Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fortnite

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 25, 2017

Originally a co-operative looter shooter from the studios behind Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, Fortnite became one of the most successful PvP "battle royale" games and later became its own platform for several types of games.

Fortnite has a release date of July 25th for Early Access

• 65 results
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By alistercat

I saw this today and was shocked considering how long the development has been and how little we have heard. PC Gamer has the scoop.

July 25th is the date for the "early access season" which sounds like a fun way to say it isn't finished yet. At this point I think I can wait a little longer for it not to be early access before I give it a try.

Is it possible for Fortnite to make any kind of impact at this point?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I think it has the potential to make an impact as long as it's good.

Outside of the GB circle who like to make fun of it never being released, I barely see or hear anyone talk about the game at all. Most people have probably entirely forgotten about it or never knew about it in the first place.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Looks pretty cool actually!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure I'm sold on the tone and the art style of this game. And you can't make your own character, right?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMPOSSIBLE !

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah well finally i mean it feels like it's been a fortnight since the game's been announced.

i don't know how long a fortnight is

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combination of the bland cartoonish style and how uninteresting the gameplay looks reminds me of Battleborn for some reason. Not really digging the narration and the overall tone either. I guess this one isn't for me.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

yeah well finally i mean it feels like it's been a fortnight since the game's been announced.

i don't know how long a fortnight is

A fortnight is 2 weeks.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Is it coming to consoles? For some reason I think it's far more likely this is something my PS4 friends will get into rather than my usual PC crowd.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was curious until "zombies" and "loot".

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

@bollard said:

Is it coming to consoles? For some reason I think it's far more likely this is something my PS4 friends will get into rather than my usual PC crowd.

From the PR they sent:

Fortnite, its third-person Action Building game, will be available in paid Early Access for PlayStation®4, Xbox One, PC, and Mac starting on July 25.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I saw this today and was shocked considering how long the development has been and how little we have heard. PC Gamer has the scoop.

July 25th is the date for the "early access season" which sounds like a fun way to say it isn't finished yet. At this point I think I can wait a little longer for it not to be early access before I give it a try.

Is it possible for Fortnite to make any kind of impact at this point?

From what I've seen, the game actually looks very polished. I think "early access" in this case is just trying to get people to buy a free to play game. The really shitty part is that there's no indication when the game will leave early access.

Will it make an impact? It's Left 4 Dead, mixed with Minecraft, mixed with a looter shooter. This game has the potential to be a massive success, IMO. I think it looks great, but I'm still going to wait for "early access" to end.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By big_denim

I must say, that trailer certainly intrigued me. Consider me cautiously optimistic. I may snag it later on this Summer if the initial impressions are decent. It certainly seems like a game that requires a solid group of friends to enjoy with though. That might be the only deal breaker for me. Most of my friends either move from game-to-game too quickly, or hunker down on one game for far too long (Overwatch). Most of my friends don't game on PC either. Maybe I just need new friends :(

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard

@stordoff said:
    @bollard said:

From the PR they sent:

Fortnite, its third-person Action Building game, will be available in paid Early Access for PlayStation®4, Xbox One, PC, and Mac starting on July 25.

PS4 supports Early Access now? I know Xbox has some WIP game program that I can't remember the name of, but that's good to hear thanks.

euantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually hadn't even heard of this until this evening when I got an email from Epic. The trailer looks pretty interesting, I'm certainly intrigued to see what it plays like. From the trailer it looks like the kind of game which would be more fun with friends playing it.

4 different versions available though, the Limited Edition coming in at £125 with no physical goods or anything. If I were to jump in, it would be at the second from base tier (Deluxe Edition) at £49.99, but I'll wait and see how others think of the game after it goes into early access.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game looks like a base building/shooter game. It also looks like it might be light on actual content and rewards. I think the paid early access is probably a mistake that will lead to more negative "reviews" than positive impacting what it could have done. Hopefully they release alot more info on the gameplay before people can pay to play it too.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By alistercat

I had a look at the release model on PC here and I am very put off by the pricing structure. The way they are selling this is by bundling up what feels like the free to play mechanics in some very expensive ways. £120 for the limited edition. Standard is £35 which is practically a full, retail release price (unless you're nintendo, then it's £50). The price is putting me off.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TuxedoCruise

@alistercat@wandrecanada: Based on your experience with it, do you think paying for stuff will feel required? I don't mind buying content at a fair price. But if the game feels too grindy, monotonous, or unbalanced because I didn't throw cash at it, I might skip it.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost me at the gathering resources.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love me some base building so this is definitely something I am interested in.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By maginnovision

I can say based on what I've seen it is fairly grind-y but it's also mildly pointless to worry about. Think of it as tower defense with base building. Which means matches with an overarching persistence between. I don't think buying stuff is necessary and may end up feeling mostly useless if there are requirements for the stuff you're paying for.

Who knows though, tough to say from the twitch streams I've seen, they have always been cut off fairly quickly.

unknownczar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By unknownczar

I played for a bit in the beta. As far as the resource gathering/crafting/base building side of things, it's the most polished experience you can get. the shooting is great (it's the unreal guys, they know how to make a shooter). The AI is pretty good, not just bum rushing a single choke point. Looks and runs great.

It's not worth the 40$ though. The free to play trappings are severe, and ill thought out. There are so many superfluous external systems that ultimately just give you slight stat boosts, and the artificial limits on your inventory just make the game a drag.

The worst example is how every crafting recipe, and hero subclass has like 3-5 rarities. The only difference is each rarity has a different skin color scheme, and the lower rarities have a lower level cap. You get xp after playing games (and very little at that), and can spend the xp wherever you want, (not just the hero you played with) and it feels demoralizing when you dump xp into a hero only to get a better rarity drop 20 hours later.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unknownczar: Can you earn everything, including more inventory slots, from just playing the game? Or will some things only be available if you spend money?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
    deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat:

Gamestop is allowing pre orders also for July 25th. Wonder how that would work. Can a brick and mortar retailer actually sell an early access alpha product, even if its just a code?

mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This certainly looks like the type of game that an experienced studio would need ~65 million years to create. It's got an endless feature list you'd expect to see from a one-person life-consuming perpetual beta project, except those features are actually in the game with some level of polish.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mavs: That's why I'm interested in this game. Usually free to play games with random loot boxes never interest me. But Epic Games and People Can Fly know how to make good shooter mechanics, so I want to give this a shot. Hopefully they don't tarnish it with a scummy business model.

unknownczar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxedocruise: So that's not very clear. There's 2 different inventory systems, one for weapons/traps/crafting items, and one for heroes/recipes/etc. The weapons/etc one increases through the two skill trees. There's a research tree that increases over time (you more or less get a point every day), and a skill tree that increases with xp you earn from missions. (there's like 5 different xp types btw). The sales page mentions a larger hero/etc inventory if you pay more and I could not see another way to increase that one.

Like I said earlier, the F2P stuff is convoluted and slow to grind out... I like the game, it's pretty fun if you got a good group going... but I would hold off until next year as they said they would drop the $40 up front fee in 2018.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By alistercat

@andythemez said:

@alistercat: Gamestop is allowing pre orders also for July 25th. Wonder how that would work. Can a brick and mortar retailer actually sell an early access alpha product, even if its just a code?

They already do. In GAME they sell codes for Ark. Pretty sure there are a few other examples too.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's kind of amazing to that after all this time it's finally coming out but as "early access"

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you release a fake video game?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

It's kind of amazing to that after all this time it's finally coming out but as "early access"

From everything I hear it is a more complete and polished game than what you would think for "Early Access". Since it's so multiplayer focused and free to play as a longer service life they probably want to get the balance right. It won't even be in open beta until 2018.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The NDA ends on July 20th, when early access starts for previous alpha players.

So feel free to give your full thoughts about the game and its monetary structure tomorrow.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wandrecanada

@tuxedocruise said:

The NDA ends on July 20th, when early access starts for previous alpha players.

So feel free to give your full thoughts about the game and its monetary structure tomorrow.

Been an alpha player since last year. AMA about Fortnite tomorrow I guess.

Edit: The pay model has been in the game for over a year so I can describe this if required.

rdldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wandrecanada: Same here, I've bounced in and out of it a number of times.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

From everything I hear it is a more complete and polished game than what you would think for "Early Access". Since it's so multiplayer focused and free to play as a longer service life they probably want to get the balance right. It won't even be in open beta until 2018.

I don't think they want to get balance right, I think they want to get the money right. Right now. Give us money if you want to play our free game.

I do enjoy some free to play titles, but the idea of paying 40 dollars to play a "free" game, and then still be stuck with whatever money making grinding aspects will be in the free version? That sounds very unappealing. This is trying to have your cake and eat it too, which really is a strange idiom, isn't it?

Either way, either your game is free or your game is 40 dollars. Pick one. This just seems shitty, IMO. The game itself still looks like it could be a lot of fun, though.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

A friend has bought the $80 version. I'll see what they think but I daresay I will be waiting for the full f2p release. Paying money to play f2p games early seems like madness.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: There is the money part too but I meant by putting it out in early access and not just putting it out. I ended up buying the second tier version (because they intentionally made the base tier look garbage) and will report back but I'm mostly going off youtube videos for my enjoyment of this game. Nobody quite knows what the free to play grind will be like.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: There is the money part too but I meant by putting it out in early access and not just putting it out. I ended up buying the second tier version (because they intentionally made the base tier look garbage) and will report back but I'm mostly going off youtube videos for my enjoyment of this game. Nobody quite knows what the free to play grind will be like.

I was curious about the differences, so I had a look. Intentionally made the base tier look like garbage, indeed.

Still, the game could end up being well worth 40 or 60 dollars, and I do look forward to hearing people's thoughts on the game, and trying it myself someday.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone wants to group up, my psn is DanishingAct

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people are going to be shocked at how little grinding you can avoid by paying for shit in this game.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know exactly what the free to play grind will be like because the game was initially balanced that way. In fact most of the alpha community played exactly like this and it is the best form it can be currently.

If you play the game, do missions with friends, get the login bonuses and use the in game reward systems you can do just fine progressing through the game for zero dollars.

Paying dollars is basically allowing you to fast forward time between in game bonuses. Heck the currency itself is something you can earn via daily mission rewards and login bonuses over time.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Solh0und

From the little I got to play of it this morning, it seems alright. I went ahead and spent some birthday money and bought the deluxe edition of it. The servers seemed to be slammed as expected for a online only game that just launched. The building/editing controls will likely be something people will have to wrap their heads around though since it can be downright confusing at first.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The servers were rough for an hour or, but I had no problems after that.The game could really use a better tutorial and maybe some ui fixes. Overall having a great time with it though.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As somebody who hates the idea of paying money to a F2P game for the purposes of skipping the joy of unlocking content that can otherwise be used as a goal to play towards, is it better to pay for deluxe or just do the cheap model?

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By briggs713

The actual game play is very well done, but they need to dial back the number of ways you can progress. There is menu after menu after menu in this game. Basically seems like they wanted as many ways to monetize the game as possible and worked backward from there. I like the longevity this may provide, but honestly these tiers of progression need to be streamlined and the menus cleaned up. Ammo crafting and weapon durability is also annoying, but getting a group of 4 friends together seems like it could make for some good fun. However, I doubt I'll get my wife or any friends to play after they see it in action. My wife was sitting watching and she said "this seems really complicated". I was really hoping to find something that could shift some friends over from Overwatch. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it a shot if the early access is free and timed rather than $20 or whatever. It looks like Sunset Overdrive and Minecraft had a baby. I don't like the latter of those two games, so I'm not sold on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guy at Gamestop was telling me about this game on Thursday, it looks really cool and fun. Is this coming to Steam? If not I might just get it on console.

matsemann08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By matsemann08

Where do I actually play Fortnite on PC? Does Epic have their own launcher?

I couldn't see anything about Steam or anything else on their own website.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.