Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 12, 2013

The fast-paced Musou-style legend of the post-apocalyptic savior Kenshiro returns to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original manga its based on.

Anyone going to play this?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I got the original for 10 bucks on Amazon about a year ago and it was really great for being a Koei Musou game (and for being 10 bucks); typically these series are all pretty good in their original rendition and only start to get terrible after they've remade the same game over and over (the less characters there are the more unique and interesting each one is, Samurai Warriors and XL being the peak of Musou). A notable exception is Kessen, wherein every game was progressively better and the third one is still one of the best non turn based strategy games out there. But man, the cutscenes and music in this were pretty awesome throughout, as were the boss fights; obviously the core gameplay against minions was your standard repetitive affair. I probably won't buy this for 60 and there's no retail release so it won't crash pricewise but I am curious to hear opinions on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJI6c9LcjWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuKK2hrt70A

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By EarlessShrimp

Never heard of this.... That's my opinion thus far and I think I'll avoid it until it's cheaper as per your suggestion! But it definitely sounds sale purchase worthy

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The best part is this is essentially the original popular anime/manga and the characters all look like huge manly badass 80's movie stars; even stuff that has derided into shit and perversion usually had something good about it way back when.

Chucklestyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Chucklestyle

I played the first to 1000GS completion and pre-ordered the second.

I regret nothing except selling my copy of the first one when I was broke. This one covers all of that game's ground and more, so I don't feel I'm ultimately losing anything though.

I plan to crack it open this weekend with a friend. My home will be full of AAAAAATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Let me know how many dudes Raoh can explode in one move; what could be better?

@Chucklestyle: All of the awesomeness of the first game condensed into one video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg3fMdIRlJk

Though it doesn't have Raoh one shotting the player in a boss fight sadly

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cikame

I like Dynasty Warriors and really like doing the ATATATATA moves so the first game was fun for me, i even recorded my own crappy version of the character select music.

I didn't finish the first game as much as i could and the sequel seems to borrow alot from the first, so i'll probably just go back and play that.

Avatar image for nostalgicshakedown
    NostalgicShakedown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As a huge Fist of the North Star fan, I'm getting it (well already played the Japanese version), and they've added a lot to this one than the last game like more characters and more of the manga is covered in this game. If you're into 3rd person brawlers who just love destroying waves of enemies, this game will be for you. It also has online co-op and versus mode (but need to check if you can beat up the other team as I think it might not be the case).

all look like huge manly badass 80's movie stars". I mean also, you get to play as an American fighter/boxer.

Ein, the American fighter
    Ein, the American fighter
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Question: Does this use a combo system like the Dynasty Warriors series used to or does it use that awful infinite combo bullshit?

NostalgicShakedown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played Dynasty warriors but if by infinite you mean "it's a huge combo string going non-stop", then no it doesn't have that as in the combos stop eventually. Juuza even has a third attack button that can be used on enemies in the combo.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@NostalgicShakedown said:

I haven't played Dynasty warriors but if by infinite you mean "it's a huge combo string going non-stop", then no it doesn't have that as in the combos stop eventually. Juuza even has a third attack button that can be used on enemies in the combo.

oh okay that's good.

I know as of I guess the last numbered game they changed it from something like "X X X Y" or "X Y" , all having different results to this string where you can just hit X indefinitely and add in Y attacks and it just to me lost all the strategy. Not sure if they stuck with it after that.

I was a DW guy and supporter for a long time but their refusal to really flesh things out for so long and then their awful way of having two different upgrade versions after the fact basically killed it for me.

Maybe I'll check this out.

NostalgicShakedown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ArtisanBreads said:

@NostalgicShakedown said:

oh okay that's good.

I know as of I guess the last numbered game they changed it from something like "X X X Y" or "X Y" , all having different results to this string where you can just hit X indefinitely and add in Y attacks and it just to me lost all the strategy. Not sure if they stuck with it after that.

The new characters have that mixture definitely. As for the original characters, they do have that X X X Y or X Y combos but I think there's a strategy in choosing the right combo to stun some of the bigger enemies. Either way the quick look will be coming soon, but if it's any indication of when they did the Quick Look for the first game, I'm not sure if the GB crew would be excited for it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

This is about the time where I miss

NostalgicShakedown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Demoskinos: Is Jay a fan of Fist of the North Star?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

@NostalgicShakedown: Jay was a poster here for while and he was rather....fanatical and got way to overexcited about things. I do believe he eventually got banned however. If you were around on the forums when Jay was on them you'd know who he was.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Demoskinos said:

@NostalgicShakedown: Jay was a poster here for while and he was rather....fanatical and got way to overexcited about things. I do believe he eventually got banned however. If you were around on the forums when Jay was on them you'd know who he was.

He came back on an alt account to do a blog about binary domain but then disappeared again

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikeGosot

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Demoskinos said:

He came back on an alt account to do a blog about binary domain but then disappeared again

He was banned again, but i dunno why.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru

Sorry, I'm currently saving up my tolerence for the genre for this game:

Who knows, it might not be completely terrible.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#18  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I've always liked the DW games so I'm most likely going to pick this up fairly soon. The first game in this series was also quite fun and I actually got a platinum in it. I guess beating up random guys over and over never gets old for me.

ShowaRDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By ShowaRDM

@JackSukeru: It seems alright to me. Then again I'm a giant Kamen Rider dude.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By jacksukeru

@ShowaRDM: So you are Kamen Rider Core?

Lame jokes aside, while I am a big fan of Kamen Rider, and as such my standards for gameplay are lower if I'm just looking for a fan-service product, I have yet to try a single Kamen Rider game. The reason is simply being that they all seem terrible to the point where I wouldn't enjoy them even as fan service.

Now the idea of making a DW-esque Kamen Rider game, on the other hand, seems really perfect for what I'm looking for in a game like this. Fan service with passable gameplay, lots of dudes to beat up on with regular attacks as well as the occasional finisher and the ability to play as your favorite characters. Sold!

I have limited experience with DW games though and they can be grindy which is why I'm catious. there's also not a lot of gameplay shown in that trailer. I'd like to think that there is some minimum standard for the quality of a Dynasty Warriors-ified game but I honeslty don't know one way or the other. At least this is on PS3.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By TheHT

I liked the first one enough to platinum it, but I'm not particularly interested in doing it all again.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By soldierg654342

I have my doubts now. It's download only on the PS3, so the price is never going to be reasonable enough short of it being a PS+ freebie/discount. Plus it just looks like a much worse game than the first.

The second part of the series is total garbage so I don't care about any of the characters from it. All I want is Jagi's Dream Mode...and to play as Shuu....and Juza. But I'm not going to pay $60 for that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Demoskinos said:

Creating an alt account to get around a ban is in itself a bannable offense.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@SoldierG654342: I don't think it looks "much worse" it just looks more or less identical with slight changes to the combat (though the levelling system in the QL seems to be much less interesting) and no english voice acting (which for me is kind of a killer, as the VO was pretty solid in the first one); you're definitely right about the pricing though.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By soldierg654342

@Fredchuckdave: Some things just look super sloppy to me, most of them being in service if "speeding up gameplay," a stated goal of the developers. They don't seemed to have added many new enemy models, so the increased numbers makes it readily apparent that you are killing the same four dudes over and over again, a problem I never had in the first. The new animations for some of the attacks look really bad (Ryan pointed out that out in the Quicklook), the character upgrade system is far less interesting to me than in the first, and I also miss the surprisingly good English voice acting. But perhaps most egregious - the took out the call outs on special attacks. Yeah, they were dumb and slowed things down tremendously, but that is Fist of the North Star. What's the point of busting a Hundred Crack Fist if I don't get to hear "Hokuto Hyakurestu Ken!" afterwards?

For as polished the first game was, this one just looks bizarrely slipshod, especially given how much is recycled.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187

Musou games are my guiltiest of all pleasures, right behind Justin Timberlake's music and having a certain affinity for the Daredevil movie.

I know. I KNOW. I'm a terrible person for at least two of those three. Nonetheless, there's just something about the systems in the Musou games - upgrading weapons and leveling up. I think it really clicked with me when I got Wei Yun to max level and started doing Chaos runs by SHOOTING A FUCKING FIREBALL FROM MY HEAD! It was just too much fun to be so goddamn powerful when I knew I could get killed so quickly.

With that said, I know jack nor shit about Fist of the North Star. Therefore, I may have to watch some of the anime and manga first before I jump into the game, just so I know what the fuck is going on.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@SoldierG654342: I wouldn't call the first game "polished" except for the boss fights and cutscenes; it really was the same 4-5 dudes over and over again (exception being the fang clan mysteriously having unique models) for the most part in that too (or any other Musou game for that matter, though way back when you were playing DW2 it was still neat to see the differentiation in ranks and challenge between soldiers all the way up to Lu Bu; who actually engaged and murdered officers on screen); I mean fighting Raoh/Jagi/Thouzer is awesome but the slog to get there was always a bit tedious. I didn't see that they took out the special move call outs, but if that's the case then that is another issue with the game to be sure. It is a Koei game, expect as much recycling as possible (though it's entirely possible for them to make a good game randomly, they have some excellent talent and ideas just never tied it all together; Kessen 3 and Samurai Warriors were close).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edc4O_4vTa0

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikeGosot

@Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Demoskinos said:

Makes sense. But why he was banned in the first place?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikeGosot

@jakob187 said:

Musou games are my guiltiest of all pleasures, right behind Justin Timberlake's music and having a certain affinity for the Daredevil movie.

I know. I KNOW. I'm a terrible person for at least two of those three. Nonetheless, there's just something about the systems in the Musou games - upgrading weapons and leveling up. I think it really clicked with me when I got Wei Yun to max level and started doing Chaos runs by SHOOTING A FUCKING FIREBALL FROM MY HEAD! It was just too much fun to be so goddamn powerful when I knew I could get killed so quickly.

With that said, I know jack nor shit about Fist of the North Star. Therefore, I may have to watch some of the anime and manga first before I jump into the game, just so I know what the fuck is going on.

Read at least half of the manga. It's fucking awesome, and the characters are interesting as fuck. Specially Raoh. He's awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Demoskinos said:

Makes sense. But why he was banned in the first place?

I don't know the exact offense. But given it's Jay we're talking about, it was really only a matter of time before he imploded.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanmgraef

I wanna play this! Though ill wait for a sale or something.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel

@Fredchuckdave said:

@SoldierG654342: I wouldn't call the first game "polished" except for the boss fights and cutscenes; it really was the same 4-5 dudes over and over again (exception being the fang clan mysteriously having unique models) for the most part in that too (or any other Musou game for that matter, though way back when you were playing DW2 it was still neat to see the differentiation in ranks and challenge between soldiers all the way up to Lu Bu; who actually engaged and murdered officers on screen); I mean fighting Raoh/Jagi/Thouzer is awesome but the slog to get there was always a bit tedious. I didn't see that they took out the special move call outs, but if that's the case then that is another issue with the game to be sure. It is a Koei game, expect as much recycling as possible (though it's entirely possible for them to make a good game randomly, they have some excellent talent and ideas just never tied it all together; Kessen 3 and Samurai Warriors were close).

It's also worth noting that Ken's Rage 2 is not an Omega Force title, but was instead put together by some other team at Koei. The lack of pedigree almost instantly brands the game as an also ran next to Warriors: Legends of Troy.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Hailinel said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

It's also worth noting that Ken's Rage 2 is not an Omega Force title, but was instead put together by some other team at Koei. The lack of pedigree almost instantly brands the game as an also ran next to Warriors: Legends of Troy.

It not being Omega Force would be a positive to me but somehow, like you say, games like Warriors turned out worse. This looks in that vein.

I really hope next gen is a kick in the ass for them or someone else finally does a game in this style. The Dynasty Warriors formula could be so much more and it deserves better.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Hailinel said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

It not being Omega Force would be a positive to me but somehow, like you say, games like Warriors turned out worse. This looks in that vein.

I really hope next gen is a kick in the ass for them or someone else finally does a game in this style. The Dynasty Warriors formula could be so much more and it deserves better.

I maintain that Dynasty Warriors 7 is the best game in the series to date and made a number of welcome improvements across the board. Dynasty Warriors 8 looks to be building on that trend.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikeGosot

@Hailinel: True. I heard it was because he posted offensive racist stuff. I kind of doubt that, but since he was the guy that said he would be a dictator of the world if he was a superhero, anything is possible.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By soldierg654342

@MikeGosot said:

@jakob187 said:

Read at least half of the manga. It's fucking awesome, and the characters are interesting as fuck. Specially Raoh. He's awesome.

Yeah, either read or watch half the series. It's much better than it has any reason being and definitely worth the time.

@Fredchuckdave said:

I guess the best way to put it is that Ken's Rage 2 is the game I expected Ken's Rage to be. I don't have a problem with recycling in these types of games. Hell, it's even appropriate given the source material. But it looks cheap and sloppy lining twenty of the same guy next to each other. This wasn't as much of an issue on the first game because there were fewer enemies, which in turn made the slower combat not an issue. That's the crux of my gripes with this game; all the concessions they made to speed things up.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MikeGosot

@SoldierG654342 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@jakob187 said:

Yeah, either read or watch half the series. It's much better than it has any reason being and definitely worth the time.

For something that has such a simplistic and "ultra-macho" storyline, it's really, really great.

EDIT: Also, the boxer from the second half is really cool. Nothing compared to anyone from the first half, but hey...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@jakob187 said:

For something that has such a simplistic and "ultra-macho" storyline, it's really, really great.

I've got the entire series on a relatively new western DVD release and still need to watch the whole thing. What I've seen so far is glorious.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By smokeyd123

@Hailinel said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Hailinel said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

I maintain that Dynasty Warriors 7 is the best game in the series to date and made a number of welcome improvements across the board. Dynasty Warriors 8 looks to be building on that trend.

7 was a wash for me due to the lack of local Musou co-op. I understand that they we're going for a better narrative which required the omission of the co-op, but that's the only real reason I played those games. However, Orochi 3 was FANTASTIC. That game saved my life when I had to sit at home for 3 weeks with a broken foot.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hailinel

@smokeyd123 said:

@Hailinel said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Hailinel said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

7 was a wash for me due to the lack of local Musou co-op. I understand that they we're going for a better narrative which required the omission of the co-op, but that's the only real reason I played those games. However, Orochi 3 was FANTASTIC. That game saved my life when I had to sit at home for 3 weeks with a broken foot.

Agreed that Orochi 3 is a fantastic game. I bought that at launch for the Wii U and played the absolute hell out of it. I really love the direction they took that game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jakob187

@Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@jakob187 said:

I've got the entire series on a relatively new western DVD release and still need to watch the whole thing. What I've seen so far is glorious.

They've got stuff on Crunchyroll, so I'll probably check it out over there after I catch up on Problem Children Are Coming From Another World Aren't They? and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.

............WHAT?! I KNOW, OKAY! I KNOW! I'm a guy that has never really cared for anime at all and even kind of mocked it. However, since I've been dating my girlfriend, her roommate and herself have been getting me to watch a few here and there. I can't say I've necessarily gotten nearly as emotional as them about something like Klannad...nor have I met DJ's excitement levels about Sword Art Online, but I enjoyed the latter one quite a bit. Problem Children is just enough crazy shit for me to get into...and Dusk Maiden's first episode made me giggle quite a bit.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Raven10

I am not going to play it. I can't stand these style of games and the fact that they aren't hugely different than they were ten years ago is kind of killer for me.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikeGosot

@Hailinel: I haven't seen the anime actually! But hey, if you can see MOTHERFUCKING RAOH animated... DO IT. It must be awesome. Also, what i like about the anime, is that... When someone dies... THEY'RE FUCKING DEAD. Game Over. No continues, no ressurrections, no nothing. It's great.

And i just love gore.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jakob187

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel: I haven't seen the anime actually! But hey, if you can see MOTHERFUCKING RAOH animated... DO IT. It must be awesome. Also, what i like about the anime, is that... When someone dies... THEY'RE FUCKING DEAD. Game Over. No continues, no ressurrections, no nothing. It's great.

And i just love gore.

Gore? Did someone say gore?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikeGosot

@jakob187 said:

@MikeGosot said:

And i just love gore.

The anime has tons of it, from what i've seen. The manga is more... Sophisticated? I mean, the manga has blood everywhere, internal organs flying around and people with deformed heads before the head fucking explodes, but it feels more controlled, almost like the whole mess was part of the martial art itself, it was great. The games don't do justice to the fucking awesome amount of violence there is in this franchise.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By soldierg654342

@jakob187 said:

@MikeGosot said:

And i just love gore.

In the manga, Kenshiro ejects someone's entire skeleton from their body by toughing their forehead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.