Funimation Fun, Please Help.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rejizzle

Probably gonna buy a month of Funimation to watch that new My Hero Academia season. Anything else new and good on there, or am I gonna watch that new season of My Hero, rewatch the fight from episode 5 of FLCL and be done?

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I used to be subscribed to Funimation but almost everything on there is either on Hulu or Crunchyroll.

As far as what to watch depends on your preferences. I'm generally watching a couple of new shows and trying a couple of old ones at any given time.

Funimation usually has all the dragonball shows and Cowboy Bebop. Probably.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I prefer my Dragonball in podcast form.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

A lot of their catalog also seems to be on Hulu, but they do have a couple shows that one cannot legally watch anywhere else, especially if you want dubs instead of subs. Seems like it's the only place you can watch Eureka Seven, for example.

Generally though, I don't see much reason to subscribe to them for more than one month increments when I'm already paying slightly too much for VRV. When in doubt, there's always because.moe for all of your "What streaming service is this thing actually on?" needs.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When in doubt, there's always because.moe for all of your "What streaming service is this thing actually on?" needs.

Thank you for this. It is very helpful, and I did not know about it. Also was not aware of VRV. I assume it is a safe and reliable service?

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@redwing42: I don't know about how good VRV is but I know they are safe. They're one of crunchyroll's streaming partners.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-955749/introducing-vrv

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@redwing42: VRV is actually owned by Crunchyroll's parent company, so they're perfectly legit. Basically, you pay twice as much for access to *two* anime streaming services (since they're also partnered with HiDive) and a couple of other things, like a handful older Cartoon Network shows and whatnot. They also have their own original stuff, in case you'd like to watch that "Dan Harmon and friends play D&D" show, or the TV show that the McElroy brothers did a few years back.

My one really big quibble, other than the part where it costs twice as much for not quite twice as much anime, is that their streaming app doesn't seem especially great, at least on PS4.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Speaking of bad anime apps, viewer beware for the Funimation PS4 app. A very poor experience, I've had chronic connection issues as well as bugs with the video player and queue. If you have a chromecast, just cast the mobile app to your TV.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By AtheistPreacher

I kinda hesitate to recommend it even though it's probably my favorite anime series ever, but there's an older show only streaming on Funimation (as far as I know) called Texhnolyze. It is deeply weird, confusing, violent, disturbing, and--especially at the beginning--very slow. On the other hand, it's also thoroughly engrossing, thought-provoking, and mind-blowing if you give it time and are in the right mood for it. That said, I've more or less forced various friends and family to watch it over the years, and I don't think anyone I showed it to liked it as much as I did. So it may be just my quirky tastes.

Serial Experiments Lain is probably the easiest comparison that people might have heard of, but I much prefer Texhnolyze to Lain. It helps that the dub is quite good, because there's so much going on visually that it's a blessing to be able to watch it without needing to keep track of subtitles. The AMV below gives a good sense of the tone of it.

Loading Video...

Other than that, I could probably recommend plenty of stuff, but I don't really keep track of newer shows, most of my anime-watching was in the late aughts, and it sounds like you were looking for recommendations for recent stuff. Though my brother did get me into Haikyuu!! in the past few years, which is pretty darn awesome.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistpreacher: Man, I effin LOVE Texhnolyze. Preaching to the choir there. However, not sure I wanna be that depressed right now. Maybe in the Summer.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@rejizzle: Wow, what are the odds? I think there are about eleven people on the planet who really like that show, and everyone else is looking at us funny. And like you say, one has to be in the mood for it; I'd be lying if I said I didn't tend to watch lighter fare more often.

If you love Texhnolyze, then I assume you must have already seen another favorite of mine, Mushishi, which is both more popular and easier to recommend (and apparently getting a third season at some point). If for some reason you haven't, check it out. I only wish that they had dubbed the second season, because the first season's dub featuring Travis Willingham was excellent, but it doesn't look like it's ever going to happen.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers