Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Firefall

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 29, 2014

Firefall is a massively multiplayer online role-player game with action-based combat that can be played from a third- or a first-person perspective. It's a free-to-play game with a sci-fi theme that pits mechanized humans in battle armor against alien invaders.

Borderlands and StarCraft made a baby!

Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Southgrove

This is the first free-to-play MMO ever to catch my eye! Actually looks decent... will give it a try, for sure!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FunExplosions

...I was just gonna ask if you were gonna try this out.

Finscher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Finscher

Not everything has to be a derivative of something else, yanno. Borderlands didn't even have its cel-shaded look by the time this game's art style was decided upon. I'll grant you the StarCraft thing though, what with the former Blizzard dudes.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

Lame. I was hoping for a proper FPS/RTS hybrid with role-playing elements. Way to let me down.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187
    @Bentjacket said:
    " Not everything has to be a derivative of something else, yanno. Borderlands didn't even have its cel-shaded look by the time this game's art style was decided upon. I'll grant you the StarCraft thing though, what with the former Blizzard dudes. "
    Dood, the game is a cel-shaded shooter with inward moving HUD elements...just like Borderlands...and uses a font very similar to the Starcraft font for its logo as well as offer a world that looks very much like something from Starcraft. 

If it's one thing I can't stand, it's when someone lists two amazing games as a source of "this is what this game is looking like" and people complain that they are talking down about it or something.  Dead Space is basically Resident Evil 4 and Event Horizon, and it's not a bad thing.  Borderlands is Diablo meets Call of Duty, and that's not a bad thing.  Monday Night Combat is Team Fortress 2 meets Defense of the Ancients, and that's not a bad thing.  What's the big deal with someone saying "hey, this game is like this and that"? 

If anything, I wouldn't have known about this game at all if this thread saying it was like Borderlands meets Starcraft.  Now I'm super interested.  See how that "derivative" stuff can work out in a game's favor?
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jkz

Actually, it's from some of the Tribes guys, so I'd say it more closely resembles those games (which is awesome, mind you).

Finscher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Finscher
    @jakob187 said:

" @Bentjacket said:

" Not everything has to be a derivative of something else, yanno. Borderlands didn't even have its cel-shaded look by the time this game's art style was decided upon. I'll grant you the StarCraft thing though, what with the former Blizzard dudes. "
    Dood, the game is a cel-shaded shooter with inward moving HUD elements...just like Borderlands...and uses a font very similar to the Starcraft font for its logo as well as offer a world that looks very much like something from Starcraft.  If it's one thing I can't stand, it's when someone lists two amazing games as a source of "this is what this game is looking like" and people complain that they are talking down about it or something.  Dead Space is basically Resident Evil 4 and Event Horizon, and it's not a bad thing.  Borderlands is Diablo meets Call of Duty, and that's not a bad thing.  Monday Night Combat is Team Fortress 2 meets Defense of the Ancients, and that's not a bad thing.  What's the big deal with someone saying "hey, this game is like this and that"?  If anything, I wouldn't have known about this game at all if this thread saying it was like Borderlands meets Starcraft.  Now I'm super interested.  See how that "derivative" stuff can work out in a game's favor? "
    Er... I never actually said that being derivative was a bad thing. Didn't mean to imply it either. Communication fail on my part, I guess. I just wanted to point out that the art design was apparently decided upon when Borderlands was still going for the full-on realism approach. (i.e.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSvTqfmv3DE ) That being said, I would happily concede that they probably grabbed the HUD concepts from Borderlands (or whoever actually did it first if it wasn't Gearbox.) I was assuming that the TC was making the analogy between FireFall and Borderlands due to the cel-shaded style they had going on rather than a mechanical reason. May as well say that Borderlands was derivative of XIII, which is kind of a weak claim.

Also, the font is not the reason I believe it to be derivative of StarCraft. I believe the font is derivative of StarCraft's font, but that has nothing to do with the game itself.
    Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Budwyzer

Game looks cool.    

( I don't think anyone can get offended and start an argument over that statement.)

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icemo

@Budwyzer said:

Game looks cool. ( I don't think anyone can get offended and start an argument over that statement.)

No worries and just express yourself openly. Just avoid a selected few touchy subjects if you don't want to get into arguments and you will be fine. I think that GB has fairly friendly forums compared to most of the internet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.