Anime & Cartoon Megathread V: I, Gacha

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

I haven't posted in here in a while. Well...

I am currently watching: Raildex series, and have thus far seen a A Certain Magical Index 1, A Certain Scientific Railgun 1 and 2, and Accelerator. I'll be starting Railgun 3 tonight.

I quite thoroughly enjoyed:

• Aggretsuko Season 2 & 3
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
  • Dorohedoro - one of the few series I read before it got adapted. Good so far, but kinda breezing over things.
  • Little Women & Little Women 2: Jo's Boys
  • One Piece - I'm all caught up now, including all of the movies and specials. I'm in the Arlong arc in the manga.
  • The Promised Neverland
  • Dr.Stone
  • Space Battleship Yamato 2202 - The Sequel! The Search For More Space-Racists
  • Crusher Joe: The Movie - More enjoyable than the OVA by a long shot.
  • Inuyasha - I think I'm all caught up on this, series and movies, so now I can watch Yashahime.
  • Mo Dao Zu Shi - I watched 2 seasons of this and it's quite good! Which reminds me...
  • Thunderbolt Fantasy - I caught up on this too, also really good!
  • Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics - I hadn't seen any of this since I was a child. It holds up fantastically well.
  • Lupin III: The First - Perhaps my favorite bit of Lupin thus far.
  • Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul - Let's keep this train of awful feelings chugging along!
  • Baki S2 - or really S4, but yeah, this is still super stupid and I love it.
  • Project Itoh - in order of fav to least fav: Genocidal Organ, Harmony, Empire of Corpses.

I generally enjoyed:

• Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R
  • The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - I actually liked the follow-up OVA more than the series.
  • Mahou Shoujo? Naria Girls - it's one of those improvised dialogue 3D shows. I seem to like these more often than not.
  • Chargeman Ken - I mean, it's garbage, but I generally found it fun to laugh at. Got real old though by the end.
  • Fushigi Yuugi
  • Girl from Fantastia
  • Cencoroll
  • Aoi Bungaku
  • Lion Books adaptations - I watched most of these and they're pretty good. I think I only have one left.
  • Eiken - This should get a remake, but with a lot of smart people working on it.
  • The Guyver 2005 - I have now seen all of the Guyver stuff. It's okay.

I didn't enjoy:

• The God of High School
  • The Humanoid
  • Cool Cool Bye
  • MD Geist II: Death Force
  • Xanadu (like Faxanadu, but not for the Famicom)
  • Twinkle Nora Rock Me
  • Ladius
  • Greed
  • Hell Target - Unfortunately a cool look or premise does not mean a cool anime.
  • Digital Devil Story - Rushed? Feels like it's missing so much.
  • Yami Shibai, Junji Ito collection, and a bunch of other horror stuff - I don't think I like horror anime very much.
  • Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! - There's good stuff here, like interesting direction and stylistic choices, but man is it dull overall.

And more, if you can believe it, but this post is looking kind of long even in list-form.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@hamst3r said:

Eiken - This should get a remake, but with a lot of smart people working on it.

Nice to see another person of culture around here.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Don't think I've watched any anime at all this past year, but seeing this thread pop up has reminded me that Yuru Camp S2 and Log Horizon S3 are coming next year so I'm looking forward to that.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

idk if I have the energy to run another Anime Of The Year poll, might just do another blog about my personal Top 10 and let everyone else fight it out.

Right now it's a fight between Akudama Drive, Dorohedoro, and Eizouken for my 2020 AOTY.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

Has anyone else been watching Yashahime? From it's announcement I decided to finish a rewatch of Inuyasha (including the final bit which I didn't know existed until like last year).

So far, I'm enjoying Yashahime alright. I think it has some pacing issues and it's structure is very different from Inuyasha, but I like the main cast so far and that it's not just "Hey remember how cool Inuyasha was?" which is a common compliant I hear about Boroto. I suspect it's planned for 100+ episodes which I'm not fully on board with, but it's nice to have something to watch each week/catch up on.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4507  Edited By Mezmero

I've been keeping up with my normal anime diet but in the past several months I've been catching up on loads of western cartoons I've been missing out on for a while. So here's a few:

Sym-Bionic Titan - My first time watching this and now I can see why some would call this Tartakovsky's best show (though I think I lean slightly more to Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack myself). One thing is for sure it's probably the most anime thing he's created, which says a lot when you consider how many of his works are inspired by anime. It's more serialized than anything else he's done short of Clone Wars. It really takes advantage of the PG rating by being surprisingly more violent and risque than I anticipated. Leads me to wonder just what demographic it was trying to reach. A shame that it got canceled because it's a genuinely cool thing.

Steven Universe Movie, then Future - Still one of my favorite cartoons of the last decade. Love the music, the animation, the characters, the queerness. It's sort of bittersweet to have watched OK KO before this as the entire character arc that Steven got in this season KO had to get in an 11 minute finale.

Infinity Train - This show is a contrabulous fabtraption of splendiferousness! Sorry but I enjoyed it so much that I lost my words. I was taken aback by the quality and creativity of this, particularly with how differently each season wraps.

Craig of the Creek - This is a very fun kids cartoon. With all the fantastical shows I've been watching it's cool that this is a more grounded world fueled more by children's imagination than anything else. I seem to recall hearing the creators of this show refer to the kid technology as "lawn punk" which is apt.

Duck Tales (2017) - I'm in the middle of the first season and I'm really blown away by how good it is. I didn't even think I had that much nostalgia for the old Duck Tales cartoon and yet I can totally feel the genuine love and reverence for both it and the comics it was based on by watching this.

In terms of an Anime of the Year, Eizouken is probably the objectively correct choice. However last year also had the latest season of Haikyuu! And man what a season.

Avatar image for deactivated-619b03b9dff60
deactivated-619b03b9dff60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Loading Video...

@mezmero: I miss watching Sym-Bionic Titan, I'll never forget getting through that series with my friend. This scene still sticks in mind of just one of my favorite animated scenes ever

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just stopping by to share this What's Michael? music video.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone's favorite video game is getting an anime

Loading Video...

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4511  Edited By imhungry

Out of all the interesting weirdos in the Dota 2 roster, of course they pick one of the most boring. This is totally going to be a generic anime plot of him learning to learning to control his dragon powers isn't it?

What is interesting though is the fact that it's getting made at all. It's all kinds of bizarre that a game based on a mod that had many characters ripped from copyrighted material is getting an anime. It would be the height of weirdness to have Lina show up in this, if that would even be legal. Is this how we get a new Slayers made in 2021?

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to say that Jujutsu Kaisen was amazing! Can't wait for season 2 and the movie.

Tried to get into Demon Slayer and I dug into until they introduced that Zenitsu kid. He's as terrible as Minoru from My Hero Academia and they use him way too much. I like the idea of a character that is an incredible fighter only when unconscious but I can't stand him when he's awake. Does he get better or do they use him less or hopefully kill him off? I don't mind a spoiler like that because it gives me something to look forward too.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve been enjoying Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, it’s pretty good!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@stamosx6: Boy, I can sure see why!

Sure sounds like Ride for the music, but I don't know the song if it even is.

Avatar image for deactivated-619b03b9dff60
deactivated-619b03b9dff60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach:

That scene made me love the song so much. I listen to it quite alot now actually. Nothing beats enjoying the sunset while listening to that song or driving to that song.

Here's the song btw

Loading Video...