Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Flower

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 12, 2009

A highly-acclaimed game that allows players to control the wind and collect flower petals while exploring a lush, colorful environment. Its innovative gameplay often seeks to create a soothing and relaxing experience through a combination of visuals and audio to complement the narrative.

flower Just Literally Blew Me Away. Oh My Goodness.

• 63 results
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By get2sammyb

No Caption Provided
    I think flower just joined Super Mario Galaxy at the top of my list of best games this generation. It certainly settles somewhere at the top without the need for accuracy.

If you gave me a week of time I still wouldn't be able to fill it with enough good things to say about flower. This is the cleverest, most beautiful, most evocative game I think I've ever played. Metal Gear Solid 4 actually brought a tear to my eye at one point and I believed that no video game would ever better that. flower gave me goosebumps, made me smile, made my stomach flip, the whole works.

I understand if people don't like this game. That's fair enough for those people. But this game grabbed me, pulled me in and shook me up for the 90 or so minutes it takes to complete. It looks beautiful, it sounds even more beautiful and it has more scripted, epic moments than I ever expected it would.

The controls are perfect, the concept... bafflingly amazing and the ideas it raises, just, so cleverly done. For a game that never uses speech or text it raises and answers a thousand questions.

"Poetry in motion"? Sure I was looking forward to this game but I scoffed when I heard the developers say that. Right now, I want to actually meet the people behind this game and personally thank them for it.

I hated fl0w but this is something else. Truly wonderful. For the first time I believe games can do more than entertain us.

I urge you to give this a go. You might not like it and I understand why. But you owe it to yourselves to at least try it. Play in a dark room with good quality headphones or your speakers pumped.

Oh man...
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

No Caption Provided
    I think flower just joined Super Mario Galaxy at the top of my list of best games this generation. It certainly settles somewhere at the top without the need for accuracy.

If you gave me a week of time I still wouldn't be able to fill it with enough good things to say about flower. This is the cleverest, most beautiful, most evocative game I think I've ever played. Metal Gear Solid 4 actually brought a tear to my eye at one point and I believed that no video game would ever better that. flower gave me goosebumps, made me smile, made my stomach flip, the whole works.

I understand if people don't like this game. That's fair enough for those people. But this game grabbed me, pulled me in and shook me up for the 90 or so minutes it takes to complete. It looks beautiful, it sounds even more beautiful and it has more scripted, epic moments than I ever expected it would.

The controls are perfect, the concept... bafflingly amazing and the ideas it raises, just, so cleverly done. For a game that never uses speech or text it raises and answers a thousand questions.

"Poetry in motion"? Sure I was looking forward to this game but I scoffed when I heard the developers say that. Right now, I want to actually meet the people behind this game and personally thank them for it.

I hated fl0w but this is something else. Truly wonderful. For the first time I believe games can do more than entertain us.

I urge you to give this a go. You might not like it and I understand why. But you owe it to yourselves to at least try it. Play in a dark room with good quality headphones or your speakers pumped.

Oh man...
    Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Bigbombomb

That description of the game makes me want to buy a PS3 just for flower.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

That description of the game makes me want to buy back the PS3 I sold just for flower.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TheJollyRajah

May I ask, what's the point of the game? What do you do? I've seen this game before but I have no knowledge of what it's actually about.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

I want.

DorianBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DorianBlack

Where is this game on the Playstation Store? I've been looking all day and nothing.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By get2sammyb
    TheJollyRajah said:
    "May I ask, what's the point of the game? What do you do? I've seen this game before but I have no knowledge of what it's actually about."
    You control the wind. I don't want to give too much away because you should experience it "raw" but essentially the movement of the wind subsequently moves petals, the number of which grow the more flowers the wind comes into contact with. Triggering a certain flower has different outcomes depending on the level (there's a wind one, a rain one) etc.

It's difficult to explain (don't think I did a good job) but it made me feel more in control than any game I've played before.

KairuDeLarge said:
    "Where is this game on the Playstation Store? I've been looking all day and nothing."
    It might be because you're in the US. It's been out here in Europe a while but I don't know if you've had your update yet.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

Fine! Fine! I'll buy it. Gee.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24

Cool. I am getting it. Like now.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kush

I don't know if I'm even going to try it. I hate how so many PSN games leave you with the option to either buy, or just not play...Why can't they just give me a demo?

unclejohn0525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By unclejohn0525

Damn. I bought a PSN card today just to download this (plus I'll have enough for Noby Noby Boy when it comes out), and it still isn't up on the store! I wanna play it so badly.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
    Kush said:
    "I don't know if I'm even going to try it. I hate how so many PSN games leave you with the option to either buy, or just not play...Why can't they just give me a demo?"
    I agree. They should put out a demo even if it's just a dodgy full download with a timer on it or something. I'm not sure how they'd do a demo with this though. But yeah. I recommend it. Immensely.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail
    Kush said:
    "I don't know if I'm even going to try it. I hate how so many PSN games leave you with the option to either buy, or just not play...Why can't they just give me a demo?"
    True. there should be a demo.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PSN is being janky on me. It won't recognize any of my cards.
    And yes there is money on them! :P
    I used it yesterday to buy some Rock Band songs on my 360.
    Between this and the fact that my PS3 won't play my copy of Crank I got in the mail today (Isn't Blu-ray supposed to be region free!?), I'm really pissed at my machine now.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PowerSerj

Downloading.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#16  Edited By strangeling
    Quick Look, people.  The best thing next to a demo.
    I'll definitely buy it after I pick up a PS3 sometime in the future.
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xandurson

This game did look very interesting from the Giant Bomb video of it.

Big_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Big_D

it really does feel like a poem in motion. I really am enjoying it.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
    GamerGeek360 said:
    "This game did look very interesting from the Giant Bomb video of it."
    Like they said, it was Prince of Persia-esqe.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By zitosilva

Just downloaded and played for about 20 minutes. I loved every second of it. It's beautiful, soothing and fun to play. All my expectations were met.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By hazelnutman

Now if we could only get those damn PSN cards here in Canada...

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Absurd

I don't think you were literally blown away...

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Snail said:
    "Kush said:
    True. there should be a demo."
    no i don't think so. flower isn't the kind of game you need a demo for. the demo may contain just the first level, but that could easily be enough for people to say that was cool but i don't wanna buy the whole game just for that. they wouldn't have a clue as to what would happen throughout the game and how amazing it really becomes. and also, LOTS of PSN games have demos. nhl 3vs3 for example just came out. 

TeflonBilly said:
    "PSN is being janky on me. It won't recognize any of my cards.
    And yes there is money on them! :P
    I used it yesterday to buy some Rock Band songs on my 360.
    Between this and the fact that my PS3 won't play my copy of Crank I got in the mail today (Isn't Blu-ray supposed to be region free!?), I'm really pissed at my machine now."
    that happened to me before. what kind of card are you using? if it is a gift card, psn tends to have issues with those. the very best thing to do is to just use cash...so go buy  a psn card. they work super fast and easy and besides, its better to just use cash like that instead of a card. 
    they have them at blockbusters and 7elevens. 
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kush
    TwoOneFive said:
    "no i don't think so. flower isn't the kind of game you need a demo for. the demo may contain just the first level, but that could easily be enough for people to say that was cool but i don't wanna buy the whole game just for that. they wouldn't have a clue as to what would happen throughout the game and how amazing it really becomes. and also, LOTS of PSN games have demos. nhl 3vs3 for example just came out. "
    No...It should have a demo. Every single PSN game should have a demo. There shouldn't be a single game on PSN that forces me to either buy it or not even get to try it. Every single XBLA game has "demo" (trial version) and that's what I want from PSN. I want to try Everyday Shooter. I want to try Flower. I would love to give those games a shot and possibly buy them afterwards, but I don't like having to place a purchase solely on faith. If PJE didn't have a demo...I probably would have bought it and definitely would have regretted it. I know people will probably say "Yea, but it's only $10" ...well $10 does add up in the end.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#25  Edited By tearhead

I wanna play this game... but I don't want to spend $10 on it...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tearhead said:
    "I wanna play this game... but I don't want to spend $10 on it..."
    What? You want it to be free? These types of thing still cost money to be produced and should be rewarded for it.

@TwoOneFive

It's not PSN cards, it's my Visa and Mastercard. I googled it and apparently PSN has probably suspended my account for 48 hours without telling me unless I call customer support. Probably cause I couldn't remember my password until the fourth try. They could at least have sent me a message about it though.
    I shouldn't have to talk to some buttmonkey at customer support.

A shame really, cause I'm pretty interested in this game. Oh well, I'll get it next week.

GetSammy, you should tone down the hyperbole a bit, you're doing the game a huge disservice by hyping it as severely life changing.
    But this looks like exciting shit in the vein of stuff like Rez, Braid and Auditorium.
    That's the greatest thing about these digital services. Developers being able to distribute these original ideas in the quagmire of football games and shooters.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kush

I hate this game for existing...I know I'm going to end up buying it even though I can't try it out first. Hmmm, I lasted one day without purchase. How much longer can I last before I give in, or will I be able to fight the urge to play this game...I am at a crossroad and don't know what to do, but this could also be due to a lack of sleep this past week. What was I talking about again?

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By KamasamaK
    Kush said:
    "I hate this game for existing...I know I'm going to end up buying it even though I can't try it out first."
    The Giant Bomb video review shows pretty much all you need to know; the game is rather simple. The only thing left is whether you find the controls fitting, and while I can't answer that for you, I can say that I find the SIXAXIS works well for it. If you've played flOw, you should have some idea how it works.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By get2sammyb
    TeflonBilly said:
    GetSammy, you should tone down the hyperbole a bit, you're doing the game a huge disservice by hyping it as severely life changing."
    I was waiting for someone to say that. And honestly, this is the best game I've played since Super Mario Galaxy. I really do think it's that good.

I was literally speechless when I beat it. I understand if people don't feel the same way but I just wanted to convey my excitement for the game (I think people have stopped being excited and passionate about games for fear of being called a "fanboy").

It won't be for everyone. If you can't overlook your "macho" persona then it won't be for you. If you think a game should be played with 10-different button commands and have crazy shit constantly littering the screen then it won't be for you. But... if you want a game to take you on a journey... then I truely believe this does. Well it did for me.

You don't get on a pedestal next to Shigeru Miyamoto this easily. But for me, personally, this game sits right next to Galaxy as the best game this generation (so far). I'mma not curb my excitement. ;) If you think I get too easily excited then... well I urge you to take my post with a pinch of salt. And I hope to see you come back into my thread with an "I'm speechless" post. ;)

The twist half way through is really clever. It makes the game so much more than what you've seen of it already. And even though there is a moral, it's not particularly nagging.

Kamasama said:
    "Kush said:
    "I hate this game for existing...I know I'm going to end up buying it even though I can't try it out first."
    The Giant Bomb video review shows pretty much all you need to know; the game is rather simple. The only thing left is whether you find the controls fitting, and while I can't answer that for you, I can say that I find the SIXAXIS works well for it. If you've played flOw, you should have some idea how it works."
    There's actually more to it than the GiantBomb video. Not gameplay wise, and not in a big deal, but narrative wise there is a big contrast.

As for the controls, they work fine. You'll have to adapt and your hands may get into a "strange" position at some points but on the whole it's fine. Certainly nothing to worry about.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kush
    Kamasama said:
    "The Giant Bomb video review shows pretty much all you need to know; the game is rather simple. The only thing left is whether you find the controls fitting, and while I can't answer that for you, I can say that I find the SIXAXIS works well for it. If you've played flOw, you should have some idea how it works."
    The problem is that I hate Flow (and I own it) ...but I've heard that Flower controls better and feels better. I would love to try it out because it looks beautiful and looks almost like a Snake-type game, but since there isn't a demo I don't get the luxury of trying it before buy it. I bought Flow on faith and what I heard and felt screwed...I don't feel like going through that again.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By get2sammyb
    Kush said:
    "Kamasama said:
    "The Giant Bomb video review shows pretty much all you need to know; the game is rather simple. The only thing left is whether you find the controls fitting, and while I can't answer that for you, I can say that I find the SIXAXIS works well for it. If you've played flOw, you should have some idea how it works."
    The problem is that I hate Flow (and I own it) ...but I've heard that Flower controls better and feels better. I would love to try it out because it looks beautiful and looks almost like a Snake-type game, but since there isn't a demo I don't get the luxury of trying it before buy it. I bought Flow on faith and what I heard and felt screwed...I don't feel like going through that again."
    Agreed, I hated flow too. I promise you it's much better but I understand why you don't want to drop the cash.

It is worth it though. Perhaps they'll release a demo at some point in the coming weeks.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KamasamaK
    get2sammyb said:
    "There's actually more to it than the GiantBomb video. Not gameplay wise, and not in a big deal, but narrative wise there is a big contrast."
    I was just referring to gameplay since this would be in lieu of a demo, and if anything a demo would probably have even less than the video showed.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pause422

There's no demo what so ever? I really want to play this game but I have no idea if it would be something I want to buy or not. Its a bit ridiculous if there isn't gonna be a demo at all.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Red

I downloaded the game a few hours ago and man...it's incredible. I only played the first two levels but I don't remember any game that made me so relaxed, amazed and just feel free.

Incredible game, definitely one of the best this generation.
    I'm gonna call something: flower will by my PS3 game of the year, unless InFamous is equally incredible.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pause422

InFamous definitely won't be from what I've seen. I mean, it looks like it could sure be a lot of fun, but Prototype looks like its going to blow it away honestly.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

played it last night and finished it. wow, i can't remember the last game that gave me so much emotions (sadness, happiness, fear, anger, adrenaline, even a feel of redemption near the end) like this game did. no dount it looks gorgous but the game offers so much more than its graphics. i recommend this game for anyone who like to try different things for once, you won't regret it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By get2sammyb
    Meowayne said:
    "Hidden message in "flower".

"
    Nice try ;)

Red said:
    "I'm gonna call something: flower will by my PS3 game of the year, unless InFamous is equally incredible."
    I think I agree. I've no doubt Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and God Of War III are going to be unreal but... this is so clever and different.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By End_Boss

Was it like a ham sandwich for your knees?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Kush said:
    "TwoOneFive said:
    "no i don't think so. flower isn't the kind of game you need a demo for. the demo may contain just the first level, but that could easily be enough for people to say that was cool but i don't wanna buy the whole game just for that. they wouldn't have a clue as to what would happen throughout the game and how amazing it really becomes. and also, LOTS of PSN games have demos. nhl 3vs3 for example just came out. "
    No...It should have a demo. Every single PSN game should have a demo. There shouldn't be a single game on PSN that forces me to either buy it or not even get to try it. Every single XBLA game has "demo" (trial version) and that's what I want from PSN. I want to try Everyday Shooter. I want to try Flower. I would love to give those games a shot and possibly buy them afterwards, but I don't like having to place a purchase solely on faith. If PJE didn't have a demo...I probably would have bought it and definitely would have regretted it. I know people will probably say "Yea, but it's only $10" ...well $10 does add up in the end."
    dude, the majority of psn games are cheap as shit. read some reviews and if the game looks cool to you, just buy the damn thing. i don't think every single game NEEDS a demo. NHL 3vs3 didn't need one, i would have totally bought that because i know i like arcade style hockey games. 
    all i know is, that if you want to try everday shooter and flower, (even though you try to point this out though) just fork out the measely 10 bucks man. these games are soooo cheap. i buy some when i'm not that interested.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By Pibo47
    TheJollyRajah said:
    "May I ask, what's the point of the game? What do you do? I've seen this game before but I have no knowledge of what it's actually about."
    There is no point to this game. BUT I LOVEEEE flower. Its just relaxing.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By super_machine

So you are saying flower is better than a good six pack of beer? Yeah, I'll consider it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TwoOneFive said:
    "dude, the majority of psn games are cheap as shit. read some reviews and if the game looks cool to you, just buy the damn thing. i don't think every single game NEEDS a demo. NHL 3vs3 didn't need one, i would have totally bought that because i know i like arcade style hockey games. 
    all i know is, that if you want to try everday shooter and flower, (even though you try to point this out though) just fork out the measely 10 bucks man. these games are soooo cheap. i buy some when i'm not that interested.
    "
    It's not a price issue. It just a common courtesy in the post XBLA world.
    It just shows how haphazardly put together the Playstation Store is and how Sony still haven't gotten a grasp on how to use their online platform as a great way to sell their merchandise. I've spent a ton of money on downloadable games wether it's Wipeout HD, Castle Crashers or Secret Of Mana across all three platforms and Nintendo and Sony's approach of not having demos for games is appauling. Especially when they're as esoteric and niche as Flower is.
    This is one of the apparent backsides of having a "free" online service. It's not high on neither company's priority list added woth the fact that Japan still aren't very well versed in what exactly to do with online services.
    Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Blinck

This game is simply amazing. It's one of the best "games" I have ever played, and in my opinion, it has unmatched visuals.
    Just got 95% of the trophies, I only have one left which is to stop playing the game for a week, and believe me, this is the hardest one.

Magnificent and majestic game.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By CountRockula

Just finished this game yesterday and yeah, it's pretty great.  Not too long, but it's designed to elicit a handful of very strong, specific emotions, and it does so masterfully.

Bourgeoisie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bourgeoisie

I just finished the game, and Flower is very hypnotic. The first few levels are much more standard while the last few bring it to a whole new level.

HashHeesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HashHeesh

I think Blu-Ray games are region free, not Blu-Ray  movies.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By get2sammyb

Glad everyone else seems to be enjoying it as much as I did. It's scoring really well too.

Hope more people check out this game.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49  Edited By RHCPfan24

I just beat it. I think you made a good call there, sammy, because I absolutely loved this game. It was beautiful, fun and thoughtful. I haven't had a similar gameplay experience since Braid (though Braid still has a better narrative, in my opinion). Nonetheless, flower is a great game. GO BUY IT!

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BoG
    Meowayne said:
    "Hidden message in "flower".

"
    Oh crap, you got me.
    Anyways, great game. I heard through the grapevine that this was a great, artsy game with some hidden message. I decided the least I could do was show my support with a few dollars, and I don't regret it one bit. The game is a beautiful adventure that, as Red said, makes you feel more relazxed then so many other games fail to do. I know that personally, I consider gaming as a stress relief, but too often games create stress in my life rather then remove it. Flower is truly a game that will relax anyone throughout (most) of its levels. Next to that, the game really does have a message, which becomes apparent a few levels in. I really hope more people buy this game, we might be able to get some discussion going like we did for Braid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.