Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fortune Street

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 05, 2011

Marking the Itadaki Street board game series's first ever appearance outside of Japan, this Nintendo Wii entry once again challenges classic Dragon Quest characters (as well as Mario and his friends) in real estate.

Why Kingdom Hearts fans recognize the gameplay in Fortune Street.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By TepidShark

I didn't get to see the TNT live myself but during it you may have heard about some people talking about something called the Command Board and how it is similar to Fortune Street.

In Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep for the PSP, the Command Board is a minigame designed to help your abilities level up. The gameplay is to what you saw in Fortune Street but it is much simpler. Some things like: owning two properties next to each other increasing their value, leveling up properties, Buying people out of properties, going to all four checkpoints then heading to the start netting you a bonus, and separating the cash you have to spend from the overall cash you have; are part of both.

I haven't yet finished watching the TNT yet, but from what I have seen so far the main difference is that the board in Kingdom Hearts is not divided into different areas like Fortune Street is and thus you do not buy stocks in an area. Also, while it is more an astatic change, in Kingdom Hearts you are buying spells and abilities rather then the shops of Fortune Street.

Here is a video showing what the Command Board from Birth by Sleep is like, if you want to compare the two (video was not done by me so sorry about the resolution, remember PSP game):

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Doctorchimp

Haha, I played both of those games on the PS2 and I had no clue what you were talking about. And then I realized you were talking about those PSP games.

And then I realized how many stupid games I missed because I didn't want to be on a portable for 40 hours without a second analog stick.

And then I realized I probably won't play Kingdom Hearts 3 if it has anything to do with those sidegames on the portables.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By TepidShark

By the way, one time I managed on the Command Board to get the computer character 10,000 in debt.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By OmegaChosen

That the way!

I was thinking about the command board while I was watching TNT. I haven't actually played BBS in a while though so it didn't strike me how much they're similar till just now.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

Yep. Command Board is little more than a simplified and modified version of Fortune Street, but it's a pretty sizable diversion for what's just a minigame in Kingdom Hearts.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@Doctorchimp said:

Haha, I played both of those games on the PS2 and I had no clue what you were talking about. And then I realized you were talking about those PSP games.

And then I realized how many stupid games I missed because I didn't want to be on a portable for 40 hours without a second analog stick.

And then I realized I probably won't play Kingdom Hearts 3 if it has anything to do with those sidegames on the portables.

Kingdom Hearts 2 had a lot to do with that Game Boy Advance game. Holy hell, I still have no idea what happened in Kingdom Hearts 2. They went off the deep end real quick.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Enigma777

Gummy Ship > All

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By jacksukeru

@Doctorchimp said:

Yeah the Kingdom Hearts games are really the worst there is when it comes to spreading out its entries on different platforms, especially for a game series where most entries have significant impact on the greater story (there is quite a bit of filler though).

Playstation 2, GBA, DS, PsP and now 3DS, I'm amazed that I've actually have been able to keep up so far.

As for the minigame, I think I played it once to get whatever I needed to unlock the secret ending, then never touched it again.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Yeah I noticed this when I was watching the TNT.

Avatar image for oppressivestink
    OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OppressiveStink

Ehh, Kingdom Hearts is for weaboos and fangirls to wank over. I've never seen such shoddy work in a crossover game and I own UMVC3!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@OppressiveStink said:

Ehh, Kingdom Hearts is for weaboos and fangirls to wank over. I've never seen such shoddy work in a crossover game and I own UMVC3!

Troll harder.

I don't have a PSP anymore so BBS is the only Kingom Hearts game I can't play. I was going to buy it just for BBS but with the Vita coming out that can play PSP games, I'll just wait for that.

Avatar image for oppressivestink
    OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OppressiveStink

@NekuSakuraba:

Who's trolling? Want me to give quantitative reasoning of what makes that game bad?

Let's start off with the flaws of the first game as the game with the most merit because it aped Secret of Mana so doggedly.

The combat controls for this game wasn't the most mindless ever, but still pretty shallow for where video games have progressed to that point. One might argue that a two button attack scheme is all that children can really utilize (yes, this game was made for children) but it's as responsive as one could ask for. This doesn't really matter when the real epic boss challenge is the one you have with the camera. When panning around fights the camera can often get stuck at looking to a wall and then suddenly zoom back to Sora's crotch, none of which happen to be the boss you're facing(Jaffar was the worst offender IMO.)

Then we can talk about the Gummi Ship. What a fucking afterthought to pad game play time. The controls and enemy patterns were so trash you ended up making your ship as tough as it could be merely so you could bludgeon your way through a level.

Or how about the side quests? The most egregious one that comes to mind is the 101 Dalmatians quest. You go through the game, finding these puppies and when you turn them in, there's no animations(which is really the point of a Disney game), no silly little cut-scene, just some text. Fucking brilliant!

The character designs were by Tetsuya Nomura, who, from this point will be called Belt-san Zippers... Before I go into the criticism of the art direction, I first want to tell you that Disney employs some of the best artists in the world. The characters they've made are some of the most iconic designs ever created. That being said, Belt-san Zippers felt they all needed a trip through a Hot Topic(which I guess makes sense for the time). What's left is a bunch of original characters that seem soulless and amateur(seriously, if you make a silhouette of Sora and take away the key blade, you've essentially took away the one design element that defined him) and a bunch of gothed-up Final Fantasy and Disney characters.

The story in this first game is... palatable. The plot doesn't get driven off a cliff in terms of ideas(that doesn't start until the second one Roxas? Jesus Christ!) and I guess there are few points to really get confused about. There's two real aguments I'm going to make about the story. The first point is the weird sexual tension and relationship stuff between the original characters. I want you to realize, this game is still geared to the kids would would have been watching the Cheetah Girls circa 2002, so that means those relationships will not have any real meaningful progression simply due to demographic they were aiming for. IE, games for little fangirls to speculate over for years(and a fanfiction/art explosion!). The second argument I'd like to levy is this is when Tetsuya Nomura, Mr. Belt-san Zippers himself, started his domination of the company.

This is where square left the tracks, this is where they started to not be able to make fun games. This rather average character designer took the reigns of a good amount of Square's development and then proceeded to drive it into the ground with reckless abandon.

I'd continue to write about the second game if I wasn't afraid I've already TL:DR'd so, to be hyperbolic, I'll say take the first game and cram it full of the fanfiction and fanart that the first game generated, simplify the combat, and crank the story to "crazy cat lady" levels of over dramatic nonsense and you've gotten Kingdom Hearts 2. I'll leave you with the wikipedia entry on the story for the second game, go ahead, tell me this is good writing, and fuck you Tetsuya Nomura, you fucking hack.

"Plot

Kingdom Hearts II begins one year after the events of Kingdom Hearts. Sora, Donald, and Goofy have been asleep in suspended animation for the past year to regain their lost memories. Meanwhile, Roxas, the Nobody of Sora, is trapped in a virtual simulation of Twilight Town created by DiZ so that he may merge with his original self to restore Sora's power, done as part of DiZ's revenge on Organization XIII. DiZ's plans are threatened when Organization XIII's Nobodies, led by Axel, Roxas' former friend in the Organization, infiltrate the virtual town, but Roxas finally merges with Sora. Sora, Donald, and Goofy wake up in the real Twilight Town and meet King Mickey and Yen Sid, who send them on another journey. Their goal is to find Riku and stop the plans of Organization XIII, who control the Nobodies—the body left over when a person with a strong heart is turned into a Heartless. Afterward, Maleficent is resurrected and joins with Pete to continue her quest for power.

Sora travels to many Disney-themed worlds, old and new, and resolves the troubles caused by Organization XIII, the Heartless, Maleficent, Pete and local villains. During a visit to Hollow Bastion, they again meet King Mickey, who reveals the true nature of Ansem, the antagonist of Kingdom Hearts. The Ansem whom Sora defeated was actually the Heartless of Xehanort, a student of Ansem the Wise, and that the leader of the Organization is Xehanort's Nobody, Xemnas. Organization XIII's plan is revealed: they seek the power of "Kingdom Hearts", the sum of all the hearts that Sora released by destroying the Heartless with his Keyblade. Sora then revisits the worlds to solve lingering problems and new complications, while seeking a path to Organization XIII's base of operations. Throughout his endeavors, Sora is secretly aided by a mysterious hooded figure whom Sora believes to be Riku.

Following a lead, Sora, Donald, and Goofy enter a passageway through Twilight Town and encounter Axel, who sacrifices himself to create a passageway to "The World That Never Was", the headquarters of Organization XIII, with Kingdom Hearts looming overhead as a heart-shaped moon. Sora finds Kairi and Riku, whose appearance has been changed by the darkness to that of Xehanort's Heartless; he also reveals to Sora the nature of his connection to Roxas. King Mickey meets DiZ, who reveals himself to be Ansem the Wise. Ansem uses a device that dissipates some of Kingdom Hearts' power, but a system overload causes the device to self-destruct, both engulfing Ansem and miraculously returning Riku to his original form. At the top of the Castle that Never Was, Sora and his friends battle Xemnas, who uses the remaining power of Kingdom Hearts to power his multiple forms. After Sora and Riku destroy Xemnas, the two are reunited with their friends at their home, Destiny Islands. The game concludes as Sora, Kairi, and Riku read a letter from Mickey, its contents hidden from the player."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.