Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fire Emblem Engage

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jan 20, 2023

A thousand years after being sealed away, the Fell Dragon has returned to destroy Elyos. Alear and a new cast of heroes enlist the help of legends from other Fire Emblem worlds to help them defeat the dragon once and for all.

This game looks pretty good and what are your thoughts on this?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Dear tactical role-playing game fans

When I was watching the trailer via Nintendo Direct, the gameplay, battle animation and graphics look pretty good for this genre and the Nintendo Switch standards, I can also see Marth appears in this game, so this makes me hope to see Lucina appear in this game, plus I'm impressed with the game's UI design too.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2 FinalDasa  Moderator

I'm really impressed with the graphical improvements they've made. It looks like the battle zoom-ins reflect the surrounding of the map.

I still want to know if the Three Houses improvement system carries over and how it's structured.

Also....I really want more Three Houses games. Not a totally new story with every game.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

just to echo what i said on the talk-over video-

i think this looks really impressive! i just hope the story is as multifaceted as Three Houses.

...cuz if it's just another good v. bad with a ton of callbacks to earlier games...i worry all that will be lost on me (Three Houses was my first FE).

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

It looks nice and I'm always down for more Fire Emblem.

However, I will agree with what @mellotronrules is saying in hoping that this game doesn't lean too much into the nostalgia of older Fire Emblem games. I want this game to be able to stand on the strength of its own characters and story and not fall into the trap of so many Koei Tecmo musou crossover games where it all just feels like bad fanfiction.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It has some nice-looking flourishes around the edges, but some of the character design doesn't immediately speak to me. I also just don't think I'm looking for a new Fire Emblem game right now anyways. I still haven't finished Three Houses, and there's a handful of older virtual console games I haven't started.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I'm STILL playing "Three Hopes," and honestly "Three Houses" is still my favorite of the series, so I'm not sure how much this speaks to me. Though at this point, I have a lot of faith in this Musou spinoff games, so I'm perfectly willing to give it a shot.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont own a switch, but the complaints I hear of the hardware is that its getting up there in age. With the way this game looks, is the frame rates I saw in the trailer legit?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I only want crossover in Musou, I don't wanna summon Marth in a regular Fire Emblem.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It looks good, and I'll probably end up getting it eventually.

That said, it is... Interesting to me that they seem to keep coming back to the nostalgia mine/the idea of new characters summoning previous characters into battle. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is the obvious parallel, but I'd say they're also doing it with the Fire Emblem Heroes mobile game that's still running. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but I do think its interesting how it's happened at least 3 times now.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @harinosho said:

I dont own a switch, but the complaints I hear of the hardware is that its getting up there in age. With the way this game looks, is the frame rates I saw in the trailer legit?

The best looking parts of this trailer are cutscenes that will likely actually be pre-rendered video in the game - probably using the same in-game assets just rendered at a higher resolution with some actual anti-aliasing applied. However, the performance and graphics seem solid in the gameplay segments as well.

The performance in Three Hopes is pretty solid, so hopefully some of those same lessons went into this. They're different types of games, but clearly have shared DNA from collaboration within Koei Tecmo.

It also looks like they've removed the battalions that were featured in Three Houses which I assume helps them out on the performance side since they don't have to draw those additional units.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BisonHero

@mindbullet: Yeah, I’m also worried about the nostalgia mine. It feels like they’re still chained to the idea of getting new players into the series via Smash fans, and all those people know is that they like Marth (and maybe Roy/Ike/Robin/Byleth)?

I just can’t imagine that many fans worldwide have any real attachment to most of the old characters, but maybe I’m dead wrong. I just think the sales/general awareness of the series got a GBA sales boost courtesy of Smash Bros Melee, then maybe kinda fell off for a few years, and then the series was getting pretty niche internationally until Awakening exploded for whatever right time/right place reasons. Awakening is the starting point for the vast majority of current players, and it was already the “pastiche of previous FE games” game, given its very standard storyline and references to Marth. And the DLC was a lot of past characters as well. I don’t need that again, especially with Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Fire Emblem Heroes and Fire Emblem Warriors all mining existing character nostalgia.

I’d rather they just do original games like Fates (failed experiment, but at least they tried something) and Three Houses (resounding success even if I don’t love some of the mechanics). If they’re gonna dig into the archives of nostalgia, I’d rather they do more stuff like FE Echoes on the 3DS where they remade a Famicom FE in a sorta interesting way, but maybe that sells terribly. I really don’t need them to trot out old characters yet again in what appears to be a mainline new entry.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Firstly, here is the English version of the trailer.

Secondly... I think Three Houses largely succeeded at what it was trying to do... but also I am not interested in more "Persona but with too-easy Fire Emblem attached". That's what rescued this franchise from becoming dormant, and I honestly did enjoy that aspect of Awakening a lot more than I expected to, but Fates and Three Houses didn't really work for me as well. This trailer doesn't focus on the "social link" aspect of the other recent games, but Nintendo would be crazy to not make it a big focus of the game since that's what seems to have sold lots of copies of Awakening and Three Houses. And that means I'm probably not all that interested.

...I should probably dig that copy of Shadows of Valentia back out, that game was good and I never finished it.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

I really hate to be the one to bring it up, but someone has to say it: the main character in this game looks too similar to the Nintendo Switch-Chan meme. Maybe it's because both are riffing on the launch Switch color palette, but the similarity is to the point that it's the only thing I think of when watching the trailer. I can never play this game.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

I feel like I would be more into the premise of this if it wasn’t the exact same premise as the awful mobile game.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange that they implement a game mechanic of using past lords from past Fire Emblem games from Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I almost thought this game was a spin-off series rather a mainline game until I saw the actual gameplay, the maps, and the tactical rpg elements.

When I learned the avatar character was designed by Vtuber Mika Pikazo (see ANN link https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2022-09-13/vtuber-designer-mika-pikazo-created-the-new-fire-emblem-protagonists/.189646), it made sense why I saw a Vtuber vibe.

I can see why folks like it or dislike this latest Fire Emblem Avatar.

I hope they bring back the Trial Map, the post game content from Path of Radiance.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

I feel like I would be more into the premise of this if it wasn’t the exact same premise as the awful mobile game.

Oh, are you referring to Fire Emblem Heroes for mobile phones?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

From what I understand, this game is meant to celebrate the 30th anniversary, which is why they're leaning so hard on the nostalgia angle. I'm all for letting you summon every single blue-haired Fire Emblem lord and also Leif as stands as long as the tactics are good. One of my big problems with Three Houses was how absurdly easy most of the maps were until the back half of the game, even on Hard mode... and that's not even getting into the persona-lite elements outstaying their welcome by the end.

Of course, given that the leak which confirmed this game a few months back also confirmed a genealogy remake, I guess I'm fine either way.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.