Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fortnite

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 25, 2017

Originally a co-operative looter shooter from the studios behind Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, Fortnite became one of the most successful PvP "battle royale" games and later became its own platform for several types of games.

What's happening to Fortnite?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is this some elaberate marketing plan of releasing a new map/version of the game? I honestly don't follow the game at all, my daughter plays it every now and then on my ps4. Either that or somebody has hacked into the game?

Either way what happened from an outsiders perspective what SUPER FRICKIN COOL. Reminds me of like the final moments of an MMO server shutting down.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BonelessSpirit

Epic usually do these really weird events for Fortnite. I think last time they had some rocket launch into the atmosphere to end their season and add new shit.

And it happened in real time so players could watch it. It was pretty crazy.

I'm not even a Fortnite player but this has me intrigued.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonelessspirit: yeah, totally, me too. Never played the game but stuff like this is fascinating to me. I guess that's the whole point, a way of building hype and hysteria.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Yeah and like you say it's sort of reminiscent of MMO servers shutting down and having these insane events where everyone's going crazy. I used to play on a lot of private servers for games like Lineage 2 and Ragnarok Online and they would have crazy final moments but those were also a lot more bittersweet because you knew it was the end, while I'm guessing this is the start of something new.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i find very little of fortnite interesting on it's face- but it certainly seems to have become the preeminent destination for online 'events.'

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a fascinating and confident marketing plot from Epic.

I also kinda just wish it was real? That's not fair, people like that game.

But what if though...

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully disappears from existence.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gerrid

The opening cutscene for Chapter 2 transitions seamlessly into a match, although it's mostly populated with bots. Pretty clever feature.

They also made it so you can queue into the next match while still spectating after your death, so no need to ever return to the lobby.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.