Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fortnite

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 25, 2017

Originally a co-operative looter shooter from the studios behind Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, Fortnite became one of the most successful PvP "battle royale" games and later became its own platform for several types of games.

Do we ever see a Nintendo character in Fortnite?

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Do we ever see a Nintendo character in Fortnite? (78 votes)

Yes 44%
    No 56%

I know, I know. This seems like a very surface level question to ask that could be applied to literally every game franchise under the sun. However, as the game continues to swallow up other gaming franchises from Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is the last holdout. Nintendo is famously very stubborn about sharing characters outside of their games. At the same time, we've seen them in recent years open up with games like Mario+Rabbids (they gave Mario a damn gun!) and Cadence of Hyrule.

For once, I would probably like to see Nintendo be stubborn only because Fortnite is a game I don't care about and is becoming increasingly diluted the more franchises they add.

• 
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you don't care about Fortnite then why do you care if the game gets diluted?

I think we will see something from Nintendo at some point. Nintendo put stuff into Minecraft (though only on Nintendo consoles) and has a new movie coming out so they aren't totally put off by cross promotion. We've also seen Microsoft franchises in Smash Brothers (including Minecraft, which wasn't a Nintendo franchise first, unlike Banjo) so it's not totally against the idea of cross promoting with stuff that's exclusive to competitors (prior guests were from third parties.)

I don't think we'll see Mario or Link or anything, because those are Nintendo's crown jewels, but something like Splatoon or Metroid? I could definitely see it in the next few years.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd guess no since Nintendo has always been annoyingly anal about all their stuff, but in this day and age money talks and anything seems possible

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd guess no since Nintendo has always been annoyingly anal about all their stuff, but in this day and age money talks and anything seems possible

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I probably should have been more specific. I don't care about playing Fortnite, but I'm interested in its impact on the medium of video games. The questions I find myself pondering are: as the grows, does it lose its identity? And does it even matter?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@bigsocrates: On top of the stuff in Minecraft, there's also Link in Soul Calibur II, the Zelda equipment in the Switch version of Skyrim, etc. They seem open to putting Nintendo stuff in other games, but so far only if it's a unique value-added thing exclusive to the Nintendo version of a game.

Nintendo character in Fortnite is tricky because it would probably just appear in all versions of the game, and I don't think Nintendo sees the benefit unless it's some kind of platform-exclusive reason to own a Switch. Or does Fortnite do skins that are *only* buyable on a particular platform, like when TF2 had those dumb Apple earpods that only Mac players could get?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I don't know if it happens. the Fortnite devs definitly have that oldschool love for games where seeing characters like Master Chief & Kratos in their game is a kick for them. Naturally, getting Mario in their game would be the ultimate get for them. But Nintendo knows that they have the golden character in hands and probably feel like they should not necessarily have to conform to the rules of this Fortnite game. They're the big N! And it should probably be something that drives the playerbase to the Switch; Cadence & Mario + Rabbids showed Nintendo loosening their grasp a bit, but there's a clear reason these games are not multiplatform. So yeah, i don't think it happens until Fortnite decides to run some sort of Switch only event. Because i don't think Fortnite would be interested in like a .. Kirby event. If they do a deal with Nintendo, they shoot for the man with the big moustache.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

*thinks about Fortnite's character designs*

Twitter would complain about Samus having too much cake.

glik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fornite necessitates skins being roughly the same dimensions so hurtboxes don't change. The Mario cast is out because they'd require core design changes to fit, which Nintendo isn't gonna allow. Samus is an obvious choice but Nintendo doesn't care about Metroid. So Link's the best option, but who knows if Nintendo would be fine with him holding an M4.

I have to imagine Nintendo's competition for Vbuck sales is Android rather than Sony/MS; the only reason you're playing Fortnite on Switch is if you don't have other consoles/PC or playing on the go is important to you. Android doesn't have characters to give and Epic's shenanigans with trying to cut out the mobile storefronts from Vbuck sales wouldn't encourage them to do other deals. So Nintendo might not see it being a worthwhile investment.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I think you're ignoring a very important way Nintendo has branched out off its own system. With its mobile games. Super Mario Run and the others are ONLY available on mobile platforms, which are technically competition for the Switch. I think that makes it much more likely that they would put a Nintendo character on Fortnite, which is primarily a mobile game.

The only hold up would be worries about it being on Xbox and PS4. Since Nintendo and Microsoft have done deals in the past (and are rumored to be cooking something else up as we speak) I don't think this is a huge deal for Xbox. Sony might be a bigger issue, but I don't think it's prohibitive.

@glik: There are actually some Mario characters who have normal proportions. Princess Peach. Rosalina. WaLuigi. They probably wouldn't be ideal for Fortnite for various reasons but they are options.

I think that other properties are more likely though. You say Nintendo doesn't care about Metroid, but at some point they are going to want to sell Prime 4. Splatoon 3 is also in production. A cross over around the time those games release would make a lot of sense.

Which brings me to my last point. Fortnite crossovers are NOT about selling Vbucks for the company licensing the property (Though they are for Epic.) They're about promoting an IP. That's why we've seen a bunch of cross overs with non video game stuff like Marvel characters. The point would be to get new audiences interested in Nintendo properties. I think that Mario doesn't need it, but Metroid or Splatoon? They could really do with the boost. If the deal got done it wouldn't be about Vbucks, it would be about building hype and publicity for an upcoming title, or just one of their properties.

If Animal Crossing were not non-violent I think it would be a kind of obvious choice, but I don't think they want Isabella shooting Tom Nook, which is another consideration.

That's why Metroid or Splatoon make the most sense. Big popular properties Epic would like to have with human-like proportions and that have upcoming games and already use guns.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just put that creepy ass tall Mario from Mario Maker in there.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Samus should be in Fortnite. I don't know if she ever will be in it, and she would have fit in better last season alongside Master Chief and the Mandalorian, but I see no reason not to do it. Especially since it's the 35th anniversary of the series this year.

I guess theoretically you could say a squid kid from Splatoon could work, but I think if Nintendo is going to make the jump they would (and should) do it with a more "teen and up" franchise, and Samus is sort of the obvious choice.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. There was some Nintendo stuff in Minecraft and Rocket League. I don't see why there couldn't be a Samus skin in fortnight or something.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Sure, in twenty years, when Nintendo realizes Fortnite exists and decides to jump on the bandwagon. It'll coincide with the voice chat update and accessibility options.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: On the one hand, point taken. On the other hand there have been multiple Switch/Fortnite bundles, so at least one person at Nintendo knows what it is.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NameRedacted

No.

Look at Nintendo's attitude towards competitive Smash and their public image; do people really think Nintendo's gonna allow their beloved IP / characters be repeatedly blasted in the face with a shotgun, AR, sniper, etc. in a tween / mobile BR???

Nintendo is the "Disney" of video games; a multi-generational, S-tier global brand. They are, at all times, hyper aware and protective of how their characters and IP are publicly portrayed (especially as a Japanese corp.).

And let's face it, Nintendo doesn't need the money nor the advertising with ANY demographic. People forget Fortnite's ONLY been around for 4 years, meanwhile modern Nintendo's been around for nearly 40 years. Nintendo is a much bigger deal than Fortnite.

What's more... I have a hard time believing a wackadoo like Tim Sweeney would make the concessions Nintendo would demand for the inclusion of even B-tier Nintendo characters into Fortnite, because getting Nintendo into Fortnite is Epic pitching this to Nintendo, not vice versa.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By DinosaurCanada

@nameredacted: This, Nintendo wouldn't have the balls to depict their characters wielding and shooting real ass looking guns and performing in real ass gun fights.

Mickey Mouse aint shootin any guns. Sonic and friends started shooting guns and look what happened to his reputation!

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo let a brand name car get into Mario Kart, so I say anything is possible.

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kyary

Honestly I think the answer is probably no, but that's because Nintendo would probably try to get more than just a character skin, and I can't imagine what kind of restrictions other license holders put on Epic. Would Sony be OK with Kratos shooting Metroids to get shields? But I'd love to be proven wrong, because then we'd be able to see Waluigi do TikTok dances

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm thinking "No", but I'm also thinking tone deaf Nintendo could make a big mistake. It's over if they do the unthinkable and put Samus in Fortnite.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

They might just throw cut version of Mario in and call it a day.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By hermes

I think if they can force a weird restriction, like the characters being exclusive to the Switch, they would be all over it.

Remember this?
    Remember this?

Or this?
    Or this?

Sure, they are extremely protective of their main characters, but tend to give two shits about anything that isn't Zelda or Mario. If they can get crossgame marketing and do it for free, I don't think they will object. Samus in fortnite is the obvious choice, as one of the few Nintendo characters that could wield an AK, or maybe Bayonetta...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.