Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Football Manager

Franchise »

Formerly a part of the Championship Manager series, Sports Interactive renamed their renowned football (soccer) management sim after switching publisher to Sega in 2004. The franchise has since had yearly releases on multiple platforms.

Requesting quicklook of this game....

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By granderojo

....when the new one comes out in a few months. I know some Americans don't enjoy soccer/football(although it is growing in popularity here) but this franchise has been the best selling game in Europe every year since 1997 and has been coming out every year since it's release in 1982.

Even with the growth of soccer in popularity threw the US mens national team and MLS I think it would be smart even for American audience to showcase this game.

It's a whole lot of fun and I think it would do good from a quicklook from the guys. The Giantbomb staff will probably never see this thread but I thought I would just make it be known this game deserves a quicklook.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

They rarely if ever do sports quick looks. Especially not for sports that aren't even popular in their primary territory.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By granderojo

@Rolyatkcinmai: Yeah but it's a hardcore sim, I totally see Vinny and Ryan warming up to this game, even Brad.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Ramone

I hope they do at least one football (soccer) based quick look this year. It would be hilarious.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@thabigred said:

@Rolyatkcinmai: Yeah but it's a hardcore sim, I totally see Vinny and Ryan warming up to this game, even Brad.

If by warming up you mean the same kind of warming up they did to Farming Simulator 2011 and that boat simulator, then sure.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By craigbo180
    @thabigred: Never going to happen. That game is made for people who are huge football fans, no one in the office wants to play it and the vast majority of the user base don't want to know about it. I have played the game in the past and it will continue to be successful but it wouldn't even make for a good quick look if they were to do one.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By granderojo

@craigbo180: You know I don't mean to be a contrarian but isn't like Giantbomb really big in Europe, especially UK and Sweden? This game is huge in those areas. Also there are people in Office who are big football fans, they could totally get Gary to come on to show off Totem Hotspurs.

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SquadBroken

Watching people play Footie Manager is enough to make you gouge your eyeballs out.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By MEATBALL

Giant Bomb aren't really in the business of doing Quick Looks of anything and everything, we probably get wider coverage than ever before but I think your chances of getting a Quick Look of Football Manager are about as "good" as getting a Quick Look/Review of Madden 11.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By ZimboDK

Yeah, I've played Football Manager since it was called Championship Manager, and I don't want a Quick Look of it. They might as well do a Quick Look of different Excel spreadsheets, since it amounts to about the same thing. If they want to do a video on a sports game, it should be Fifa.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By granderojo

FM2011 is my first Football Manager game and I only heard about it from a friend who is English. I love the game and I guess I just wish more people had the chance to see what it is. Best sim I've ever played.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bybeach

You can request it it...well heall why not. That way they`ll do a ql of a few more games I might like. And god knows I don't have to watch it, just bitch about it . I luv the internet!

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By granderojo

@bybeach said:

You can request it it...well heall why not. That way they`ll do a ql of a few more games I might like. And god knows I don't have to watch it, just bitch about it . I luv the internet!

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By craigbo180
    @thabigred said:

@craigbo180: You know I don't mean to be a contrarian but isn't like Giantbomb really big in Europe, especially UK and Sweden? This game is huge in those areas. Also there are people in Office who are big football fans, they could totally get Gary to come on to show off Totem Hotspurs.

I live in the UK and I can vouch that it is quite a big game here, but most people playing it are not the sort of people who are visiting sites like Giantbomb regularly. There isn't anyone in the office who is a big football fan, Gary has never done a quick look and doesn't actually work for Whiskey Media and he is not a huge football fan. He supports Tottenham but he doesn't follow football nearly as much now he lives in the US. I am not massively apposed to it but I don't think anyone there has the slightest interest in the game and it is in no way exciting to watch, watching someone with no football knowledge playing would be painful.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

As much as I love Football Manager, a quick-look of it would be the worst thing ever. It's a super slow paced game that is incredibly boring to watch someone else play. It's enjoyable because you spend hours crafting your football team and working out tactics and shit like that. That experience is unique to the person playing it. It would be mind numbingly boring to anyone else looking in on it.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Simplexity

Football manager is actually the most casual title I know, people that never play games play that game.

But it is impossible to get into if you don't follow football like week in week out.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By granderojo

@craigbo180: Well I think site traffic is important and a reason why they do quicklooks, and being from UK I am sure you know of the hundreds of Football Manager blogs that would likely like to a giantbomb quicklook.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By mnzy

Gary Whitta would the man for this job. He plays games, he likes football, he is funny.
    The game itself is great and it's a shame it's basically unknown in the US. I don't know if a QL would be good though, there is almost no action.

Thinking about it...a football based "morning TNT" (time zones) for the fans from Europe could be funny, all the hate between the different teams, leagues and countries and Gary in the middle...comedic dynamite.
    FIFA would be better for that though, Football Manager can be a little dry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.