Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Firewatch

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 09, 2016

A first-person mystery set in the Wyoming wilderness developed by Campo Santo, where the protagonist's only lifeline, emotionally and physically speaking, is the person on the other end of a handheld radio.

So, Wapiti (SPOILERS AFOOT)

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Consider the whole game spoiled here on in. You have been warned.

So Ned Goodwin is responsible for all of the creepiness throughout the game, and I thought that was a disturbing yet genuinely sad twist, but Wapiti Site is still somewhat of a mystery to me. Goodwin didn't just procure all that tech, that tent, and the dozens of metres of fencing without dropping a lot of dough, let along without going to town. If it was a scientific survey, Delilah had no clue of its existence prior to Henry's discovery of it and it was much bigger than usual.

I'm not disappointed that this wasn't elaborated on--it's kind of neat that there's a bit of mystery remaining--but how do you think that was all there, and why?

ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you look around Ned's bunker you'll see notes alluding to the scientists returning on August 10th, and a reminder to himself to return stolen equipment before that date.

As for Delilah not knowing about it, who knows? Maybe she was told and just forgot, or the park rangers didn't deem it necessary for her to know.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Consider the whole game spoiled here on in. You have been warned.

So Ned Goodwin is responsible for all of the creepiness throughout the game, and I thought that was a disturbing yet genuinely sad twist, but Wapiti Site is still somewhat of a mystery to me. Goodwin didn't just procure all that tech, that tent, and the dozens of metres of fencing without dropping a lot of dough, let along without going to town. If it was a scientific survey, Delilah had no clue of its existence prior to Henry's discovery of it and it was much bigger than usual.

I'm not disappointed that this wasn't elaborated on--it's kind of neat that there's a bit of mystery remaining--but how do you think that was all there, and why?

If i remember correctly they mention that it falls in a valley, which is unseen from the lookout towers, hence why Delilah didn't know about it. I found the Wapiti section is where the game started to lose me a bit, where it started wrapping up a bit too quickly.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The research station was for tracking elk. You can find a dead elk wearing w tracking collar. Ned had nothing to do with it, but figured out that the researchers would be gone for awhile.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I adored the game, but it did strike me as a little odd how Henry looked at the Wapiti documents and didn't immediately realize they were tracking animals. I mean, the main document that makes him shout about how they were definitely tracking him had some really obvious animal-tracking language on it. Things like 'food intake', 'ranging', and stuff like that. Though I guess the game might have been making a point about the depth of Henry and Delilah's paranoia. It still took me out of Henry's shoes a little bit.

Kouvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Kouvero

@moregrammarplz: The paranoia aspect is a good point. Henry keeps coming across as a slightly paranoid/jealous/cowardly personality, and tends to be more often the one who drags the other one along to his imaginations. People have been complaining about how the one conversation he overhears when Delilah accidentally leaves her radio on is not explained. To me that also seems more like a way to make Henry once again seem like the paranoid/jealous type, and in the end it doesn't really matter what Delilah was talking about with the other person, because it was most likely nothing relevant in my opinion. He just imagined it as something suspicious, and it's there more to say something about him rather than some plot-related issue per se. There's also the part in the beginning where he has the option to get mad at his wife for coming home late etc.

Considering the end of the game, I feel like he has a lot more personal growth to do, and doesn't really deserve to meet Delilah while having not resolved his marital issues, even though the romantic moments in the game feel really authentic. In all bleakness it can be seen as kind of satisfying and a cue for him to man up, which of course can be a difficult view to take when you're supposed to be playing in Henry's shoes.

Avatar image for theegravedigger
    TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I liked the theory that Delilah is just a pathological liar. She can see if from her cabin, but it's more interesting not to tell him that.

jayc4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Could the case be made for the fact that before Henry came out to Two Forks, he pretty much became an alcoholic purely as a coping mechanism to get away from having to deal with his wife's Alzheimer's? I'd imagine the paranoia might be a bad side effect of him going off alcohol cold-turkey and taking up the post. You never see any booze in Henry's tower, after all (aside from the bottle of whiskey if you stole it from the teens on Day 1).

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By youeightit

I thought Wapiti station was the most poorly handled part of this game. I know everything everybody else knows at this point about Ned, the animal tracking, Henry and Delilah's complicated personalities, etc. but the more I think of Wapiti Station, the more I wish the developers would have done something differently. I can't put my finger on what they should have changed, but I think they could have kept all the details of the story in place and still handled it better. Maybe underplayed Ned's boogeyman personality? Maybe not clearly spelled out the explanation? I can't point to what I would change, for some reason. I can say though that, when the game is in one of the more tense spots, Delilah says pretty casually something to the effect of "oh yeah, the teen girls are alive and in jail. Anyway..." and I remember how much that line took me out of the immersion, and I think my feelings about that small bit of poorly handled expository dialogue does a lot to explain my feeling of why Wapiti Station missed the landing. Some things just could have been better.

All that said, I thought the game was about 75% fantastic. PS4 technical issues aside.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking if they took that station out or kept it separate from the main thread, how the story could've been handled. You'd need to direct the player to the cave, Ned's bunker, the camera, etc... Allowing the player to wander off and discover it themselves leads to a very disjointed narrative. Not sure this game needed a threat or, if it did, it was certainly the one thing this game mishandled. Actually, scratch that. You're alone in the woods. That's the place your mind would go to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.