Altered Carbon ReSleeved Is Pretty Cool?

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Curious if anyone else here as seen Altered Carbon Resleeved. I figured I'd put this in the Anime discussion because, as much as the actual live action TV show of that thing is very much more anime adjacent and primarily cyperpunk/detective stuff, man oh man is Resleeved anime as hell.

I really dug it, the animation style felt like a Dragon Quest video game but the plot of this thing was basically as Yakuza as it gets. I really thought they lifted the cyperpunk aspects of the TV show well to get mileage out of the story they wanted to tell. None of it was mindbogglingly surprising, but considering how much potential that universe has, especially in regards to fight scenes. This really nailed the cool ass video game cutscene fight scene vibe.

If you haven't checked it out I don't really think you need to see either season of the show to get into it. It takes place in between Seasons 1 and 2, but other than a character or two nothing really is about either season. Even much of the stuff they do reference they give you enough information to understand what's happening anyways.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

How was season 2? Been meaning to watch this show but the reception sounded mixed.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By frytup
@csl316 said:

How was season 2? Been meaning to watch this show but the reception sounded mixed.

Anthony Mackie is a much more engaging actor than Joel Kinnaman, but I didn't like the season 2 story very much. I know it's kinda the whole point of the show, but I don't think the Falconer revolution stuff is very interesting. I like Altered Carbon much more as cyber detective noir.

Resleeved is pretty good though.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@frytup: Was totally my take as well. I liked the acting, fight scenes, and comedic choices of Season 2 much better but in general the only interesting stuff going on plot wise had to do with Poe. I feel like the show constantly focusing on the origin stuff and Falconer revolution and Envoy stuff does it a disservice. The cool thing about Altered Carbon is the premise that Kovach can get booted up every hundred or so years and get dragged into someone else's problems. I hope in future seasons they leverage that a little more just supplant him into whatever cool/interesting story they can think of, no restrictions. I feel like Resleeved is a better example of that.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought the CG was pretty bad (reminded me of the original Appleseed) but I enjoyed it overall.

I agree that Altered Carbon is more interesting when theres a detective angle involved. I thought Season 2 started off decent enough but got very boring, it also felt cheaper than the first season, the fight scenes in general were much worse.

pewpewphil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The anime was fine, good action with an art style that is used a bit too much. If anything my real complaint is that the movie wasn't long enough and would have preferred a whole series instead of a movie. More Altered Carbon done well isn't too much of a bad thing.

As someone who loved the first season of the show, I really didn't find the second season as compelling as the first. I enjoyed enough to watch through most of it, then trudged through the final episodes to get to the end. Pretty much agree with most of the points put forward by everyone above.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I will have to get this second season into my list of "next sees". I enjoyed the books and the first season of the show.