Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Firewatch

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 09, 2016

A first-person mystery set in the Wyoming wilderness developed by Campo Santo, where the protagonist's only lifeline, emotionally and physically speaking, is the person on the other end of a handheld radio.

That intro... (Intro spoilers only)

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Wow. Literally had to put the controller down to collect myself. Think I'm done with this game for the night.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yea. Talk about a kick in the balls to start off. Kind of like the beginning of Up.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

It's very creative and well done for sure. Unfortunately I don't feel the rest of game holds up its end of the bargain.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#4 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Brought back painful memories of my grandmother. I think the reason it hit me so hard is because I pretty much did the same thing, though to a far lesser extent.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By skyline7284

It's a real shame to have to open with that sequence, because it makes it impossible for the rest of the game to live up to. The game is fantastic, but that opening brought me feelings unlike anything I've played outside of that part in the walking dead season 1 episode 3 (which shares the same writer).

General_Desire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By General_Desire

I nearly shed some tears.

mjbrune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I hugged my wife after playing through the intro.

The following are major completely game breaking end game spoilers:

A lot of people say the rest of the game doesn't live up to the intro and I played through it once but I feel like there might be something more than just the linear game we saw. Has anyone tried to grab the cave key on the second or third day? I feel like you could probably discover that body fairly early on.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I felt the intro was a little heavy handed. I would have rather have had Henry's backstory revealed throughout the game. It would have had more time to build instead of dumping all that information on the player within the first 5 mins. I've had family members struggle with that disease and I wasn't as much affected as I was put off.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man, just played the intro, what a fucking gutpunch.

studying to be a nurse and seeing the effects of dementia so very frequently, this kind of hit close.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I was my Dad's carer for 3 years when he was diagnosed with Alzheimers. This intro really hit home for me.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GabrielCantor

@subyman said:

I felt the intro was a little heavy handed. I would have rather have had Henry's backstory revealed throughout the game. It would have had more time to build instead of dumping all that information on the player within the first 5 mins. I've had family members struggle with that disease and I wasn't as much affected as I was put off.

I felt this way too. Honestly, I've never been a fan of this style of intro (see: Up and Finding Nemo's is almost similar), and if I'd known the game was gonna pull that out of the gate (as opposed to the general tone I'd gotten from other stuff I'd seen) I may not have bought it.

I also currently have a family member going through this and it just felt like a "LOOK HOW SAD THIS IS" moment.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mjbrune said:

Honestly I hugged my wife after playing through the intro.

The following are major completely game breaking end game spoilers:

A lot of people say the rest of the game doesn't live up to the intro and I played through it once but I feel like there might be something more than just the linear game we saw. Has anyone tried to grab the cave key on the second or third day? I feel like you could probably discover that body fairly early on.

I'm afraid it's as linear as everyone says. You can't get to the spot where the key is 'till the plot progresses to that point. I'm not even sure how you'd continue the game from that? Definetly not by just them going on about their business for those remaining +70 days.

The intro definitely was a gut-wrenching one for me as well, which was a nice feat with how simplistic it was presented.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yah..

Is it still considered politically in-correct by people to use my reaction to the opening along with the phrase "trigger warning?". Cause holy crap. It seems like everyone else got to continue on with the game, and good I'd rather people not have the same issue I do, but wow.

I think the 8 mins steam shows my having played this will be all it will ever show. But hey, I want games like this made so uh..I guess I tossed in money for the next game they make and/or the next game like it.

Isn't that bad for everyone else but man..just. Man.

Avatar image for mechamarshmallow
    MechaMarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a player who is receptive to emotional stimuli, but even from that perspective I think the intro was great. I feel like it did a truly amazing job of conveying to the player who Henry is as a person, not just in what happened to him but also the limitations on choices you can make. Sure, there's some wriggle room in how you can have him act, but just as much is conveyed by the answers you can't give. You absolutely can't have him move across the country for Julia's job. I felt like I had a stark impression of just who he was and where he was coming from by the end, and going into the meat of the game I had some firm opinions about him just from that stuff alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.