13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim review for new Atlus and Vanillaware game! Tactical JRPG & Kaiju!

joeygills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Really looking forward to this insanity! Vanillaware and Atlus make unique games that hit sweet spots other JRPG's don't, although, that's a whole other topic. Are JPRG's with Tactical Strategy combat, still considered JRPGS?

3 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

I'm very much looking forward to a new Vanillaware game, I just wish it came out when I wasn't surrounded by new games.

I will take this time to say Muramasa: Rebirth needs more rereleases, as it's the best Vita game outside Spelunky. With some kick ass DLC most people haven't played that'd be ripe for a definitive edition.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I’ve been curious about this game and then completely forgot about it until I browsed PSN over the weekend. If the reviews seem good I might check it out.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Didn't know about this game so consider me intrigued. Looks very pretty visually, gotta love that Vanillaware flavor on character models. This trailer does make it look like a side-scrolling otome game which is not exactly a genre I'm into but hopefully the tactical mecha portion is enough of an interesting hook for the different story lines.

thefreecheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I still had it on my calendar as releasing today and was half excited yesterday before realizing I hadn’t updated it. I went ahead and preordered it on PSN. I’m looking forward to seeing a different setting for Vanillaware. I likely am biting off more than I can chew, as I just grabbed Xenoblade Chronicles last week but excited nonetheless.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on the gameplay it seems like a more tactical overlayed game with a isometricish view but... I don't think people will like that. The combat being mostly in the form of a city view while you view the action in overlayed abstractions of unit location and attack cones. Basically what I am trying to say is you won't see that Vanillaware art that you expect to see Vanillaware gamea during combat unless it's characters portraits or the occasional static image of a mech or a enemy.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Their last strategy game was...well I think their only other strategy game was their first game: Grimgrimoire, and it's probably my least favorite of what I've played of their catalog. That being said, I'll probably give this a shot; when they hit, they hit. Odin Sphere and Muramasa: Demon's Blade were phenomenal, and Dragon's Crown is very good.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Yoko Taro: “Vanillaware is like a treasure we must all protect, so you should definitely buy 13 Sentinels. Even just one more copy sold can make a difference. I usually don’t care about whether a game will sell or not. I don’t even care if Atlus ends up closing down one day. But I definitly don’t want Vanillaware to disappear. Japan needs Vanillware.“

Lol his bit about Atlus is the best part

Mitch659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a copy today from my local game store (maybe there's no hard street date, not sure), and have been playing for about 2 hours. It's really good so far! I wish the art style was a bit more pervasive in the battle scenes, as the battle stuff feels pretty barebones from a visual perspective, but the rest of the game has a great style, and the gameplay for the battle scenes is better than I was expecting.

NotSoSneakyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching some gameplay videos after the JP release, I've tempered my expectations.

To boil it down, it's a visual novel broken up with segments of a tower defense game.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This came out completely out of nowhere and looks completely interesting.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I'm very exited to play this game tomorrow. The more I hear about how the story is structure (jumping between multiple protagonists across different periods of time) the more the game sounds a Vanillaware interpretation of 428: Shibuya Scramble, which was one of favorite games I played in 2018.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried to enjoy Vanillaware's games but they do very little to hook me. I finished Muramasa but it was still insanely repetetive.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a really sharp and crisp version of Muramasa Rebirth on my TV so bad.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this game in HDR or not? Since the PS5 handles HDR in a poor fashion I have no idea of knowing whether it is or not. I would like to just disable HDR when playing the game if it’s not natively in HDR.