories since his last back up he has no idea who murdered him, or why. It turns out you were the one who killed him, but the current you has no memory of why you did it as you were also murdered and only have memory from before the events that led to you murdering him. You find this out around midway through the game, and everything from there just gets ILLUMINATI and shit. You know, like CONSPIRACY stuff.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A re-release of every single Super Nintendo Final Fantasy game in one console package. It'll never happen.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5.

No! That should happen long before either game comes out!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want an old school turned based ATB combat with random encounters dammit. Give me a modern looking game with the old systems. Something link Lost Odyssey minus the timing attack mechanic of Legend of Dragoon. Which were both also great games. But I want to play a game like FF4-9. I miss that combat. Turn based with some crazy element.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

Dramatically better character designs would go a long way for me at least

Same. I want Tetsuya Nomura to be replaced.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Seikenfreak

I want it kinda brought back to some of its roots like FF9 did. An aesthetic style similar to FF14 is your modern FF equivalent. And that's a phenomenal MMO but a lot of people won't give it the time of day because of this. So make a single player FF game in that world. All the classic FF elements. No weird sci-fi far-futuristic-y or super detailed human teenagers driving electric Audi's or space ships. Just good ol high-fantasy with Knights, Wizards, magic and steampunk.

Or if that is not financially feasible (which it totally is but they don't think people like this stuff anymore) then make an old school, super detailed sprite based version of what was said above with great production values, music, and world scale and sell it for $20-40 as a digital title. And don't make it for phones.

Or a new Tactics game.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want FFX-2 to get the same Remake treatment as FF7. And lest you think that a joke, let it be known I had started severeal billion times that X-2 is my favorite Final Fantasy game. That said, I am well aware that there is literally no chance for my wish to come true, but I can dream, can't i?

Other than that, I don't know what I want from them aside wanting them to move on from Lightning and XIII (which was in my opinion, quite the low point for the franchise), but they're doing/have done that already soooooooo...

chuck_schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think after so many years and so many characters, it would be cool if there was more digging into cross-overs with the characters, but maybe a more mainline entry rather than something like Dissidia. I'm sure some would view that as sacrilege but if done with some true heart I think that could be great. Also needs to have an Uematsu soundtrack!

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new Tactics game.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

New aesthetics would be the biggest one for me. I'm cool with combat systems changing as they've already made a break from the ATB system, so refining the existing "new Coke" stuff or surprising me again would be rad. Personally, I'm most interested in Nomura passing the reigns to somebody else.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#24 MattyFTM  Moderator

I want a FF VIII remake. Not because I actually want to play that game, I just want to be able to make @zombiepie suffer through it for a second time.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new tactics game would be nice and not for handhelds, also not part of the advance series.

Oh and a FF8 remake just for funsies.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ATBs. I liked them. I liked being able to control all party member's actions.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Final Fantasy 8 had a story that was nonsensical and wacky, but that world design was pretty cool.

PMC's getting trained at rivaling schools,doing missions out in the world. Seifer's squad being the mirror image of Squall's group. Gunblades.

Or just get back to that vibe that Final Fantasy 6 nailed from the start. That mech march through the snow immediatly set the tone.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why have a Koei's Warrior series and FF not have a collaborations yet? After DQ Heroes, if they go all the way with the rpg elements and the party mechanics, put in as many FF character as they can. I will pay 150 USD for that game.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: FF6 is, hands down, my favorite FF game and it always makes me sad that it doesn't ever get the attention the other games have gotten in the past.

After 15 and 7 though? I don't know. FF16? Also, I'm on board with a Dynasty Warriors Final Fantasy game. It will be dumb and I'll love it because I loved Dissidia and that game is dumb (very interested in the new Arcade version)

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Bravely Default game

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new Tactics game. If not I want something really similar to VI. I consider FFVI to be the greatest JRPG ever created.

I would say Persona 5, but it's coming out far before those 2 FF's =P.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god, I didn't even consider a Final Fantasy Musou game. That would be the dopest shit. Lulu, Tifa, Paine, and Fran all on the same screen? Any other time I see all of them together, it's followed by shame shortly after...

NoMoreMutants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe a mix of 8 and Tactics? I really like bits of 8, especially the 1st disk and all the school stuff. A game set in a Garden or something similar where you played mercenary in training teenagers who go out on missions with combat similar to tactics or maybe XCOM could be really cool!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By ArtisanBreads

A new FFT in the style of the original for the love of god that isn't for handhelds. Makes so much sense these days. That genre has grown a lot and they could capitalize if they put it out on PC and consoles. They made mobile versions of XCOM even so I'm sure they could do something that could scale.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I want to see a big budget turn based game. Dragon Quest 11 might be that game, though.

I don't know. I would like to see Square do something radically different with the series.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I want a current gen technically Final Fantasy with black and white mages and all that good old stuff.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

new final fantasy tactics (advance)

also final fantasy tactics advance on VC.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something that isn't a phone game.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#39 ZombiePie  Staff

WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYONE NAME DROPPING FINAL FANTASY VIII IN THIS THREAD?!?!?!

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY?!

WHY?!

DID I NOT DIE FOR YOUR SINS, AND REMIND YOU WHY THAT GAME SHOULD NEVER BE REPEATED?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kishinfoulux

Final Fantasy VXI.

As for what it is I don't know, but as long as it's nothing like FFIX or FFXII I'm golden.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: Right?...that's probably my favorite one

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: FF8 is loved in the same way MGS is loved. Also you can completely manipulate the mechanic of that game and become godly within 1 hour into the game. I love game that give you that option. Also while the Laguna section are boring as hell, Laguna himself is/was great.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeffrud said:

New aesthetics would be the biggest one for me. I'm cool with combat systems changing as they've already made a break from the ATB system, so refining the existing "new Coke" stuff or surprising me again would be rad. Personally, I'm most interested in Nomura passing the reigns to somebody else.

I think this is pretty much the only thing that I want to happen as a definite.

Personally I wold love to see them keep the same production values they have now and yet back far away from realism.

As an old school FF fan and someone who is not a fan of the new stuff, I also think they should cut ties with a lot of the stuff the game is built on. They are no longer respecting it and "riffing" on it has long overstayed it's welcome. (For instance, having attacks that shoot numbers all over the place like a geyser to make something look "badass", riffing on the concept of numbers popping up in earlier FF games when it actually meant something.)

The postmodern FF games (Post X, really) all seemed to be playing with people expectations on what FF is, but you can only "remix" so long before the original content is so muddied and so far from relevant than you just need to start fresh.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Devil240Z

ff9 2

I dont' like the leather fetish FF games.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FF16

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#46  Edited By Slag

I just want to go back to doing something new like they typically have done while keeping the core identity of the franchise in tact.

I.e. A new core numbered entry, a true Final Fantasy XVI

I'd love if FF could figure out how to take the series to VR, just to see what that would even be. But there is a lot of hardware issues and game design I think that need to sorted out first.

I don't mind a remake of Vii since it's arguably the game that needs one the most (outside of 3, which definitely benefited a ton from its remake) and the fans really want to see. But I'd be super sad if Square just kept going to that well the way Resident Evil seems to be of late

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wchigo

@zombiepie said:

WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYONE NAME DROPPING FINAL FANTASY VIII IN THIS THREAD?!?!?!

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY?!

WHY?!

DID I NOT DIE FOR YOUR SINS, AND REMIND YOU WHY THAT GAME SHOULD NEVER BE REPEATED?

Everyone most certainly did not name drop Final Fantasy VIII in this thread... but everyone SHOULD HAVE!!!. ;)

On-topic: I would want a new game, but I can't necessarily tell you what I want out of it. I just want a new setting with a new story and new characters. I'm not the biggest VII fan around (honestly, IX was probably my favourite of the PSone games) but I am irrationally excited by the remake after watching the new trailer and I am still quite highly anticipating XV. And while I played Crisis Core and really enjoyed it, I hope they don't go back to the well with VII after the remake. (I know my hopes are in vain.)

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A new Final Fantasy Tactics with the same tone, political backstacking, and probably in the same world. It would of course be a tactical RPG like the original FFT and no it would be NOTHING LIKE XCOM THAT GAME WAS GARBAGE.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New tactics game for Vita or 3DS and a new old school style game.

FFXVI, something new and different as all the main numbered ones seem to be

FFV remake please, totes the best one

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GiantLizardKing

Make a game that looks like an Amano Design come to life.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.