• 77 results
geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sweep:

I watched Paprika and then re-watched it again after not understanding a few scenes, that movie was more of a popcorn flick than anything in depth.

would deff not re-watch by myself

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcyclist lolol that scene actually had me dying that was some dark dark comedy,

i had to rewind it to actually comprehend what was going on

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its like how people say the gateway anime is cowboy bebop for people who dont like anime and think anime is cringe, when in truth the cowboy bebo episodes work cause you embraced anime already. A nonfan will watch it and get bored by the slow pace and out there premise of futuristic tech.

It's funny you say that because CB WAS my gateway and still remains one of my favorites. People recommend it because it draws really explicitly from Western film and music culture - there's a lot for people who've never experienced the genre to enjoy.

Perfect Blue is definitely one of my faves, but I also think it's shitty when people don't give a heads up on that. Really messed up movie.

Other than that, my answer's Nausicaa. Early Miyazaki films are really adventurous and I love that about them.

Leopold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only truly serious answer I can offer is Grave of the Fireflies. To this day, it is the only film to ever instill within me a sincere and lingering feeling of grief long after I was done with it. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to watch it again.

Non-serious answer is Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Perfect anime-wrestling crossover.

franzlska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Kiki's Delivery Service is probably my overall favorite, but I also have a weird soft spot for Penguin's Memory: Shiawase Monogatari. It's a promotional film paid for by Suntori Whiskey Company in the 80s, about their blue penguin mascot getting traumatized by war and starting a new life away from anyone who knew him before. Conceptually, it's ridiculous and shouldn't work, but there's an incredibly slow, quiet pace to most of the movie, and a surprising (for a film from 1983, at least) grounded attitude with which the protagonist's PTSD is handled that makes it honestly kind of work, at least for most of the movie. Movies like Akira and GitS are great too, but there's an unexpected quality to Penguin's Memory which elevates it, in a way.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@habster3: Its really good but cowboy bebop also has some serious introspective parts with alot of drawn-out scenes that work in the past but general audiences these days, not in the past, are super into fast-paced, in your face, go go go, stories. Any bit of not "hype" moments as the kids say, makes them call the show trash. Sad but people have this whole solid take that if it doesn't hook em in 3 or fewer eps then they drop it. No matter how good the ratings are. Many did this to classics like avatar the Airbender and called it child garbage, yu yu Hakusho and called it slow-paced and stupid, the list goes on. Cowboy Bebop is a great gateway anime but only if you're kinda ok with the idea of watching a show about the subject. I think a good gateway for people who really don't give 2 craps is something with like 10 episodes and something that moves at a lightning pace. Those aren't my jam but I kinda became jaded by the amount of discourse on everything popular becoming trash by newcomers this year.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I did my thesis on the Ghost in the Shell movies, but I think the BR version of Akira on a 4K Telly is unbeatable

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

When I was like 11 or something that First Pokemon movie was everything to me. Watched it non-stop. Nothing else ever came close, so I’m going to go with that.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Porco Rosso or The Castle of Cagliostro

Craig2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Castle of Cagliostro and Mononoke

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@alias said:

Porco Rosso or The Castle of Cagliostro

@craig2 said:

Castle of Cagliostro and Mononoke

The actual quality of animation in Cagliostro is astonishing for a film in the 70s

Avatar image for deactivated-619b03b9dff60
deactivated-619b03b9dff60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Wicked City or Perfect Blue, I also really like the LOGH: Overture a New War movie.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcyclist: Ah, that's fair. I was always into more deliberately paced films, so I guess that was never an issue for me. Still, I think a lot of people are open to that style of filmmaking (can't count the number of times I've argued with Dad over whether a movie like The Godfather could be made today), and people trashing Avatar is news to me. Either way, definitely agree people might be better off starting with a faster paced miniseries - it's asking a lot less for someone who's never explored the genre.

Muragami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Redline is stunning, just on so many levels, as mentioned already.

Satoshi Kon's Millenium Actress is a personal favorite of mine, just so good on musical, story, and animation aspects.

But I'd actually go with Steins;Gate: The Movie for me, but that is a hard sell in general because you can't really get it without having watched all the series first.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Transformers: The Movie. A 1986 classic.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Akira for me. I don't care much for the dumb anime story but it's so well-drawn. You see the crunch on screen paying off. Marraiges were ruined, birthdays were missed to make that look as cool as possible.

This_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Akira is definitely my top spot, but I have to mention Princess Mononoke in the number 2 spot, because it's such a close 2nd. There's just so much about Akira that makes it stand out though. Even if it wasn't an Anime film, it's just good craft and the stuff they do in there applies to all of film.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Macross Plus, but also Patlabor 1 and 2.

Pilgrimm1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Akira, to this day still my favorite ost of any anime

Mind Game, completely insane, love it

Grave of the Fireflies, heartwrenching

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Initial D Third Stage.

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By geeelectronica

everybody should give this a watch,

the garden of words, it is a damn good flick

Loading Video...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

One anime movie that I love but almost never see people talking about outside of certain circles is Windaria which is a fantastically tragic fantasy film. It also has a really great soundtrack and a very 80s anime aesthetic with character designs by Mutsumi Inomata.

Loading Video...

Yup, Windaria is very cool as well. Project A-Ko is good fun as well, sort of a "spoof" if 1980s anime tropes. Things like Black Magic M-66 were in my wheelhouse too - I like the full manga of AppleSeed better, but the OVA of Black magic is better told to show off Shirow Masamune (Masanori Ota) art work.

fasilabbas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By fasilabbas

Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Millennium Actress, The Sky Crawlers, (the short film)Garden of Words, Your Name, Howl's Moving Castle. A Cat in Paris, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Steamboy, Porco Rosso, Memories, Princess Mononoke; Cowboy Bebop, Knockin' on Heaven's Door; A Silent Voice, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society, Spirited Away, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Paprika, Tekkonkinkreet, Patema InvertedandThe Wind Rises.